1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pope Francis, in Shift for Church, Voices Support for Same-Sex Civil Unions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Oct 21, 2020.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is an amazing step. And, hopefully not the last.
    ((momhugs))

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what to make of it. It was very unexpected. What caused this proclamation? How will those in the higher echelons of the church who are very conservative deal with this? There will be some rattling of cages to come. Stay tuned.

4. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Truly surprised was I. I am former Catholic and current Lutheran. The Lutheran Church adopted us as equals a while back. I would ask, is this the potential to be bigger than marriage? I see it as I said, a step which hopefully leads to Catholics embracing marriage for all. Was this the harder step or will Catholic Church be bigger?
    ((momhugs))

5. Loves books

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools ( in Ireland it’s difficult to find non-Catholic schools). Once I turned 18 I was no longer forced to attend mass. I’m Agnostic now. I have a lot of problems with the church and along with the fact it bothered me to see a large statue of Jesus on the cross, their homophobic stance is one of them. We were told it’s okay to be gay as long as you don’t practice it. The newest Pope does appear to be slightly more gay friendly than previous Popes. Sooner or later the church has to get with the times. You might be able to keep it congregation if you’re not condemning them or their friends and family for things society no longer condemns them for.Maybe the Pope realises this and is trying to keep people in the Catholic Church.

6. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your strength of character—wow! The one place we (humanity) are always taught we will be accepted as we are we, no pretense, is Church. I said this elsewhere, but religion can become perverted by man for his gain. Faith is between a person and their God. You don’t know me (yet?), but here ((momhugs))—extra for how you overcame and do not hold your anger.
    I believe a lot of Pope Francis’ job is to undo damage Pope Benedict did. Remember him? Most loved Pope John Paul, II (he will always be my Pope) and then Benedict saw a return to some dangerous (my point of view) ideals....the Church saw that, convinced Benedict to step aside (I truly admire that!!) and now Pope Francis is playing catch up to other faiths. Luther saw trouble in Catholic Church long ago and I believe that is why the switch was easy for me. I turned to the man who said to Catholicism “whoa there”. My son longs to return to Rome :slight_smile: but I do not think I will.
    Thank you God for allowing Pope John Paul and Pope Francis such long lifespans.
    ((momhugs))

PS God is for all AND so is love
    ((momhugs))

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was so happy when I heard this! As a Catholic bisexual, my religion and my sexuality are constantly in conflict. It's nice to know that there is hope that someday the church can change it's opinion and embrace those of us in it who currently aren't fully accepted.

8. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wonder what made him say that. It is very surprising.