1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and Christian?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CityBoi, Nov 24, 2020.

1. CityBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you be gay and a Christian? This has been one of the most toughest questions to answer and one which I am currently struggling with.

I am a 28 year old guy, currently dating a guy, but unfortunately still in the closet. I have just been unable to accept that I can be gay and a Christian. It seems like these two worlds just cannot coincide.

I have taken a small break from my relationship in order to properly give this topic some though. I am really hoping that I can overcome this struggle and gain closure on this one barrier that is currently holding me back from being my authentic self.

So can you be gay and a Christian? Any advice and support will be appreciated.

Regards xx

2. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, you most certainly can be a fully authentic gay Christian. Besides your EC family here, there are organizations which specifically will address your situation. I can think of one such organization located in Australia which has a wealth of information available online. They might also be in South Africa, I’m not certain. Best wishes!

CityBoi likes this.
  3. CityBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much for the reply. Mind mentioning that organization in Australia? Would love to have a read. Thanks

4. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the EC rules don’t permit us to post links to other sites. But I sent a request to the EC staff, to see if they would be willing to relay the link to you. I’m waiting for their reply.
    I realize that one’s faith is deeply personal, and as such, making the decision to leave one’s faith community for another can be very difficult. But do consider that possibility. I made that decision myself decades ago. One of the wisest decisions I have made in my life.

CityBoi likes this.
  5. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi CityBoi, As someone who worked for a church for years, when this comes up, specifically as i identify as a woman, I constantly have to remind people what Jesus always said love your neighbour, no conditions, just love them. Nothing can stop you from being you and according to the bible, the only thing needed to be a christian is to give your life to christ, nothing can take that away and nothing can stop you from going to heaven or Christ died for nothing.

So in summery, welcome and if you have any people who wanna hate on you for being gay, and you dont know how to respond, hit me up and ill give you as much response as i can.

On a side note i do know of a church in capetown that is alot more open about gay members, as the senior pastor who is the head of the group has 2 gay sons and is quiet open minded.

if you want to know which one let me know

CityBoi likes this.
  6. CityBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Jesse,

Thanks so much for the meaningful response. I am currently located in Cape Town and most definitely looking for a gay affirming church. Mind letting me know the name of the church?

This process has has been so tough but hoping for breakthrough in my life. Cannot wait to live an open authentic life.

7. CityBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much. Let's see what what they say. Else you could just give me the name of the site and I can search for it on myside?

8. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I will ask an admin if i can share this, or if they can share it to you

CityBoi likes this.
  9. CityBoi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much. Let's see what they say.

10. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven’t heard from admin yet. Let me check again.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see an issue with a community resource in Australia being mentioned, provided it's a general resource. Our concern with off-site mentions has to do with ways for members to communicate with each other off-site.

Also, OP, I'd suggest taking a look at the work of Matthew Vines. He has several free videos on Youtube and a good book. His research on gays and Christianity has caused a number of high-level Christian officials to re-evaluate their own perspective on gay and lesbian people in the church.

CityBoi likes this.
  12. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Chip - Thanks for the verification!

@CityBoi - the organization is called
    Ambassadors and Bridge Builders International. Best wishes for your journey!

CityBoi likes this.
  13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @CityBoi I could write a very long and detailed response to this thread, explaining why it's entirely possible to be gay and Christian, but I will leave it to one of your most famous countrymen to explain https://theconversation.com/desmond-tutus-long-history-of-fighting-for-lesbian-and-gay-rights-131598

Apart from the Dalai Lama, I cannot think of another world leader who has moral authority greater than Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

If you are looking for an inclusive and affirming church in Capetown, South Africa, take a look herehttps://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/ (search for Capetown and you should find four potential churches).

CityBoi likes this.
  14. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don’t think the two are exclusive. My fiancé is Christian and very Christian at that. I think the broader issue is the idea that a religion based on love and acceptance would have prove who are definitely not practicing that.

CityBoi likes this.
  15. EmilyWrite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This should not even be an issue, of course the answer to this question is a big, fat yes! The best friend I ever had is a lesbian and Christian and I support her and my other gay, bi, pan, and trans friends I've had. Really of of this bigotry and prejudice you see and hear of comes from a place of fear and denial, along with several mistranslated and many misinterpretations of the Holy scriptures. Hatred is why people don't know Jesus.