1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i get breast reduction?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by deadseal, Aug 18, 2020.

1. deadseal

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Howdy! I'm trans and i have relatively large breasts that cause back and breathing problems. i found out from my best friend that you can get breast reduction as a minor if it causes issues! (we have the same insurance lol.) My question is, should i take the chance and talk to my doctor about it, or should i just buy a binder? I dont have a guarantee for either of them, but im really attracted to the first option. My chest dysphoria fluctuates alot, so having a much more manageable chest would def help in both departments. What should i do?
    -Stagwood

whatisaman likes this.
  2. Really

If you have a medical issue, which is sounds like you do, I think it’s totally legitimate to look into it. My only thought would be whether, being trans, you will be choosing to go completely flat now or whether you’d have to revisit that as an additional surgery at a later date. Personally, I’d rather have as few surgeries as possible but everyone is different. You may not have this choice as a minor but I don’t know. Do your parents know and support you being trans?

deadseal likes this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you have a hormonal problem. Do you take birth control? If you're young, your chest can still shrink a lot without harm to it. If you fix the problem, obviously.

Effects of top surgery are worse if you get reduction first, it's not advisable.

4. deadseal

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well yes but actually no. Like, they know i am not exactly the most cishet of all their children, but whenever i bring it up things get tense real fast. My older siblings think its stupid how they get defensive, but i think its because i'm their "last chance".
    They wanted all girls, but after having three girls they got three boys as well. Then my brother came out as trans. Okay, two daughters aint so bad! ..Then my sister came out as ace/aro. And then after that i guess they kinda leaned unto me as their last resort to having a daughter who'd get married and have kids etc etc,,
    but thats just a theory.

5. deadseal

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do not take birth control. I also do not want top in the future [if i get reduction]. i feel that a smaller chest would aid me look more epicene vs top surgery.
    i also genuinely do not care about scarring- i almost had to amputate my arm so a big ol' scar on my chest doesnt really phase me much. i actually think scars are pretty cool, cell division an all that. thats one of the reasons my middle name is mitosis haha

Mihael likes this.
  6. Albine

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like a reduction would be a viable option especially if they are bothering you physically. You didnt mention your size (not that you have to) but you could try to go for a reduction to be quite smaller which could you.

7. Phantom06

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    do what you think is best for you