1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you get your flu shot?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jan 14, 2020.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The flu vaccine is tested by experts, and is proven to be safe. There are a small minority of people who experience side effects, but overall, the reduced chances of getting (and spreading) the flu outweighs the risk for most people.

2. jenniferf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has nasty stuff in it.I got one once and did get the flu the next day.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Flu shots will not 'get you sick, cannot give you the flu, do not contain 'nasty ingredients'. That is all, quite simply, bullshit.

Destin and I have already given very detailed clinical information about the positives and negatives associated with flu shots. They do have value for some people, it is not a binary "they are good" or "they are bad".

For the love of God, if you're going to make some claim, please at least have the decency to read the entire thread so you have some understanding of what you are talking about. This will, perhaps, cut down on the ignorant stuff being posted.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get them annually when autumn begins. My insurance covers it and wants you to get one. I have never had a problem after receiving the flu shot. It's over before you even know it.

5. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had mine in the autumn. Seems to have worked well this year so far. But wasn’t so good last year. Had flu twice after the vaccine last year. Generally works ok.

6. Loves books

Both my father and I have an underlying medical condition which apparently makes us high risk. I would probably be okay but the muscular condition is worse in my dad he would be in danger if he got the flu. My mother recently got chemo so she’s at higher risk. Flu shots all round. When I’ve had the shot I’ve never had the flu and I’ve never had a bad reaction to it. If it doesn’t work, that’s fine but it will do me no harm to get it.

7. Halolala

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No. I'm naturally immune to viruses in general, so what's the point. Never had a flu in my life, even in the middle of epidemics with all my coworkers infecting one another. It's pointless to get vaccined for something that doesn't even affect you.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That’s how I use to be, but then during the 2017-2018 flu season, I had the stomach flu twice and the flu flu once and I was sick for almost two weeks with it. Now, I always get one. Especially amid this pandemic, I’m going to get the flu shot the first opportunity that I can.

9. Halolala

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm aware that things fluctuate pretty much, so if you feel like it's changed for you and you need these, you made a good choice. Who knows if my immune system is going to be that strong within a few years, too :grin:

10. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never have. The only time I've really ended up with the flu was when I was at university and caught fresher's flu. It was the most horrifying flu experience I'd ever been through. If that wasn't enough to generate an immunity to the flu, I don't know what will have.

11. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn’t work that way. Your body knows that exact variety of flu, but it does not transfer immunity to newer mutated variations your body hasn’t seen yet. The vaccine development each year guesses at the varieties that are most likely to be in circulation in the next flu season in your region. If the guesses come close, and you get that current shot, then your body has a jumpstart in being able to fight the strains coming into circulation.

I’m already seeing notes to get the flu shot early this year. If my doctor has it, I will get it at my September appointment. If she doesn’t, I’m going to figure out where else I could go, where my insurance covers it (maybe one of the minute-clinics?).

12. Sophia04

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes I do, despite the fact that I have a phobia of needles. Hopefully getting a flu shot every year will help me get over my phobia. It's possible to get over a phobia right?

13. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes, I assure you, I'm very much aware of that.

It's one of those remarks one makes where they know it's not true, but saying it makes them feel better.

After the hefty flu I had, I caught another the next year, and then a head cold earlier this year.

14. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, twice in my life I have gotten a flu shot and both times I ended up getting the flu pretty bad. When I don't get the shot I only get the flu about every four years and it is usually not too bad.

15. Eboni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stopped when I was 6 six i got super sick after I got it

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Got my flu shot within the last week. This year, the jab was a little more painful but there were no side effects whatsoever, like a slight headache or feeling down for a few hours. I've sometimes had that and never worried about it. There was a tiny bit of discoloration where the injection went in but it's gone now.

17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never gotten a flu shot, but I also rarely get sick. I think my immune system is pretty strong overall. Just a few months ago my ex got the flu with aches, fatigue, fever, and everything. I only got a mild sore throat that lasted a few days (I still tested for covid just in case, but it was negative). I occasionally get a mild cold that lasts just a few days, but that's the extent of it for me.

18. Crow67

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes. Every year. After sanitation (providing clean and safe drinking water and removing waste from the common spaces), vaccinations have had the biggest medical benefit of anything else ever.

19. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have nothing against the shot, but I rarely get around to getting it. But a few weeks ago I had my blood drawn to check my hormone levels and they offered it, so I went ahead and got it.

I didn't think to ask the nurses about this, but my mom always says to keep moving my arm so it doesn't stiffen up afterwards. But since I had a bit of a long drive home, it did get a little stiff (not much room to move it around, but I did make a few stops on the way).