1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So happy right now

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicteach, Sep 21, 2020.

1. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The following part I think means you get notifications when I post. I dunno I just try to be a lighthouse in the storm. Everybody needs one of those.

And yes! The marching band keeps me busy!! This years schedule is light for semi obvious reasons but even still, busy busy busy!

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want y’all to know it’s currently 25°F and it’s snowing.

3. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does marching not keep you warm and toasty? :wink:

4. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was at home nice and warm and toasty! When I’m out with marching band though I’m layered and bundled up. Like Friday night I had an under armor shirt, long sleeves band shirt, band hoodie, and my rain jacket on top of.

5. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I admire your dedication to your career. Is it more than a career? Seems from “chatting” with you it is more like a calling.
    The youth are certainly dedicated as well—probably cause of their role model.
    So, getting to know you (no pressure to answer, I am curious) what instrument(s) do you play?
    Just a quick note on your wardrobe choices. I can picture you wearing so many layers that you look like Michelin Man (or I am dating myself with that reference?)
    ((momhugs))

6. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love music, I’m very passionate about it. Love my students to no end, even if they are a handful. And honestly we continuously push each other — me and them. From my perspective it’s always a desire to give them harder music, more complex drill so that they can broaden their horizons. They in turn push me to find harder music and we write more complex shows. The field show we’re doing this year is rated for a college marching band. The music alone is professional grade music. But they’re absolutely beasting it.

So my main instrument is trumpet. That’s where I started. Although in high school I picked up the tuba and marched it a couple of years. But when I was in the Navy I played the trumpet. I’m very proficient on all brass — I’m brass player. When I did my strings courses in college I went with cello so I’m pretty good on that. I’m decent enough on percussion I don’t really know all the finer aspects but I can survive. I suck on woodwinds. Honestly I can only really be decent on bassoon, which is weird because it’s one of the harder instruments.

I mean I’m quite skinny to start with (I’ve been picked up and carried in my adult life and I’ll be 34 this year) so yeah I do resemble an overstuffed cannoli occasionally. Like last year I was arguing with some dude being an ass at a hockey game at the end and I literally got picked up and thrown over a shoulder. The secret is layering smaller, thinner clothes on top of each other. Under armor is amazing for this.

7. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hopefully this long thread is not in wrong place as we keep going.
    The trumpet? Oh my heart beats faster. My son planned on trumpet (we saw/heard them on a parade), but he wound up being unable to play. I am such a fan!
    I am a music lover, ask my kid, but I have no idea how to read music.
    Can we clone you? You come across as the teacher we all need right now. Please, please never lose your passion for education. Just please.
    And a vet? I am married to former Army Ranger Sniper (not a SEAL though comparable) so you have to know I love our Armed Forces. How long were you in? We quit at 23. Sorry, retired. Thank you for all your service.
    My family knows all about layering, and it makes you smart to use it.
    Where is the video of you being carried about? It sounds comical. But I hope it was in good fun and not against you.
    You are such a role model—thank you for being you.
    ((momhugs))
    PS I have been enjoying our chat—thanks!

8. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading music is just like reading a book in English. It has “grammar” rules and different words. Everyone — and I do mean everyone — starts with the basics. From there it’s just working with it and using it everyday. Just like learning a new language, practice everyday. Ironically I ended up picking trumpet because I hoped it would annoy my siblings the most.

I love what I do. Don’t get me wrong there’s days where it’s so beyond frustrating and I’m probably going to be great before my time. There’s a lot Red tape. There’s a lot of logistics involved. I mean even just trying to move the whole band from our high school to one of the middle schools for a pep rally is a massive under taking. With you being experienced with the Army think about the sheer logistics of moving the army from point a to b. I face similar challenges.

The carrying me part my fiancé and I were at a hockey game and this dude was running his mouth talking pure junk. I was ready to fight that dude. I might be tall and lanky but I’m a scraper and I was ready to throw down. So my fiancé was trying to drag me away but I wasn’t having it. He eventually said f*** it picked me and threw me over his shoulder.

9. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    HA! Did your trumpet tactic work?
    I want to read music, but at my age (shh wait till I’m done) my biggest music for reading is at Church. And, I have yet to find someone with time, but I still shout it out. Or, yes, sing. Most I know—Church music tends to be same songs over and over...and with streaming (my son is so proud I used that term!) I can look up lyrics and just enjoy.
    You are from TX, you take scrappy for granted. I am from NY, can you tell by my attitude? :slight_smile:
    Ahhhh, your Prince Charming. Feel free to ignore next bit, if you don’t respond I will not ask anymore. To start, I am here to learn and learn how to be supportive member. I worry I am stepping in poo with posts, just not completely comfortable and mean no harm. (way to start off...).
    Can you share your love story?
    Hoping I have not upset apple cart and upset you.
    ((momhugs))

