1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people even care about and judge someone's sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tightrope, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't get the amount of negativity that some people harbor toward sexual minorities' and the nature of their sexuality. So what if a person has an attraction to a person of their own gender? If two people have sex, and they are adults who consented to it, what is the big deal?

Society judges men more harshly. It has gotten better but there's a long way to go. If someone isn't religious, I don't understand what threatens them. Some people go nuts. If they're religious, I don't understand why it's as evil as they make it out to be. There are far more evil things than the friction of skin between two people.

The reactions that cis-gendered men get are all over the map, if they are gay or bi. Some people will cut them slack for being masculine 'enough.' Some will kid with them that they didn't think they did that sort of stuff. Some will outright turn on them.

If it's affectional, it's not anyone's concern. If it's sexual, it's about pleasure that comes from skin, nerve endings, erogenous zones. Why do people even care? I don't get why this topic is such a big deal to people who it doesn't affect.

#1 Tightrope, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    SGee, Bastion, Andrew7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Power. Same as everything else people judge about. They need to see themselves as more powerful than you, so they find something they're "better" at. Straight is seen as better than gay because most people are straight, so they put themselves in the higher position of power. To maintain that artificial superiority they need a group to look down on, and the only other group than straight is non-straight. Therefore they judge. Men care more about power, so men are judged more harshly, it's just a tiny bit extra superiority to add on.

#2 Destin, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    elegia, SGee, Bastion and 3 others like this.
  3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people get bent out of shape by anyone or anything they see that is different. They kill each other over minor details in how to worship what they see as their "god" and how that "god" wants to be worshiped. They torture their children if the children are not neurotypical. They even kill each other over artificial lines drawn on maps. They attack each other over differences in diet, clothing style preferences, sports teams. So it does not surprise me that they get upset over this issue also. I think that people need to not just accept but celebrate the fact that we are not clones. The variety of people makes us stronger as a species, we need to accept it and use that to help and support each other.

Bastion, BiGemini87 and Tightrope like this.
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never thought about it this way. It makes sense, though. I always surmised that people (mostly men) who weren't too attached to religion found it distasteful and didn't understand it or want to understand it. Religious people in some congregations think of it as a serious wrongdoing. It makes me laugh.

The power part might be about their looking at being in a marriage or a relationship and having children as power. That belonging to all the things they belong to could be about power. A good number of companies have gotten better at dealing with diversity. Some are still stuck in the mud. Like you said, it's one more thing to lord over someone with.

Yes to all of this. We've had some incidents here where there has been violence at sporting events over different loyalties that have ended tragically. I had my therapy session this week and it got a little sticky over this. I mentioned that most people let people who are very similar into their circles. The therapist believed that it might not be as true as I make it out to be. Clones hanging around together is very common. If you look and listen for a while, you might see how this might go with new people you meet. You then have the option of moving forward or backing away. A person has to be right there to feel things out.

Destin likes this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adding to the points made? Boredom. Dissatisfaction with their own lives, the feeling of lacking in control where life and their decisions will take them. Fear of the unknown, fear that they'll be subjected to some of the lewd behaviour some of them are guilty of, fear that they themselves might not be as straight as they believe...

Honestly? Any number of things. You don't see it only with sexuality, either. You see parents judging other parents on their child-rearing skills, people in certain careers judging themselves against their peers, girls and boys being competitive with each other not for the sake of excelling, but to be better and "not like" the others. Anything to create some semblance of control, of feeling unique in a world where they fear obscurity.

But for sexuality itself? Control and fear are probably the top contenders.

Shorthaul, Bastion and Tightrope like this.
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They fear things they were taught to fear or be repelled by. My parents never brought up sex when I was real young. Nothing good said about it. Nothing bad said about it. My first thoughts I recall about people having any kind of sex was that it was no big deal. It must feel good to them. It was later based on listening to what kids in school and religious figureheads said that made it "seem" wrong. But it never seemed that wrong. I think that they were a little too hot headed about the subject and it didn't make much sense to me.

One company I worked for had a real problem of a head guy who had a wife and a lot of kids. We had gone to a meeting out of the office. We then had a group of people in the conference room talking about that meeting back at the office and what we needed to do. One man at the meeting out of the office had some peculiar ways about him and pinged a little bit. During the meeting back in the office, when his name came up and someone was going to say what he was seeking, our head guy blurted out, "That homo." Maybe our head guy was a head guy after all.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  7. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think some people genuinely find it weird. I believe some heterosexuals just can't comprehend the idea of non heterosexual attraction. Perhaps due to a lack of exposure from their environment results in the concept feeling abnormal to them. If it's something they've rarely seen, and then all of a sudden get exposed to it, they might think it's unusual/rare/strange.

But personally, I'd find it weird if someone tried to tell me (either directly or indirectly with judgement (weird looks etc)) what I was allowed and not allowed to do with my own sexuality. As if they had some type of authority over how I should enjoy my sexual life.

Tightrope likes this.
  8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can see this viewpoint but at the same time I find it to be slightly unusual how some males and females fawn over very attractive members of the same sex - to hang around them, to give them a job, etc. Men won't talk about it but some women will go on and on about how attractive their new woman friend is. And these women are supposedly straight.

Sex has some big androgynous aspects - shoulders are shoulders, arms are arms, legs are legs, necks are necks, etc. Most of the time, that's what you're in contact with. I know I see it that way. But most people don't, I suppose. I'm sure we have seen in TV or a movie where they quickly pan over someone's uncovered back and you quickly took notice. You then get a big surprise when you learn that it's a man instead of a woman or a woman instead of a man. That's just one example.

9. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You wouldn’t believe how many times the title of this thread or thought came into mind.
    But there is no one answer to this. And some of them are mentioned above. Like fear of the unknown, ignorance, power, dominance. Repressed sexuality and internalized homophobia. Making someone feel inadequate, that they are better than. They are less than. Prejudice against a minority group. Having religions condemning that for the sake of who knows procreation maybe. That was what we used to hear. Unnatural. Wrong. Sin. Not normal. Still I don’t agree with the word queer. What does that even mean and according to what?

10. RD Spencer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most people seem to have a lot of curiosity about LGBT sexuality and not necessarily in a bad way. I have been insecure of my own questioning so I rarely bring up the topic of being gay, but at the same time I find it very interesting how often people I am talking to bring up the subject of other people being gay or who they think might be gay. Over the years there has been a handful of acquaintances/friends that liked me well enough but also seemed to bring up the gay topic a lot when talking to me.

11. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the often over looked reason is breeding. Anything that doesn't produce more humans, does not contribute to society expanding and continuing on.
    The hard core pro life people don't care about what happens to the person after birth, just that they are born.

Bastion and Contented like this.
  12. shaunb33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    because some people are weird like that