1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in Astrology?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LetsGoNow, Oct 21, 2020.

1. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never really took astrology/numerology seriously at first.

I started to read some books on the occult because I was seriously bored. I encountered astrology and read deeply into the subject.

I found it to be very interesting. I never encountered the term birthcharts, moon, divisional charts, the ascendant, the 12 houses and so on until I researched into this esoteric subject.

Whether it is true or not, I find the subject to be very interesting. I feel like it paints a character profile as opposed to predicting the future. Actually some books in astrology admit that it is a flawed subject and should never be used to predict the future. It is more of a forecast of people's behaviour sand personality traits.

I read my birthchart and it was pretty accurate.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To an extent. I don’t let it dictate my life. I did read my birth chart and it does seem pretty accurate. I also like western and eastern astrology.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. There is absolutely zero scientific or logical backing to any of it. Someone literally just made it up from their imagination and then found ways to justify it to themselves. The people who believe in it think their personality is the same as their sign because they've made themselves that way, molding who they are around what the sign says they should be.

4. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's interesting to say the least. Haha, not sure I'm 100% into though.

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The 'star signs' published in magazines and newspapers are just a bit of fun. Proper astrology is a quite complex study of planetary alignment in relation to earthly events. I believe astrology is just looking for patterns and relationships that don't exist. While the subject may be fascinating, the position of the planets can have no possible effect on a person.
    That is just my opinion, but I suppose you would expect a "Leo" to say something like that!

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. Personally I feel like they are worded so that 80% of it could apply to anyone. Then people just write off the other 20% since the other 80% is "right".

7. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  8. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do and I don't. Culturally, I come from a family who have deep-rooted belief in astrology. My paternal grandfather was a very experienced astrologist, who drew up annual astrological charts for everyone in the extended family. So in that manner I do believe in astrology.

But I also don't. Because it is a pain and inconvenience in life, if you let beliefs like astrology take complete control of your life, which I've seen in a lot of people I know. I don't actively look up my astrological chart or ask a spiritual/astrological advisor (My family has tons of those!) for assistance. But when my parents go ahead and do it anyway (on my behalf) I do listen to what the suggestions are and follow them to the best of my capability. So I don't actively seek astrology, but if it finds me or if it is presented to me, I do respect and follow it.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In India they follow Vedic astrology, which can sound quite limiting at times.

I do find the charts to be very interesting when defining traits and personalities. Some feelings are hard to define. Giving it a name can help, well for me it did.

I looked at various branches of astrology (vedic, western, occult, etc) and what I found is that it is an incomplete subject. When doing some research apparently astrology is a subject, which cannot be understood on its own. It is not even meant to be a scientific subject at all or even to be provable. In fact, the planets, stars and fictional points are merely reference points. With the research I have done, I doubt people of Babylons (apparently where some branches of astrology originated from) were claiming that [insert planet] is manipulating and defining the personalities and scope of our lives. It is more of a record of how similar people behaved when under those planetary positions/fictional points (e.g. rahu/lilith/ketu).

In fact, I remember someone who does not believe in this sort of stuff did mention that the Sun has a huge impact on human health. Lack of exposure to sunlight can cause all sorts of problems such as depression. Since the Sun is a star I find that interesting.

11. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not one bit. I have a friend who's really into it and believes heavily in it. But for me personally, I just don't have any interest or belief in it at all.

12. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Interesting question. Like most here—a little from column A and a bit from B.
    My son is not big on self reflection so I read/follow Sea Goat stuff; (sidebar—who came up with sea goat??) and then bug him about what stars say. I think at this point he would miss it if I stopped. Okay, just let me believe that, please.
    I think it can be a great resource for being positive and should be used thusly.
    But, to blame the stars for failures is a slippery slope.
    ((momhugs))

ps I used the word thusly

13. JustSami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love astrology, but I don't read too much into it. I read my horoscope, but I don't let what I read make a huge impact on me. I like my libra sign, but I don't completely conform to it. A horoscope may remind me to treat myself or talk to a friend, but it shouldn't be revered as scripture in my opinion. But it's up to you how much you believe in it, whatever makes you happy :slight_smile:

14. Jameeees

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah, I do! I also do tarot. I get why people don't though its hard to put your faith in something like stars or cards I found both very helpful and pretty accurate too.

15. kosher0786

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree to the point that I shouldn't be used to predict future. Generally I have seen people fallen mentally sick by heavily depending upon future predictions. And also I feel that it is an incomplete science. Why to consider effect of permutations and combinations of only nine planets when a person has whole universe surrounding him. The distant stars and planets might also be effecting him. I think old espressions of astrology have to be rewritten again with new cosmic findings. Then only we could find whether it is a correct branch of science.
    Also all the prewritten effects and predictions are based on the fact when we are on earth i.e. earth centric. When we go to moon or mars or say we space travel a new branch of astrology will be needed as there the effect of planets are not determined. So if astrology actually got generated from mathematics then who knows there might be a branch that could evolve else.....????

16. kosher0786

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would like to add to my previous post. While in outer space I believe cosmic science will come into use replacing astrology studying effects of nearby and passing by space objects and their effect upon humans there. That will also be a kind of astrology if predictions are done then.

17. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I think it can cause people to develop some mental health issues.

I think if some scientists start to investigate space objects and whether there is any influence of such objects, it will be given a completely different subject name.

18. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it would be the cause of mental health issues, I think that people who get obsessively involved with it already have issues and that the focus on this subject would just be a symptom of their problem.

One issue with depending on it, even were it true and I do not think that distant objects in the universe can affect us (research effects of tidal forces etc), the charts were created thousands of years ago and due to precession would no longer be valid in the timing that they are set up for.
    https://www.livescience.com/4667-astrological-sign.html

19. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I look at horoscope.com and it’s highly accurate a lot. I don’t know much but like to know If I’ll win the lotto.

20. bokscales

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    i feel like most people who don’t believe in astrology only know their sun sign but when you look at your chart it makes more sense... i was pretty skeptic until i learned more about my entire chart. i’m already an adult, i’ve already developed my own identity and reading about my chart just made everything make sense and it was scary accurate... i believe everyone was born at their exact time for a reason and astrology shows that.