1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ Experiences

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by antoniorr, Aug 7, 2020.

1. antoniorr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't have people close to me from the LGBTQ community so I don't know who to ask these questions and speak openly about these topics. I would like to ask that person what their experience was like coming out of the closet and how others reacted to make me feel more secure with my decision. I think I am losing an important part of my life. I wouldn't want to come out of the closet when I become a middle aged man.

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to Empty Closets antoniorr,
    I wasn’t in a closet, I just thought I was straight, but I did “come out” as a bisexual middle aged man to myself with a therapist’s help, and then right away to my wife, and then other family.

It was important to me to be authentic, honest, and each time I have told people it has gone well (not with my wife, at least not for a while at first). The people who loved me still loved me. A couple of my co-workers were inspired to come out to me when I came out to them, and I think everyone at work had a better relationship with me because they could tell I was honest and trusting.

I came out to the people I didn’t want to hear it from anyone but me. My wife, my (grown) children, my Mom, my work supervisor. Then I gave my wife the authority to tell our mutual friends and guide some of the rest of my coming out process (she was afraid of me coming out), until she felt confident enough (and not so scared) to say it really should be me doing the communications.

I hope you are brave and have great success!

3. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I know there are a lot of posts here about people's stories and experiences coming out, especially here.

In my case, I felt pretty much the same way you seem to be feeling. I was tired and frustrated with being in the closet, so I finally told my mom, pretty much crying the whole time, and she was very accepting. Then we told my stepdad, who didn't really make a big deal of it, and later my brother. I told my sister in an email, since she was too far to see in person.

But that's when I came out as gay. When I came out as trans last year, I sat down with my mom and sister and explained how I was feeling and what my plans for transitioning were. Basically, everyone in my family has been accepting, even my dad, who really surprised me there.

Good luck coming out yourself!

LostInDaydreams likes this.