1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what did it feel like when you first realized you were trans gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dino001, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Dino001

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been questioning my gender identity for a few years now. I have always leaned more bro like energy but have also over compensated most of my life with revealing clothing and too much make up. I thought I had a serious eating disorder until i bought my first binder and realized my chest was really what i had been struggling with i still feel very confused as to if i am gender fluid gender queer or if i am a man. I want to be a man.. and the thought of not being one terrifies me. However there is a lot I would be hesitant about in terms of actually coming out. I am not sure if that makes sense but if you guys could tell me a bit what you guys felt in the "beginning" that would be tight. thank you.

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Elated...and terrified.

It was like being struck by a thunderbolt; as if a switch in my head had been thrown from male to female. Suddenly a whole load of things in my life made sense, at last.

Beth

Clara7 likes this.
  3. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree about life making sense. I've called it my M Night Shyamalan moment, where I could see my previous world view as a tangle of rationalizations and all the dots connected cleanly by themselves. I'm nonbinary, and early on I remember talking with a trans guy who (sympathetically) said, "Well, at least I know who I am." At this point I'm kind of less concerned about my specific identity, and I'm more concerned with simply allowing myself to exist as the person that I am. In a way it's just one more relationship.

Everyone tries on different identities as they live, and being transgender means that there's a whole lot more variation about who you may be or how you want to present yourself. Play around and keep what you want or what you need.

4. Hypernova

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first I was like: "oh wait.... I don't want to be a boy........ but I don't have a choice............. oh...................."

And then I was like: "OMG YES I CAN DO THIS I'M NOT CRAZY...... OMG WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!"

So I nothing.
    But I'm doing stuff now!

5. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was sitting in the bar for karaoke between sets(Ironic, Alanis Morissette and Criminal, Fiona Apple), in “Girl Mode” when I had my moment of “this is me”. And I know that time is really the only way for alcohol to leave the system, but I suddenly felt more clearheaded than I had in several months.
    I immediately asked if a friend was coming, because I had something important to tell him. His immediate thought was “oh crap, she’s going to jail and needs the bail money.” (Yes, he was already using she/her pronouns for me even before my transition) and then I panicked because I realized I needed to let work know. So I sent them an email, wanting to set up a meeting to “discuss a major life change” with them—they figured out what it was themselves.
    But I’m rambling, it felt amazing when I had my “this is me” moment

6. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me it was not a sudden realization that I am not what the doctor said I am. I knew that I was really a girl as far back as I can remember. I had been fighting living as my true self for years because when I was around 4 or 5 I tried to tell my mom and that was a disaster which shoved me way in the closet for years. At 23 for Halloween I dressed up (pretty stereotypical right there). At that point it flashed, I cannot NOT do this, this is me! I came out to a friend, he helped me find a therapist who I saw for several months and within a few months I was on hormones and only a couple months later I was living full time.

7. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Total joy and relief. I spent decades I internally tearing myself apart because my thoughts, needs and feelings didn't match anything I knew about. I felt free.

8. JessNC

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It was a gradual path for me and I am currently wrestling with what transitioning means for me. What I know, however, is that when I admitted to myself the need to transition my world began to make sense in a way it never had previously. Today I got the cutest pair of pink short-shorts for lounging around and it brought me a moment of such joy. Such a small, silly thing but an affirming moment nonetheless and only possible because I was open to a simple desire that would not have been possible in my man mode.