1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Finding Acceptance Possible In Today's Social/Political Climate?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by okherewego, Sep 27, 2020.

1. okherewego

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be clear, I'm not trying to start any debates or arguments here - I would just like to see if there's anyone else who feels the way I do right now and if there's any insight they are willing to share.

As someone who suspects they may be an MTF transgender person and is going through the motions of self-exploration, I am well aware that if I were to transition and come out there would be a great expectation placed upon me by "the community" and others to adhere to a very specific set of predominantly left-wing ideological principles. I despise the current state of Western politics, and the idea of certain human traits, characteristics or lifestyle choices (especially ones so personal as gender identity and sexuality) being mutually exclusive with holding any one political ideology makes my blood boil.

It has gotten to the point where, in the continued craziness in the US in the past month or so, I have begun to second guess whether or not I should continue my self-exploration, lest it leads to me wanting to transition. This should be about expressing a deep and very personal part of me, not a political statement - nevertheless, I fear that it will be viewed as such by many, if not most, and certain ideological expectations will immediately follow. If I wanted any semblance of acceptance from anyone, I'm afraid I'd have to give up my individuality, ability to speak freely and other key aspects of my personality.

No one should have to make this kind of choice, but I cannot help but feel like it's unavoidable if I continue down this path. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it truly as do-or-die as it seems to be?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really depends on you. For me it was do or die. I allowed myself to be put through conversion therapy which did help stuff it down for a couple of years (about two, three at most). Then the pressure built up, with me in a marriage and having children. Eventually I had a total breakdown. I have found that there is no way that I can live pretending to be male. I also no longer live in the USA and I do not want to return. Living in the USA as an LGBT+ person is just too risky for my nerves.

After all that I have been through one piece of advice that I do give. If you can comfortably live conforming to societies requirements regarding your birth assignment then do so.

whatisaman likes this.
  3. Findmepls

Findmepls New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Similar thoughts have bounced around in my head. My opinion is that the majority of society preaches acceptance but practices tolerance. The rest of society that truly does accept hides in the closet due to the majority. Yes there are those few that are very open and vocal about their acceptance of people like us but they are a very very small minority.
    Like I said that is only my opinion.

4. okherewego

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *I should clarify that it is not so much about persecution by individuals who take issue with LGBT people - that, unfortunately, will happen even in the most tolerant of places and I believe this will always be the case to an extent. But this is not enough to stop me; what I was referring to in my initial post was heavy politicization of identifying as trans, gay ect. and the expectation from what at least seems to be a large percentage of the LGBT community for me/others to fall in line with a very specific political mindset.

As seen on social media, the social-political climate is very much one of "us and them" - any kind of diversion in opinion often leads to shunning. Again, I generally dont have a problem with people taking issue with my lifestyle choices or outlook - that's the cost of being an individual and true to yourself - but to be shunned by both those who dont like LGBT people AND what seems to be the majority of the LGBT "community" (who would ideally be sympathetic to my struggle) for refusing to follow every aspect of their political ideology to a "T" feels like it is too much to bear.

I realize that this is a choice only I can make - I just wanted to see if others felt this way too.

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do not know if I agree or not. You are being deliberately vague about what "ideology" you believe to differ on. There are issues that I can disagree with others about and still be involved with them. There are other issues where disagreement will make me distance myself from others. I still think they have a right to their opinion but I don't have to listen to it.

If a person is a racist, I don't want to listen to anything they say.
    If they are intolerant towards other religious beliefs (or as in my case nonbelief) I don't want to be around them.
    There are more but I think I have listed enough.

whatisaman likes this.