1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do your ancestors originate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A fun question, especially since there are many Americans on here and they often like to speak of their ancestral roots.

Can apply to anyone though, very few people are 100% descended from one country.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad's side is from somewhere in the UK. My mom's side is mostly Ukrainian but has a small percent of neighboring countries thrown in.:slight_smile:

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m Dutch on my mom’s side, and Norwegian on my dad’s side.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ireland mainly. A lot of people tell me I look really Irish, and my both my first and last names are super Irish too...

I guess it would explain being short and a love for drunken antics, I'm apparently a leprechaun. Top O' the mornin to ye lads, you'll never get me pot O' gold.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    North America, Mediterranean (if you go back hundreds of years; don't have any direct family from there that I know of), perhaps parts of Middle East, Africa

6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Irish on both sides of the family, but also German and Romanian on my mother's side and my dad's ancestors are from a few places but I cant remember any except for Lithuania and Ireland.

Since I'm Irish on both sides I've been cursed with the terrible Irish skin that burns too easily and never tans. Thank God I'm not chalk white though, I definitely am paler than most but I'm not pale to that extreme.

7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t understand why I don’t have that, I’m pale if I stay inside for weeks but all it takes is a couple beach days and I get a pretty nice tan without burning despite my Irishness. Luck O’ the leprechaun I suppose

#7 Destin, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A lot of Irish folks and those of Irish decent burn easily, myself included. My mother's family are Irish descended gingers, they have 0 chance of tanning.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m Greek and German on my dads side and Italian on my moms side.

10. Obsidian3

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cool post!
    From my Dad's side Spanish, German. My mom's side, I am not sure haha although i think it is indian Aztecs.

11. dbri

dbri Guest

I am a direct descendent of William Bradford of the Mayflower on my dad's side. My brother did the 23 and me thing and we basically are a mixture of Western Europe, the UK, and Norwegian/Scandinavian. There are several historians and lovers of history in my family so we have a good amount of proven data. The furthest back that has been semi sorta confirmed is to King Clovis I , first King if France. Around 500 AD if I remember correctly. It's difficult to look back that far with little to no written documentation, but cool noon the less.

12. Silver101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a huge mix of basically everything but I'm mostly German and then Polish.
    :flag_de: :flag_pl:

13. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that I have two Irish great grandparents (both on my mum's side) and possibly a few more ancestors that come from Ireland. The rest is pretty much exclusively Scottish to my knowledge but I don't really know for sure. Maybe I have an ancestor from somewhere other than Scotland or Ireland, who knows? Would be interesting if I did, I always thought I was born in the wrong country after all, I just don't really mesh with Scottish culture.

Americans always have such interesting ancestry. I no doubt have a number of distant relatives over there (I definitely do have a few second cousins in California).

I need to look up my ancestry more. Who am I related to and where do they originate? Could find some interesting results.

14. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I highly suggest going to an actual genetics laboratory for that type of testing, and not using the off the shelf 23 and me type stuff. Those off the shelf-places are basically factories that churn out thousands of tests per day, and they mess up lots and lots of them due to either incompetence or just not caring since no one can prove them wrong anyway.

An actual genetics lab can perfectly analyze your DNA with no errors and show you why exactly they're correct, with no risk of your sample being mixed up with someone else's or whatever in the factory system. Real labs are more expensive, but you only need to get it done once per lifetime and then you know forever so it seems worth paying more to know 100% that it's correct. There's even a residency for physicians to become genetics experts and they can tell you exactly how predisposed you are to get or not get every disease there is based just on genetics, and how to avoid the ones you're predisposed to.

#14 Destin, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen YouTube videos where the same person sends DNA to 23 & me and a couple other similar places and gets different results - Yikesss. Maybe I should hunt down a genetics lab lol

16. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm a few things, mostly German, English, and I think Swedish.

17. RavenK

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad says his family once moved to Ireland a long time ago and that's why our last name is spelled without an E. Apparently no E was the popular spelling in the area. My mom's parents came from Germany, but my Grandpa is adopted so he could've have ancestors in any number of countries and he wouldn't know it.

18. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    By a genetic test my ancestors are historically from the British Isles, the main circle puts me at Scotch and Irish then the circles just keep expanding and adding percentages. Some is from the western part of the European continent but really nothing from farther away.

For family history my mother's family is from the Midwest of the USA going back several generations and I do not know who my birth father is.

19. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    England > Generations before that: Ireland
    > before that .... Scotland

20. Loves books

I’m pretty sure I’m Irish all the way. My family on both sides can be traced back to the1901 census which is the earliest full census available for my country. My uncle has my dads side traced back further and my aunt was doing my mothers side but no one had any other nationality than Irish. I’m sure if you go way back I could be part Norman since my very first day of secondary school my biology teacher told me I had a Norman surname. I looked on Wikipedia right now and while I knew my family name was one of the twelve tribes of Galway they were around since at least the mid 13th century and were Normanised Irish Geals. So really far back in my ancestry I’m probably still Irish. I’ve never met any other with my surname it’s not a common name.​