1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you an individualist or are you a family oriented person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Aug 17, 2020.

?

Are you an individualist or a family oriented person?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2020.
  1. Individualist

83.3%
  2. Family Oriented

16.7%
  1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just an interesting question. Would you consider yourself to be an individualist and all about yourself and your own life or are family the most important thing to you?

There's no good or bad answer IMO.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Family oriented. Whether it's my own choice or not though, I have no idea. There was zero individuality in my family growing up. It was always what hobbies are "we" doing, who are "we" voting for, where should "we" go. Everyone was on the same page at all times with very little variation, and I was expected to submit to the family's wishes no matter what. It made me hit the total other extreme of impulsiveness and thrill seeking whenever I was away from the rest of the family though, to escape the monotony of it all.

My natural instinct is always to submit to whatever the other family member wants and bend myself into a pretzel to make it happen, with fierce loyalty to keep them happy and safe.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Individualist by necessity. I tolerate many of my family members, but feel no closeness to them because their mind set and worldview is the polar opposite to my own on so many levels. I can bridge a small divide, but not a chasm.

4. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish there was a middle ground option. I'm a bit of both.

There's a lot of negative history in my family so I've grown up with a sense of 'every man for himself' so-to-speak. However, at the same time I also tend to focus on taking care of my family by being emotionally and financially supportive.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say family oriented but not necessarily biological family. Since the death of my parents my bio family is there for each other but we're not that kind of close any more. On the other hand I really do think of my husband and I as a little family and when you add in our closest friends a bigger family and that is very important to me and I'm fiercely loyal to that family unit.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely an individualist. My life doesn't revolve around family - why should I have to spend so much time around people (some of whom I don't particularly like) just because we share some DNA?

I have some family I get on with (pretty much all on my dad's side) and like to see them every now and then. On the other hand, there are some who I wouldn't be sad never to see again (most of my mum's side). I do make an effort to see my remaining grandparents.

On and off relationship with parents. I personally doubt that we'll be that close when I'm older and financially independent.

May sound selfish but the person most important to me at the moment is definitely myself. I want to keep myself happy. YOLO.

#6 Joe2001, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  7. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was brought up as an individualist. While I am still focused on my own goals, I do have a family of choice and I make that family a priority. There is a balance between personal autonomy, community, and family.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Individualist. For as long as I can remember. I don't think my family wanted me to be that way (to the extent that I was and am) and that I became so independent. I think they were a little threatened by it.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm envious of the families that have huge Christmas (and other holiday) get togethers and everybody has a great time.

Between age differences (most of my cousins are at least 10 years older than), political/religious differences and that almost all of my family living far away - I don't have an emotional attachment with most them.

10. Loves books

I’m not really sure what I am. I live with my parents out of need and not because I want to spend time with them. My brother lives in a different county and I see him maybe 3 times a year, my sister lives in a different country and we see her more often than my brother but to be honest after one day I usually wish she’d leave. When we were growing up we always ate dinner together as a family and they both come home for Christmas every year. I don’t see much of my dads family they live a couple of hours away and my cousins on his side are 10+ years older than me. I see my mum’s side more often, they are closer to us in every way and I’m the oldest on that side, my siblings and cousins are younger than me. Between us there’s 4 godparents to 3 kids. I’m one of each.

11. Nespit

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Individualist because there's just too much of an existing clash between my world views and my family's views

12. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not an individualist. I need people. That said, my family is toxic and I am glad to not have them in my life. I work at having people in my life who are not hate-filled intolerant right-wing religious bigots.

13. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As life has progressed I've found myself to be more of a family-oriented person. At least that's what I want now.

14. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Individualist. It's every person for themselves in this world.

#14 BlueMonday, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020