1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone write a journal?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RayneFall, Jul 28, 2020.

1. RayneFall

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ive read around that writing a journal helps with depression/anxiety and wanted to know if it helps?

What exactly do you write in it and do you think it helps you?

Because when i was seeing a therapist, he reccommended that i do this thing called an activity diary where i write down one thing i did every 2 hours and rate the mood i was in, achievement i felt, closeness with others (If there was), and the enjoyment i felt.

And i was thinking this is similar to writing in journals. I'm not sure if this actiivity diary is helping but it idoes give me something else to do each day I guess.

Just wanted to know your thoughts

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, I do. I've been doing it for over 12 years.

Up until recently I haven't written every day. Indeed during the good times - before my partner died this February - months would go by without any new entries. My life was too busy and, well, too wonderful, to spend much time on it. Since February I've written nearly every day, logging my feelings and thoughts and fears as this extraordinary, traumatic year has unfolded. It's definitely helped me, no question.

I'm a journalist by trade so there's always a vague notion that I might use this year's entries for...something, at some point. I'd have to have some distance and be in a better shape mentally before I can even start to think about that though..

Beth

#2 chicodeoro, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in therapy, my therapist also recommended it and at the time it did not make me feel better.

I've also tried an app -basically a word bank where you choose what you are feeling and what you did . Then it can give you the trends if something or certain times of day are linked with certain moods.

Now I blog when I'm in a mood. Its not a regular thing, but helps when I do :slight_smile:

4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I just started a journal yesterday. I mainly want to use it to keep track of my emotions, anxiety, depression, etc, and see if I can find any common elements, patterns, triggers. It may also serve as a creative output, a way of honing my writing skills, and hopefully relieve my anxiety and depression, but we'll see.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was seeing a therapist she suggested doing the journal thing but make sure I wrote down at least one good thing about the day no matter how small it was. And while it took a little bit, that did kind of help me keep a slightly more positive outlook.

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They can be useful for some people, but not everyone as we don't all experience depression and/or anxiety in the same way. It's certainly worth a try though.

The process of writing our innermost thoughts to paper acts as a kind of release and reordering process and some people with depression and anxiety experience a kind of catharsis in letting it all out. It can also be useful to read back and reflect on your notes to see if things have changed and how they have changed - a kind of progress monitoring.

7. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I keep a journal. I usually just write about what is bothering me. Sometimes it just helps to get it out and also sometimes it will help me realize common topics I journaled about that I can bring up with my therapist. As Patrick said it's good to see how things change too. I still have a journal from ten years ago that I kept while I was an inpatient at a psychiatric hospital. It's good to see I am doing much better now.

8. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    When do you all write in your journals? As soon as you have something to say? Whenever you're feeling stressed/ anxious. depressed, etc? Or is there a specific time? Like, I'm very into having a routine, so I've been writing at the end of the day, before bed.

9. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually write as soon as I can after something comes up. But having a routine is good too, like a daily check-in could be beneficial.

10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Usually late at night for me. Or during the day when I'm extremely stressed and need to get it all out.

11. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes but i was drawing instead of writting. I was drawin negative arts when I was feeling down and positive when i feelt good.
    It did help me more than anything else, maybe apart from playing games or watching series i liked.

If writting never was a big interest of you and f.ex. you play a instument, use that to cope with when you´re in a bad period.

#11 Fishtail, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  12. Loves books

I have a diary that turned in to a journal. I haven’t written in it in a while because nothing is happening due to COVID. It starts off how my day went and ends in numerous pages of writing down my thoughts. I wrote it in a lot during six weeks my mother was in hospital. A couple months later I mentioned I had done it and ended up reading it to her along with a small diary I kept 11 years ago. I was thinking of using it again but what’s the point of documenting monotony.

13. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a diary

14. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had a diary/journal (I am not sure what the difference is) off and on for most of my life. Unfortunately due to circumstances I only have my most recent volume in my possession. I don't have a specific time to write in it nor a specific format. I track my dreams and I write what I am feeling. I tend to write more often when my life is quite intense but not when my life has spun totally out of control. So the past 9 months I have been writing a lot more due to my divorce and other things. Sometimes I have gaps of days and I have even had gaps of months (either from monotony or from my life being so out of control that I don't write at all)

15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote journals during my year in India when I was younger. I filled four volumes. It's fun to thumb through them from time to time.

16. ellief

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been writing in a journal since 5th grade and it really does help. You don't need to write in it everyday, just every once in a while. If there's not many people you can talk to or trust with certain things, sometimes opening up to a journal is best. Then after a while, you can look back and see your development and progress with certain issues. I definitely recommend.

17. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a huge advocate of journaling, look at all my posts.
    I would offer you this...make it work for you. Several suggestions above are a good start. You can write daily or not. You can write lists or longhand. You can describe your day or not. You can use electronic or on paper. There are as many ways to journal as people who do it.
    Just imagine two months from now being able to refer back and see how far you’ve come!
    ((momhugs))

18. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to when I was much younger. A lot of the content in them wasn't exactly pleasant, but the feeling of writing things down helped me air out my issues. Plus, everything I'd written then, looking at it now, shows me how much progression I've made in life.

19. Hypernova

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been writing almost every day since may about almost everything that happens.
    Writing about my anxiety, depression and dysphoria has helped me get through it.

20. Nespit

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never went to therapy. I did try journaling for a short while a few years ago.but honestly, it wasn't for me. It actually caused me to constantly reopen old wounds every time I read it. I felt more therapeutic just ripping the thing up and letting the bad memories go.