10. musicals

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just dropping in to say that i also love reading your marching band exploits, musicteach :slight_smile: I used to be in the school band back when i was in school, and reading your posts reminds me of those days, even though i graduated highschool only a couple of years ago. I don't miss school, but i do miss playing in the band (lol). Despite being a fancy art school, my high school never had a dedicated marching band. We had a concert band that also 'doubled' as a marching band when it was time to march. I was the 'honorary junior director' for my schools band for 2 years (because i was the band teachers favourite student, lol) and the leading male vocalist. I also played clarinet for 14 years. Nothing makes me happy like sitting down for a while and playing my clarinet <3

Anyway, I'm curious - what repertoire do y'all play? Judging by your posts im assuming that its standard military marches or the hal leonard/alfred popular classics. Have you ever played any 'big band'-type stuff (Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Tex Benneke, Bob Crosby, Paul Weston...etc) or is your band strictly a marching band? Also, have yall ever done 'scramble band', 'flash-mobs', or any such 'fun deviations'?

11. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely worked to annoy one brothers. The others didn’t really seem to notice.

Church music is actually one of the bread and butter ways to read music!! And historically before publishing became more wide spread often times the only access people had to music was church hymns. So that’s a perfectly valid way to read music.

Nah you’re fine, and sure.

That’s so great!! We actually play a little bit of everything. We do play “pop” music, but we play marches too. Like for instance our field show this year is Pirates! By Gary P. Gilroy (but highly tweaked). The band does do stand songs like pep band style around half time then does half time. But we also have a talented concert band. Because if the way our scheduling works students can either take only concert band in the second semester, or they can do both semesters both cover and marching band.

Yeah we do flash mobs! They’re so much fun! Last year when Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker came out we did a flash mob at the movie theater opening night. It was fantastic and so much fun.

12. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ((momhugs)). Do you do mash ups? I loved on Glee when they did it (poor Naya). Again, dating myself. What was/is your favorite routine? Of yours, not Glee.
    Depending on where you are tonight’s weather might be nippy. Is there a weather cancellation policy? Or do y’all play if players play (HA)? And, do cheerleaders work with you? Flag team?
    I am so happy we have met and hope one day to be friends! I know that takes time, but I enjoy the process.
    ((momhugs))

13. musicals

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :dizzy_face: you guys do band as a class/course?! I'm jelous now, my school only had it as an extracurricular, take normal music classes in school but do band after school/on the weekend -__-

Your students are extremely lucky.

Oh man, please tell me you did that in costume. That'd be hilarious:smile_cat:

14. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So like tonight when we’re expecting bad weather myself, the football coaches, and the cheerleaders are always in communication with one another (we have a group text). We stay ahead and watch the weather, and we try too make the best decision possible so that everyone stays safe. The game tonight is still on as it’s not expected to start until late tonight. There’s really only three people that can cancel a game: the head coaches from either school and the lead official for the game. If the three of them are in agreement the game shall go on.

Yes! Band as a class! It’s really fantastic. Our classes are 85 minutes long, so during the school day we get a good extra hour of practice, plus long practices after school. We also have choir during the day as well, which I also teach. Then I have two prep periods compared to everyone else’s one. And yes we did! We had about a hundred students dress up as storm troopers! We had some dress as rebels and the rest were just in their uniforms waiting in the theater. It was a lot of fun!

15. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Look at this. Wholesome content we all need!
    ((momhugs))

16. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to share this story. So Friday night at the football game (it was an away game) they had a moment of silence for a student that had passed away recently. When it was over, one of their trumpet players started playing “Hallelujah”. The rest of their trumpet players joined in. Then out of nowhere my trumpet players joined in and it was this really awesome moment.

Mystic connects people. It transcends boundaries and lifts people up.

17. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don’t underestimate the healing power of these three things: music, the ocean, and the stars.

Unknown

(
    (momhugs))

#37 Lucy Marie, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
  18. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. It is said that mathematics is the very language that the universe is written in. And that may be so, but music is riddled with math. Music is the voice that lifts the soul, it’s the air beneath the wings of a bird. It’s what powers our emotions which you’re watching a movie or pain a video game. Where words fail, music excels. Music transcends above all limitations. It doesn’t matter where someone is from, what language they speak, if they understand you or not. Because the music you play is your voice. They might not speak your language, but you speak the language of their soul.

And I’ve seen this more than enough times to believe in the power of music. Playing with the Navy I had the unique experience to play round the world. I’ve performed in places where I didn’t speak their language I wouldn’t have even been able to order simple food. But I was connected to those people because I put my trumpet to my lips and played. They felt something because I felt something.

#38 musicteach, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
  19. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last night was a fun home game. One of the coaches let me know he was going to propose to his girlfriend after the game. So I had the band learn “Going to the Chapel” so we could help them celebrate. So after the game he pulled her to the center of the field, thinking everyone else had moved on and was going home. She said yes and here comes the band. It was great for both of them.

20. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And for you—last hurrah for season