1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does opposite really attract?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Wilzyax, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We all heard the saying «opposite attact», and of course all that makes sense when it comes to heterosexuals. Women are feminine, and naturally want a man that‘s
    more masculine , but do the same applies in gay couples?

I ask out of curiousity. Do hairy men prefer smooth guys with clean, little or no body hair? And opposite, does guys with less body hair prefer guys that are more hairy?

I ask, since I‘m a guy that naturally has very little body hair. I’m in my mid 20s, but bodyhair never happend, still smooth, expect for a few light hairs on arm, legs, and some armpit hair and above my junk. Other than that, I have none.

Personally I prefer hairy guys with lots of body hair. But then again I get afraid that none such guy will ever like me, because I would be too feminine for them.

Which leads me to thinking, and my question, does the saying «opposite attract» really applies to gays as well? Will more masculine men prefer more feminine men, and feminine guys (like myself) prefer more masculine guys. Or am I alone in this thinking?

Really want to here other guys opinions and preferences.

2. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I assume it varies but I think they definitely can attract.

I would say I probably have above average body hair, but I'm very attracted to the type you mentioned, smooth, feminine looking guys. In some cases masculine guys are even a turn off for me, (like body builders etc)

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the opposite of you. Hairy and prefer smooth although it really depends on the guy. So yes

Tightrope likes this.
  4. ChristelSa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Assuming that you don't just mean sexual complementarity.
    Science (and dating sites) mostly disagree with "opposites attract". Most couples look alike, have common interests and come from similar backgrounds. Perhaps this is different for queer people that have a self image (or desire) that differs from their actual outlook?

HedaGR and QuietPeace like this.
  5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as physical I am a feminine woman and I find both feminine and butch women attractive and I even find some men attractive though they cannot be the hypermasculine type.

As far as personality I agree with @ChristelSa 's comment that they need to be close to me in terms of preferences of hobbies and with politics and religion.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wilzyax.....I don't think that you can draw any kind of a concrete conclusion just from "opposites attract". There is just a lot more to attraction than that. Every individual has their own preferences, their own eye for beauty. Opposites in a relationship are not necessarily a good thing. If you don't have significant common ground to base a relationship on, you'll probably have a short relationship.
    ......David :gay_pride_flag:

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No.

You might like some things about someone that are opposite of things about you. Total opposites can be difficult. Most people I get along with have some things about them that are very different but we have more in common than not.

I believe the experts who look at this don't usually recommend it or don't see it working out long term.

gravechild likes this.
  8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not opposite to the point where you have nothing in common, but you also don't want an exact clone of yourself

CuteBitch likes this.
  9. DangerAlex

"Opposites attract" is an old adage, not a rule or a science. So I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

Because while I'm sure there are plenty of situations where hairy are attracted to hairless (and vice versa), I'm sure there are also plenty of hairy men who prefer other hairy men (and smooth who prefer smooth). I don't think there's a specific rule or formula where hairiness = preference for smoothness or smoothness = preference for hairiness. Ultimately, what we find attractive is subjective and probably not a function of our physical characteristics.

As for me, I don't have a particular affinity for hairy or hairless men. I think my preference falls somewhere in-between.

On a "hairiness scale" of 1 to 10, I'm personally around a 3, or maaaaaaybe a 4. My boyfriend is a bit hairier than me, so he's probably around a 6. He used to keep his chest shaved smooth, but over the past couple of years, he's cut back on that. For me, I think he looks best when he has his chest and public hair cut short but not totally shaved off. Think "buzz cut for the body." He's got a thin frame (but not wiry), so I think he looks really, really good with really short body hair.

#9 DangerAlex, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  10. HedaGR

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you should be concerned about it. It's a matter of taste. Some hairy guys might also like hairy guys or smooth guys. I don't think it has to do with two people being opposites or not