1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-sexual, gay-affirmative things I can do in a large city

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lyman, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Lyman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    During this holiday, I will be by myself a few days in Berlin, after parting ways with a friend and before meeting others.

And, given that nobody knows me there, I'm considering using part of that time to do something that makes me feel that the fact that I'm gay is more “normal”. But, just to be clear, losing my virginity is off the table — I'm thinking with my upper head.

Any advice on this? I know how to google information, but I don't know exactly what to look for. Large cities are like a parallel reality to me, esp when it comes to how being gay there works. :/

Some ideas:
    • The Schwules Museum seems a nice place to go.
    • Maybe choosing a ho(s)tel in the gaybourhood of the city? I think it's called Schöneberg/Kreuzberg. I don't expect to interact a lot with other guests, but simply seeing same-sex couples in the streets would be wonderful. I don't get to witness lots of that here.
    • There are some so-called “gay hotels”... But I don't expect much of them, and even less during corona. Plus, they sound too much like pink capitalism.
    • I've always wanted to go to a gay bookshop, as they were super important historically. Surprisingly, some still exist. I'm aware of one called Eisenherz.
    • Given that I'm not looking for sex, I don't think I should consider nightlife as part of my plans, not even if it was a sensible idea in the times of corona.
    • Gay bars and cafés could be an option (e.g., for breakfast), although I'm not sure what they can offer to me.
    • I have never attended any sort of event related to counselling or advice because I don't have anything like that where I live.
    • I love exercising and I plan to go running every day.
    I’d love to receive some feedback from anyone that knows about the gay scene in large cities, even if it's not Berlin. I’m looking for a positive gay-affirmative experience, avoiding activities that are too intimidating or counter-productive. If I don't manage to find a good plan, I'll simply do regular tourism, which is pretty okay.

#1 Lyman, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
  2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to live in Berlin and Berlin is definitely the gay capital of Europe.

Motzstraße the gayest street of Berlin (it’s in Schöneberg) by Nollendorfplatz.

there you will find everything you mentioned, gay coffee shops, gay bookstores, gay hotels, gay stores, gay folks everywhere holding hands.

and it’s really well located too, so I would totally stay on that street if I could.

#2 Lin1, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
    Lyman and Ram90 like this.
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I lived in the UK and visited a number of the cities in Germany (including Berlin) often for work, I would usually try to find a regular hotel close to or in the the local gaybourhood. I avoided most of the gay specific hotels and hostels and focused on staying at broader gay-friendly hotels or gay owned B&Bs (the B&Bs tend to be quieter). I found the evenings at gay specific hotels and hostels would often complement the overall night life scene of the neighborhoods and I prefer to have a place to escape to rather than sleep in the middle of all the activity. If I was traveling alone, I would walk around the neighborhood and get a feel for the retail, restaurants, bars, book stores, speciality shops and coffee shops available. After visiting many of the places I would then find one establishment that fit my personality where I was comfortable engaging with patrons or staff. And that place would then become my go to spot to hang out if I had down time. In Berlin, the Axel hotel seemed to be a popular gay hotel and had a corresponding night life element to it; but there are many many hotels to choose from. Given I was often in Berlin for work, I mostly stayed at a major chain hotel on the other side of town and when I visited to play tourist rather than for work I just stuck with the same place since I was used to it. There is so much history in Berlin, it doesn't really matter where you stay you will find yourself close to something interesting and a taxi or uber to the gaybourhood is simple to do.

Lyman likes this.