1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CAT0, Aug 22, 2020.

1. CAT0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey I just fixed my laptop today and I messed up a couple of things but it looks fine. But want I want to know is if there is a good laptop under 200$ that runs a little smoothly. Any recommendations?

2. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think for that price you won't find anything that isn't extremely laggy. If you have to buy something in that price range, you could consider looking at Chromebooks which should run better in this price range than a windows laptop.

What happened to your current laptop?

3. CAT0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't understand what I was doing and the key boar clips wont hold the keyboard down in one part and it's just mildly annoying.

4. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see, sounds quite troublesome, I can see why you'd think about getting another one.

You could always consider using a USB or Bluetooth keyboard with it, especially if it gets worse.

5. Jlan3825

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In that price range i would suggest just uograding from a HDD hard drive to an SSD hard drive. This will help out alot with your lagging and will be under $200.

6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My old laptop had a similar problem where the clips on one end broke. The laptop was functional in every other way except for that, so I went and got a temporary fix. A neighborhood electronic devices repair shop guy put in a small piece of tape (I don't know what else to call it. It wasn't scotch tape, something stickier and thicker) and stuck it to the underside of the keyboard and it laid flat. I continued using the laptop for over a year, till the other parts went kaput (The laptop was over 9 years old by then) and had to throw it away.

Do you think you could do that? I'm sure there must be a youtube video out there somewhere showcasing a solution to this problem, in a similar manner. That might work for a while, in case everything else is ok with your laptop.

7. Old Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am on a really big computer running a system called Bionic Puppy.
    It has all the things I want and it runs real fast, it is a little tricky to learn.
    But this system can run fast and good on an old computer.
    If you can find an old Windows laptop and download a version of Puppy.
    You can make a boot-able flash drive, test it, if you like it do a frugal install.
    Have your self a computer that has all kinds of internet capability, full office, and more.
    Virus, Forget about it.....FREE

8. Old Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It comes with apps for Face Book, Twitter YouTube,,,,I never use em,,,,
    it does have limitations, but full public media, and office
    It does do somethings better than like Windows or Mac and somethings not as good

9. PeterWI

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It'll thrash the SSD as well. The bottleneck is likely RAM (much less likely to be processor speed itself as Windows iterations and running services get fatter, but they do). This can be checked using Task Manager or Performance Monitor. When you see a page fault, it means the OS needs to load a page of memory from the virtual memory stored on disk. This is orders of magnitude slower than RAM, and means there's no point in trying to speed it up using a slightly (in terms of memory access) faster hard drive.

A cheap upgrade would be RAM, but it's not worth it if the laptop isn't worth keeping. However, if your computer is running slowly, the culprit is almost always RAM.

Speaking of RAM, I like Ram90's idea of using tape. Nothing wrong with duct taping things together until you can get something better. A Chromebook can be a cheap solution, as is running Linux, like Puppy Linux mentioned above, on older hardware you can afford. The downside to Linux is having to spend a bit more time on your operating system to make sure everything works. But now, even Netflix will run in Chrome running on Linux, so you're pretty much good. And a Linux system will almost never get slower so you can run your hardware until it dies. Like the keyboard falls apart :wink:

#9 PeterWI, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  10. Jlan3825

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

He just wants a cheaper laptop. Increasing RAM is great and all, but it doesn't sound like he will be doing a whole lot of multi-tasking so increasing RAM wouldn't be the biggest bang for her buck here. He can still increase virtual memory without upgrading RAM. SSD financially is just the better choice here. I prefer to upgrade to SSD and upgrade RAM all at the same time, but you gotta do what you can afford.