1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a minimalist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you like the simpler things in life? Do you live a minimalist lifestyle. I’ve gotten rid of so much stuff amid this pandemic and have come to the point that if I don’t have something essential, I don’t want it.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both my parents are packrats, and so is my dad's side.

I feel better (anxiety wise) in clean, minimalist environments. Nobody cohabitating with me would ever complain I'm messy. I like to think I'm minimal, but honestly my perception of clean is probably screwed up based on my family lol

#2 HM03, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say that I am a minimalist; though I have downsized my apartment about four years ago - I went from a one bedroom apartment to a studio which I don't regret as it helps me to replace things if need be, rather than buy something new and keep what I am essentially replacing. Through the move, I gave away things and recycled a whole bunch of stuff and it left me feeling lighter.

I will say, I don't think I could ever become a true minimalist as it would of course entail downsizing my book collection or replace books I have read with the ones I haven't or stop acquiring books altogether. I don't foresee this ever happening.

4. Loves books

I get sentimentally attached to books. Sometimes to other objects but mostly books. I have a kindle but before I got that I created a collection of over 250 books. They are mostly teen and YA fiction and I’m an adult now but I still like the stories. I have four 8 foot long shelves attached to my wall. Three of them hold books. The last one holds DVDs and CDs. I have stuff everywhere. The whole minimalist thing wouldn’t really work for me.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that I would describe myself as a minimalist but I think I lot of other people would. My husband and I are pretty definite about what makes us happy. We have a few very nice things, but for the most part things aren't particularly important to us and as I get older it's become more and more apparent that having more just gets in the way of really enjoying the important things.

6. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been one for decor. I don't care to have paintings or pictures on walls. Or picture frames on my desks/tables. I dislike clutter. So anything I can't really use, I don't own.

The only time I owned a few things that were just to make my place more homey was during the final year of university and I had the odd few bits and pieces on my desk but that was it. Everything I own must have a use.

7. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the most part, yes. Not quite ascetic, but my life is more minimal than many I know.

(Anyone who sees my book collection might think otherwise).

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not a minimalist, but I do find it much easier to work in tidy environment with minimal stuff. So, with working from home, I’ve been keeping my home environment tidy and everything packed away regularly, which is no easy task with a six year old about.

9. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really, just trying to be. I often sell my old stuff that didn't get used for a year. It's hard to find a buyer when the economy isn't doing very well. Selling all the stuff on sale doesn't mean I'd become a true minimalist though. I can't give up on my small collection of figurines just yet.

#9 Nightlight, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020