1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Daniel Radcliffe speaks out

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Jun 9, 2020.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only reason she killed off Tonks and Lupin was because she spared Arthur Weasley in Order of the Phoenix after Nagini attacked him.

I also feel like her statement on Dumbledore's sexuality is basically just queerbaiting. No evidence at all throughout the main series and then in Fantastic Beasts it feels like a plot line they don't really want to explore. Sure they try to hint at it but to me it seems like the movies try to see how close/intimate they can get Dumbledore and Grindelwald without actually saying they're a couple. I also feel like Grindelwald is not actually gay and was just using Dumbledore's feelings for him to get him to go along with his plans. I know that Dumbledore's sexuality doesn't even need to be relevant to the plot and just because he is gay we don't necessarily need a gay storyline, but you can't tell us a crucial character in the series is gay without showing something about it.

2. Hawk77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I first saw it a long time ago. Don’t even remember what year. Could have been early 2000s or earlier. That’s really cool that you were in it! Must have been a cool experience! There was an article in the paper about the controversy of being trans exclusionary maybe earlier this year and that surprised me. It’s been a while since I saw it but now that you mention it I do remember hearing about the version with trans women.

I am trying to figure out how to reply to a post since I’m new here. Not sure how to quote the original post)

I was involved in church activities growing up but not too conservative. I was a member of United Church of Christ (congregational) which now is pretty liberal. I did have a close friend who was evangelical though. She and her family tried hard to get me to go to an ex-gay program. I can imagine it must have difficult to have been difficult to grow up in a conservative religious environment. Some of them are pretty rigid in their beliefs.
    . A lot of my friends were homophobic when I was high school at the time I was figuring out my sexuality. I guess that’s why it felt so good to go to my first concerts and be around so many other women. I saw Chris Williamson as a teenager back when she was singing with Tret and also Melissa etheridge. I still go to concerts occasionally. Saw Kd Lang not that long ago. I took a philosophy of feminism course in college and read essays by second wave feminists. I enjoyed other women’s studies classes. So even though I’m a bit younger I still felt attached to second wave feminism.
    I can see why some older feminist are attached to their identity and those spaces. I always dreamed of going to Michigan Womyn’s music festival but never made it. That was a controversy years ago. I wished they would have just included trans women and not made such a big deal out of it. I don’t know how that controversy turned out.

JK Rowling has now made several transphobic posts including mocking the idea of saying People who menstruate instead of saying women. It was pretty insensitive. I can’t remembber the exact wording. She has said quite a few other things too. I was a member of the women’s union in college. In addition to various support groups and activities we sold environmentally friendly menstrual products and other things. While I was there it changed to Gender Empowerment Union or something like that to be more inclusive of trans issues. I think trans sensitivity training and support groups for trans folks is a major focus now. They still sell menstrual products. I can understand that not all women menstruate and some trans men do. And non-binary. JK Rowling made a big joke out of it. She recently returned a human rights award she was given because of the controversy with her ongoing transphobic statements.

#22 Hawk77, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Hawk77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HI Quiet Peace. I replied to your post but am still trying to figure out how to use this system. I answered some things within the text that I quoted from you. Still trying to figure out how to quote others in a reply. If you click on the quote my reply is in there. Anyway, Nice to meet you! It’s cool that there are some older members on here too!

4. skygenie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only saw part of the title, thought it was going to say "Daniel Radcliffe comes out" lol. I don't know much about Daniel or Rowling for that matter, but I'm glad Daniel came out to say this. Trans women face enough discrimination as it is, without Rowling's hurtful comments.

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It was, I was tricked into doing it but since it raises money for organizations that support women who suffer violence I stuck with it and I am glad I did.

You can quote as many of the posts as you want, when you hit the button that says "insert quotes" it allows you to select which ones to include and then you get this editor. It puts code in like this [*QUOTE="Hawk77, post: 6710840, member: 104263"*] the persons stuff is in there, and it is minus the stars inside the square brackets[*/QUOTE*]. You can edit what is included to make it shorted or if you only want to address a certain part. You can also copy and paste it to make separate things like I have here (I have been on a lot of forums which is how I know this).

They decided to cancel the whole festival rather than allow trans women to attend. Pretty spiteful and immature of them in my opinion.

It is a real issue. My husband would menstruate while my mother stopped at 30 because she had a hysterectomy because of cancer. I also have a friend in her 20's (she is cis) who does not because of certain health issues. Giving back a human rights award seems good, given that she is part of a group who only believe in rights for some humans.

6. Loves books

I never really thought of JK Rowling when I thought of Harry Potter. I know she’s the author but the books are a major part of my childhood and I still reread them these days. I won’t stop reading books because the author is transphobic. My limit knowledge of trans people is that they were born in the wrong body. That’s what I got from the two books I read with a trans main character. I don’t think anyone but the person themselves gets to dictate what gender someone is and what qualifies someone as a certain gender. You can’t use menstruation as a qualifier for being a woman. Does that mean that women who have gone through the menopause are no longer women? I get kind of confused when someone thinks they have the right or authority to tell someone they are or are not something. You can tell Spider-Man he’s not a hero but words can’t change people. You decide what you are and no one can choose that for you.

7. Hawk77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just saw yet another post about JK Rowling. It was on the website PINK NEWS. Which is based in the UK.
    She was wearing a t shirt that supports a trans phobic business. Actually Nothing wrong with slogan on that particular t shirt it’s the other merchandise sold by that group had graphic trans phobic slogans

8. burg

Daniel Radcliffe stared in one of my bests friends movies guns akimbo. hes the nicest guy on the planet. always helped out on set. Never acts the star. he actually consciously chose to be a good guy after seeing what fame can do to ones personality.

i told him my nephew thought boarding school was going to be like Hogwarts so he sent him a video for his first week at school explaining the difference between Quidditch and gauntlets. his house master and Dumbledore. he who shall not be named from a pedo etc.

9. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care about some Harry Potter author views.