1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird music suggestions!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by cookiecake, Aug 2, 2020.

1. cookiecake

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Put your less-popular, genre-less, confusing, or otherwise outstanding music suggestions here! I will listen to as many as I can as I see them, and come back with a similar suggestion or two if I can.

If you're interested:
    My musical taste is strange and all-encompassing. Generally, my favorite genres are prog, metal, rock, hip-hop, edm, pop, and alt/indie. Obviously these are all very broad and I have subgenres I prefer over others, but I'd say my favorite albums and songs are either hard to define, genre-less, or a mesh of several.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure if my music taste is considering too boring, but I DO like alt/indie, so I'll post some of the weirder sound ones. Hopefully it is the correct era for you :slight_smile:

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't know any "weird" music... but maybe this will help?

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Ah, yes, my type of thread! I love getting lost on the weird side of Spotify and YouTube when it comes to finding new artists to listen to, especially when it comes to punk and metal since you're bound to find a lot of gems in the muck and mud from every corner of the world. If you're looking for general stuff as far as metal (and I guess the fringes of hard rock) goes, I recommend Metal-Archives. My thing was to sort by country or subgenre and see what I could find. You'd be amazed by the metal scene in certain countries, especially heavily conservative ones like Afghanistan, Egypt, Iran, and Iraq and how hard they go. The YouTube channel This Exist also has great stuff about bizarre and unconventional musicians and genres that are worth looking into.

Here are some that I can think of in no particular order;

1) Arctic Spirits | Assiliarsuaq (Greenlandic Heavy Metal. IMO, they sound like they may have been influenced by the 80s metal scene, and I mean that in the best way possible.):

2) VHS | The Ballad of Harry Warden (Canadian Horror Metal. If you enjoy horror movies and metal that doesn't take itself too seriously, give them a go.):

3) Xiu Xiu | I Luv the Valley OH (American Experimental. Xiu Xiu is indescribable in a lot of ways, and will probably the most mainstream band I'm likely going to mention. Jimmy is a haunting vocalist, and damn, this hits on a different level.):

4) The Caretaker | Everywhere At The End of Time (English Electronic/Rock/Experimental. You've probably heard about this album by now with it trending on Youtube again. It's a heavy, experimental piece delving into the stages of dementia.):

5) Nanook | Ingerlaliinnaleqaagut (Greenlandic Indie Rock. If I'm not mistaken, the music video was for one of the first, if not the first, Greenlandic horror film back in 2011 or so. The group is pretty cool.):

Part 1/3

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    6) Lucifer's Hammer | Garden of Solitude (American OSDM. If you're into old school death metal, give these guys a shot. They only made a few EPs and two full-length albums before disbanding in the early 2000s, but they managed to have a small cult following and their old drummer can be found interacting with fans on re-uploads of their material. They have this really neat sound that bridges on being melodic, symphonic, and doom, which suits them nicely. Be sure not to confuse them with the Brazilian group with the same name if you decide to look into them.):

7) Windows96 | One Hundred Mornings (Brazilian Vaporwave. If you're a sucker for the 90s, then buckle up because you're gonna take a trip back in time. This is so funky that it should be illegal, and it really does sound like the embodiment of browsing the web or just booting up your computer in 1995. It's just magic.):

8) District Unknown | Struggle (Afghan Psychadelic Metal. I don't remember a lot about them ever since coming across them maybe 5-7 years ago. I think they're an anonymous group for safety reasons.)

Part 2/3

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    9) The Folk Implosion | Natural One (American Rock. I haven't heard much of their work yet, but if you've seen Larry Clark's controversial film "Kids", you probably remember this.):

10) Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Random Luvly Moncton Blue(s)/Dadmomdaddy (Canadian Experimental. This is a sampling of their rare, considered lost, EP "All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling".):

11) Sorceror | Spring (German Hardcore Techno/Speedcore/Gabber. If you're into EDM/Hardcore Techno and you like your jams hard and fast, give them a look. I think Sorceror was just a one-off side project, but it can get you amped up. This Exists has a good video about the topic of speedcore, gabber, splittercore, speed metal, and extratone that mentions them and other pioneers of the genres. The track "Summer" goes much harder if you want something faster.)

Part 3/3

And that's all I got for now as far as artists I can throw around goes. Well, mostly because I don't want to clog up the thread with additional posts since I forgot there's a five video limit per post rule. I still recommend checking out Metal-Archives and This Exists for ideas.

There's a lot of really weird stuff that I could go on about; like Stalaagh (an extremely brutal experimental group), Skinflint (a Botswana heavy metal group that incorporates African spirituality and influences into their work), Red War (a brutal death metal hoax band that claims to hail from Pyeongyang, North Korea), all the weird ambiant subgenres, avant-garde metal, Japanese citypop, and so on. There's plenty of killer YouTube channels out there that cater to showcasing various genres as well that cast a huge net for different flavors. I'm subbed to a few channels that have the more campy grindcore stuff like Party Cannon and Goolagoon to the more hardcore grindcore/powerviolence stuff of bands like Wreck and Neckbeard Deathcamp.

7. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This seems like a fun thread, lots of interesting stuff to discover here.
    I'll try not to be surpassed on uniqueness though.

I love this one, was cool to see it here.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've got some weird, and also some weird-closer-to-mainstream. First the weird:
    Manring Kassen Darter. They are three amazing musicians that, especially Tom Darter, produce som very unique out-there jazz. (The following tune is not improv; it is scored for three parts, note for note.)

Morton Feldman, "Rothko Chapel", 20th century classical minimalism (also pretty out there):

And now, my absolute favorite musician, Jacob Collier, two completely different styles.
    Jacob is considered by many "musician's musicians" as perhaps the greatest living composer and has been repeatedly compared to Mozart. He is amazing as a live performer as well.

#8 Chip, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  9. okherewego

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1.)
    Radiohead has written way weirder music than this, but for me personally this one gets pretty close to crossing the line between 'cool weird' and 'obnoxious weird'. Doesnt get as much appreciation as it deserves imo.

2.)
    From their most recent album. Very different from the songs that made them famous back in 2007 (Kids, Electric Feel, etc.). I'm a big fan of the chord progression and insturmentation in this one.

3.)
    These guys have a knack for programming awesome sounding synths and drum beats/sounds.