1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you wear men's clothes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This question is aimed at the women here. Personally, I have days where I dress more androgynous and other days where I dress quite feminine. I still shop in the women's section, even for the more androgynous clothing and sometimes these items show up in both sections. I've thought about wearing men's shirts. The targeted ads I see on websites are often a mixture of dresses and men's button-up shirts. I've seen some nice shirts on sale.

When I was younger, I used to feel pressured to dress one way or the other. That I could only be a tomboy or feminine, that I wasn't allowed to be both. However, as I've gotten older I've realised that I rather like wearing both styles. It very much depends on the day for me.

Anyway, I have a fairly rectangular body shape and I'm small-chested. I'm probably looking at a UK small but I'm not as familiar with men's clothing sizes. Any advice?

2. Stephanie8

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wear a mixture of both. Style is a feeling not an outfit. Wear what makes you feel happy each day, and let yourself be ok with it. ❤

3. Loves books

I wear jeans and t-shirts everyday but I get my clothes from the women’s section. Mostly because I think the whole country shops where I shop and despite the fact that there are two whole floors dedicated to women’s clothing sometimes I like the clothes on the half a floor the men share with the kids. If I thought I wouldn’t get strange looks I’d wear the men’s stuff. But if your okay with it then go for it.

4. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say I actively wear men's clothes now, but have done in the past. Some of them can be so damn comfy, whereas women's clothes can be so skimpy and in the winter it's like designers forget that some women would very much prefer to be warm than wear the world's thinnest crop top.

I think the most common item of men's clothing I've worn has been jogging or tracksuit bottoms. They're so comfy and baggy. Great for when lounging around at home. I still have a few of my brother's t-shirts that he didn't want, so I use them for bed sometimes.

5. Loves books

One winter I was having problems finding warm clothing since all the women’s sweaters had the shoulders missing or empty strips across the back. I don’t get the point of clothes that don’t serve a purpose. The men’s sweaters were thick wool and looked so warm. Fashion has no place in my life especially when I’m freezing.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, out of necessity. I hate and will not wear suits

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men's clothes have either the same size as women's or are larger in the same size. So your size will be still small. Unless you want to go seriously oversized. Not all shops will the the S size. You can try M, but it could be on the oversize end.

One way or another, I have a difficult time shopping for clothes in the men's section. They account for a different figure.

I haven't had luck with shirts from the men's section. They just have huge seams and buttons and collars etc. , it looks out of proportion on a thinner person. Sweaters seem to have lots of volume for the biceps too, it seems off. I've had better luck with less formal outfits that were meant to be baggy anyway.

8. Shavs1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wear ladies shirts and jeans im really comfortable in just a t shirt and jeans and i love hooded. Just dress in what makes you comfortable.. if its men's clothing so be it

9. Sophia04

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wear a mix of men and women's clothing. I'm very uncomfortable in dresses and men's clothing has pockets. Who doesn't want pockets?

Also, on this topic (kinda), any ideas of formal clothing that isn't a dress or suit? I feel very out of place wearing either but I don't want to come of as rude at formal events by not wearing something formal.

10. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to put a label to my style I'd probably lean toward androgynous, and yes I mostly browse and shop in the guys section. The clothes are just more comfortable imo and there's pocket space, haha, and in all seriousness guy clothing just fits my body type better overall. I'm just a basic skinny jeans, plain shirt, and canvas shoes kinda girl. That's not to say I only wear male clothing, I own/wear female clothing also just nothing too feminine likes dresses, skirts, heels, etc. Wearing extreme feminine clothing honestly makes me feel awkward even as a child, at a certain young age I refused to wear dresses anymore and I've been dressing this way/the way I want since middle school.

11. Sparky2002

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm super feminine. I wear dresses all the time and T-shirts and shorts sometimes. I always shop in the girls section and I just feel comfortable wearing whatever. However, if you want to wear mens clothing, then go ahead! You can wear whatever you want. Just google the size exchange first so you know ot get the irght size!

12. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The most direct answer to your main question is, I wear my own clothes and I am a woman therefore I always wear women's clothes.

To address what your question actually implies, do I wear clothes that come from what is labelled the men's section: yes but rarely now. I have a flannel shirt and a snowsuit which were both designed for men (which really just means that in the snow suit there is a zipper in a place that does me no good and the flannel shirt has buttons on the opposite side)

Mostly I dress really feminine but I have worn men's jeans more often in the past. Men's jeans are far more comfortable they don't fit like a girdle they have space everywhere. One of the main reasons that I wear dresses and skirts are that it is easy to find dresses and skirts that do not fit tightly against me (this is a sensory issue for me). I also try to wear the highest cotton content possible (another sensory issue).

One thing about men's clothes is that sizes tend to be more consistent. With S,M,L etc they are just somewhat larger than women's. When you get absolute sizes they generally are sized by measurement. So shirts are measured by collar diameter and pants by waist. The best policy really for any clothes is to try them on before you buy them. Most places have a changing booth, even most thrift stores (which is wear I buy most of my outer clothes)

13. Vivica

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me, I mostly wear whatever is in the front of my closet or top of my drawer. xP. I wear a lot of my older brother's old clothes. Sometimes I like wearing very bold clothes. I guess it depends on what I was just watching or feeling.

14. Omegduh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After realizing that I'm attracted to women and coming out (halfway out really), I have been dressing more masculine because that's what I'm more comfortable in. I'll mix both men and women's clothing as in, men's shirts with women's pants because those tend to fit me better. But I'm planning on trying to buy more masculine clothing eventually. I will say that it's made me feel more comfortable dressing for myself rather than then performing femininity for men all the time. I still do wear makeup occasionally as well, although it's just for fun and I purged my closet a lot of clothes I don't feel comfortable in like dresses and what not. As I say, dress how you feel comfortable.

15. amber211

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I often wear men's clothes, it's more convenience for me. But in my place, there are many shops sell unisex clothes that means boys and girls can share the same styles, I feel good about it.

16. Hawk77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just ordered some new clothes for fall online. I ordered from the women’s section but got one men’s fleece. I wear men’s or unisex t-shirts since I don’t like fit of women’s. I also wear men’s sweatshirts. Other than that I mostly shop in the women’s section for things like jeans and shirts. I sometimes wear feminine colors like purple.
    I still get mistaken for guy sometimes though even when wearing women’s clothes.

17. Awydd

Awydd Guest

I mix I guess, I hate the thing where they will get the same shirt but make it ‘fit’ better for women.... like I don’t want a shirt sinching to me ,soo I’ll pick the guys fit or unisex.

18. DomLezStud

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am more stud so yes. Usually form fitting, stylish and "label ho" lol.. I wear men's necklaces, rings and bracelets. I have earrings though but they are 12g nip rings in my ears only. Most my clothes are black, white and gray. I also wear men's cologne, Versace or Armani code.

19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t understand why they leave so little space in between the legs for women. Camel toes aren’t hot at all

Obviously, I wear men’s clothes, because I’m a transgender dude. And I wear some women’s clothes too, the unisex styled ones, because the fit is better.

20. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I tend to have the opposite issue- particularly with wearing tights. I'm fairly lanky (5'8) with a short torso and long legs. Whenever I go shopping for jeans I buy high-waisted tall jeans, anything with a low waist isn't staying on me without a belt or adjustments. Buying tights is a nightmare. Usually they fit, but were clearly made for someone of a shorter build. There's a lot of space between the legs which makes it feel awkward when walking. Sometimes I absently pull the fabric up and rip the tights in the process. :face_palm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.