1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's skin care

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BothWaysSecret, Sep 2, 2020.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anybody know good products or routines for men's skin care? I keep seeing ads for one brand called Lumin, which looks like it might be good but I was wondering if any other guys here have a routine and what products do you use.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had pretty bad acne (mostly around my mouth and neck) up until about two years ago when I completely overhauled my routine. Now I almost never have pimples (maybe one a month, usually after drinking a lot of alcohol the day before or pounding a tub of ice cream), and the ones I do have come and go completely within 12-24 hours. I'm no cosmetologist, but I definitely felt like I gained a better understanding of how you're supposed to take care of your skin.

I don't know if you're specifically talking about acne, or just skincare in general, but here are the principles I follow now:

• Prioritize moisturizing. If you use a face wash daily (especially one with salicylic acid/other acne treatments), you need to be moisturizing every time you wash your face to replenish the oils you're clearing away. This was a *HUGE* failure for me throughout my adolescence. I used tons of face washes because I thought that's what I was supposed to do, and was always disappointed that they didn't work. The reality was that my skin was severely dehydrated and irritable due to this. I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (it comes in a small tub). Additionally, I use CeraVe "am" Facial Moisturizing Lotion with SPF-30 in the morning.

• Use the most simple products possible. I use VaniCream Gentle Facial Cleanser for my am/pm wash. That's it. Then I moisturize with the above moisturizer. Tons of people on Reddit recommended this wash and moisturizer combo.

• If I get sunburnt on my face or excessively dry/dehydrated, I will put a layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on my face after moisturizing so that the moisture gets locked in.

Are you having issues with skin care, or were you just generating some discussion?

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about shaving though? Apart from keeping the razor clean, how do you avoid acne from that?

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've also seen ads for Lumin. Though, I don't have much of a routine (or any routine for that matter). I had fairly bad and consistent acne, which I was prescribed acutane to treat. I am interested in starting a skincare routine, I also don't know where to begin, or what's good.

5. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ended up just adjusting how I shave. I used to use a wet razor with shaving cream which really irritated my skin. I switched to just using a facial hair trimmer (I got a Philips Norelco OneShave, highly recommend it) which doesn't need shaving cream and doesn't irritate my skin.

I also was prescribed acutane, but I simultaneously changed routines from my old, horrible one to the simple one I mentioned above.

6. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There’s some stuff called “bump patrol” that I use for after shaving. We don’t necessarily have to be clean shave for work but that’s pretty much how I keep mine. I shave with a wet razor and shaving cream. Then I use some of the bump patrol stuff.

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Acutane = isotretinoin? If so, I take that right now. I’m finishing the treatment and hope the acne won’t return. I tried everything and skin care doesn’t change much. I just have oily skin. And allergies. Acne was not only on the face but on the chest, shoulders and back too.

Normally, using a face wash and a moistruizer should suffice. Sunscreen if needed.

I’ve seen those razors and they seem decent.

Interesting. I’ve heard that shaving cream decreases irritation. But I’m not sure if it should be used with electric razors.

Aha so that’s an aftershave.

8. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's the same thing. Accutane is just the brand name.

9. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah kinda. You can get it like at Walmart. If you can afford it also recommend Harry’s which is what I use. Their after shave balm is amazing. I tend to use both. Might be overkill but. They have a lot of great products.

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    European vs American bran names and different shops...

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was refering to general skincare and just wanted to generate a discussion on which products men use here and routines, because I wanted to start one myself but wasn't sure what would be best. Not having any specific issues. I already shave but wanted to look into moisturizers and stuff like that.

#11 BothWaysSecret, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've found using warm/hot water helps as it opens the pores, and also keeping the skin taut on the area being shaved. I've heard mixed messages on whether to shave with the grain or against the grain

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My routine is fairly minimal, mostly because I'm lazy and I don't have the energy for a lot of upkeep.

The most I use is a hydrating morning burst scrub from Clean & Clear, a simple toner, and a basic moisturizer with SPF. I bounced around with different products like Oxy face wipes, Proactiv, and dermatologist prescribed products when my acne was a problem when I was a teenager. Even after being on T for over five and a half years, I haven't had any real problems or issues aside from some oily skin and the occasional pimple. So, there's not a ton I've really had to do to keep things under control.

14. j4ss3n

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It all depends on your skin type. I personally have dry and sensitive skin.
    My skincare routine is quite simple.
    In the morning I
    1. Clean face with warm water and Clarins Men's active face wash.
    2. Apply Toner, I use Guerlain's Super Aqua-Lotion
    3. Apply moisturizer, I use Shiseido Men's Moisturizing Emulsion
    and depending on the weather I may also apply sunscreen. I like one made by Estee Lauder in their DayWear line. I find it light and non-greasy.

At night, I just use warm water to wash my face then toner and Lancome's Ganifique night cream.

I try to stay away from products that have excess amounts of alcohol and silicone as I find it irritates my skin.

15. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm probably gonna start using makeup on my eyes. I've always had dark circles under my eyes, and they've worsened in recent years.

16. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I use a normal face wash to exfoliate the skin, something with Salicylic acid to calm down my acne.

Then I use alo vera gel on my skin. It feels good.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I start out with the grain and finish up with against the grain to get it all. I could sit under the shower forever. My shaving mirror is in the shower and not by the bathroom sink.

I'm not fanatical about doing it regularly. I was staying in a hotel and I must have been bored because I looked at the grooming supplies. I found some moisturizing lotion by Mineral Springs. It smelled really good and I read what people thought about it. I work some into my forehead and around my face before I go to bed when I remember to do that. They have different "flavors." It's not very expensive.