1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a good memory?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, May 9, 2020.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and no. Sometimes I forget things literally right after I've heard or read them. Sometimes I have seemingly random but really clear memories from years ago, even if it's not something significant or interesting. I do tend to remember things that actually interest me and/or are useful to me better tho, and good things and happy things. Some of my best, clearest, and dearest memories are of time I've spent with my dogs and my friends. <3

2. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty average memory. Some strings of numbers and locations light up faster for me but otherwise, nothing spectacular.

I think I've been alive long enough that now I have a new problem. Occasionally there will be a word I remember using a lot 10-20 years ago and it takes quite some time to recall it now.

#22 Spatula, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  3. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really sure. There are points where I feel like I can't remember crap then other times I remember little obscure details of the most random thing. I feel like I have so much going on up there that it sometimes makes me feel like I remember less then I actually know. You have no idea how much I forget common everyday things, like stuff at work, taking my medication, laundry or trimming my beard (I actually have to set an alarm on my phone to do stuff or I will forget).

At the same time, I can remember the lyrics to a song but can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what it is.

I have an excellent visual memory, to the point where I find it easy to imagine myself on a particular beach from my memories whenever I want and often do when I want to escape somewhere. As long as I've seen a face at least twice, I can usually visualise it. My mind is often a running internal monologue that's interrupted by images. I'm not great at those tests where they remove an object and you have to say what's missing. However, I've had breaks from computer games before, then several years later I find that I still know what to expect when I turn a corner. I'm good at improvising solutions to hypothetical situations if I have a visual to draw from. Sometimes this surprises people because I end up giving a seemingly well thought out answer, and I get asked how long I've been thinking about it. However, I haven't actually been thinking about it all that long, I'm just picturing the solution in my head and interacting with what I see. Then I describe it as it's happening.

Unfortunately, I have trouble with remembering numerical information. I find phone numbers especially difficult. Weirdly, I've had tests done at school by an examiner and they showed that my ability to recall numbers from an audio recording is actually higher than the average in the short term. However, when it goes into the long term I just forget it completely or remember it in the wrong order.

I find it difficult to remember about things I don't care about. Which is why that when I want to learn something new, I like to link it somehow to a preexisting interest. Otherwise I put it off or make it last longer than it needs to, even though I want to get it over and done with.

When it comes to spelling, I prefer to write it out when someone asks how to spell a word. I know the spelling, but for some reason I can't think of the sounds involved. Yet I know the letters in the word, but I find it hard to summon them without having it in front of me. Sometimes I forget the word for something and have to draw out the object to locate the word.

I remember and notice small details, but sometimes miss big ones. Personally, I like to joke that I'll either notice something immediately or it'll take me three months, that there's isn't much middle ground between the two.

Same.

I'll also remember how a drink smelt on a summer's day several years ago, but I often can't recall voices except for cartoons (I know them when I hear them though). Yet I remember various animal calls and what their vocalisations sound like and mean. I remember about a crack in the ceiling and how it split at the ends, but tend to have no idea what accent someone was talking to me in when stood in that room. Yet I remember about their chewed nails, how they moved their hands and the dirt on one corner of their glasses for example. I remember what the seats felt like, and where there was a rip in the seat and tarnishing. Sometimes this can take people by surprise, I'll remark about how the seats have changed since I last visited and that the texture of the wall feels different. Usually the response is "Wait, wasn't that months ago? How do you remember what the seats felt like?" to which my response tends to be "Don't you?" Apparently this is a bit unusual. I do tend to visit random places in my memories though when I'm bored to just walk around in.

5. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  6. Loves books

I can remember things that happened in my life from age two onward. I have one vague memory when I was two of my crèche, lots of stronger memories of when I was 3-4 in preschool and I have loads from 4 onwards. My sister was always amazed that I remembered so much random stuff. I can also remember the plot lines of hundreds of books, I remember books from over 20 years ago. However my memory didn’t help me in school. It seems to remember something, I have to be at least a little interested in it.

7. dil

dil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Always had a bad memory for.names, dates (birthdays, anniversaries)

If I read a phone number that I'm going to call, I've got to go back and read the area code, then dial those 3 numbers, then read the next 3, then dial those, then read the last four and dial those. The weird thing is that I got straight As in any mathematic courses I ever took without really studying.

A few months ago, I saw a picture of a dog that reminded me of a dog that a childhood friend had. I emailed it to him and asked if it looked like Atlas. He couldn't believe that I remembered his name. After all, it had been 57 years since I had seen his dog.

I've been very lucky. Three times I came within a 1/4 of a second of dying in a vehicle. I remembered every detail of each episode. Like it was just a minute after they happened.

8. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My memory and cognitive function were very poor during adolescence due to mental health problems, and specifically the medications that I was put on to treat those problems. I have spent most of my life since then regaining function and then maintaining what I have gained back. Now, my memory and ability to think is pretty good. I have a routine where I work on areas of thought where I still have problems. It's pretty safe to say that the problems I had changed almost every aspect of my daily life in a fundamental way.

9. Halolala

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It really depends on many factors. I have good visual memory and really good orientation skills so I don't get lost, for example, and I remember melodies and lyrics easily. At the same time, i suck at remembering dates and I can't recall what was for dinner yesterday. I also have to note everything, otherwise I'm gonna forget that I had something to do.

10. Sophia04

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a really good memory but it can be a pain and a blessing in many ways.
    One example is that I was able to get good grades kindergarten through 8th grade without ever studying for a test but now that I'm in high school I have to study twice as hard as those around me in math because I don't understand the way the teacher teaches it and my memory makes it hard for my parents to re-teach the material to me in a way I will actually understand (I see math differently. I've been told it has to do with my ADHD but all I know is the way I look at math makes word problems and other abstract looking stuff a pain)

I know my brother has a great memory too as he can tell you any Simpson's episode's title, episode number, and season number based on even the smallest piece of the episode.