1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to combat self doubt regarding sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Omegduh, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Omegduh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve been constantly doubting my sexuality after some comments were made to me and they continuously replay in my head and making me wonder if I’m just a straight girl in denial about my sexuality and makes me doubt my attraction to women. I have continuous evidence that says otherwise that I am attracted to women, but I still self doubt it a lot. This came up recently because I finally somewhat figured out that I really like women (I was repressed for a few years due to the fact I was trying really hard to date men and was dealing with some other issues). I know I should listen to then helpful comments, but I can’t shake the doubt that they could be true.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever the comments were, the person (or people) that made them can’t know or determine your sexuality. Only you can do that, as I’m sure you know.

Doubts are not unusual. For me, it was just a case of time. The doubts gradually got less powerful and frequent until they went away altogether. As being gay became less and less of a new thing and was instead something that I had mentally adjusted to, the doubts did become much easier to bat away. Don’t worry, you’ll get there.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    @LostInDaydreams pretty much describes my experience, too.

Before dealing with my gender I went through a similar experience, wondering if I might be a gay guy. I was able to accept that I liked men and found them attractive, but had a hard time figuring out how much I liked them, and in what way.

I think that if you like women, then you like women. If you like women enough to even question your sexuality, then you're probably not straight.

4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever was said to you by whoever, I wouldn't put any stock into it. Only you can determine what your sexual orientation is, based on how you feel and what you've experienced.

5. FleetFoxes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lots of things in our pasts, in our upbringing, and comments we've heard can make us question ourselves. If you're having ups and downs and figuring it out, that's completely ok. I am still figuring things out to some degree! Make sure you're getting enough time for yourself and try not to be too influenced by the options of others, and their perceptions of sexuality labels.

Omegduh and Andrew7 like this.