1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Relationships: Real? Worth it? Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JustNoOne2, Jul 29, 2020.

1. JustNoOne2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all!

I recently met a guy online that I’ve become quite close with. We’ve been talking for just under a month, and we’ve gotten to know each other quite well. A few weeks ago, he admitted to having feelings for me, and I too had been starting to feel as though I was catching feelings for him. However, I had always told myself I would never be in an online relationship. I’ve always thought and been told that they never work, they just hurt you in the end, and it’s impossible to truly be in a relationship with someone without the physical presence. You can’t know everything about a person online, so you don’t know whether or not you’d like them. They could very well be a sexual predator. These were all things that I thought to be facts and things that have prevented me from even considering an online relationship in the past.

However...

I really do feel like I genuinely like this guy, and we’ve been talking for a while now. I’ve been being extremely cautious, not giving away any important personal information, trying not to rush things, taking things at what I hope is an acceptable pace. I’ve also told him that I’m unsure if I’ll ever be okay with an online relationship, and we are both very aware of the situation and where we stand on things, at least as of right now. That being said, after talking with him for a while, snapchatting, video chatting, etc. I’m pretty sure he’s not some 80 year old man seeking his next predatory victim. I’ve done my research on avoiding catfishes, and I haven’t found any warning flags... yet. I say yet because I know you can never be too careful about this stuff.

I’ve been toiling over this for a while now. I really feel like I like him. My heart skips a beat when he texts me, I get all happy feeling inside when we talk, and every time he sends me a snap I can’t wait to see his face again. If we knew each other in real life, I wouldn’t doubt that I’d have feelings for him, and want to pursue something more than friendship eventually. However, this is not “in real life”, this is online. We are both 18/19 years old, college students, but we live on near opposite sides of the US. (He lives around LA and I live around Chicago.)

So my question for you is this...

Do online relationships really live up to this toxic image I have of them in my mind? Are they truly as dangerous as my parents have made them seem? Do they really all fail like I’ve been told? And lastly, are they true relationships, or is it genuinely impossible to be truly in love over a phone screen? I’m basically just looking for some advice and some help on figuring out my feelings, because this is something I have no experience in and something that I never thought I’d ever have to deal with. Thanks in advance for all of your help, and if anyone would be willing to offer more insight via DMs, please feel free to do so! Thanks!

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They definitely have the potential to be dangerous. You seem mindful of the risks and potential consequences of sharing too much personal information, so I don’t think I can tell you anything that you don’t already know. Just continue to be cautious and don’t give in to any pressure to do otherwise.

Until you meet somebody and spend a significant amount of time with them in person, I don’t think you can really know them or know beyond all doubt whether you’re compatible together. I think about it this way...When you first move in with somebody, you often discover things about them that you didn’t already know, even when you’ve spent a lot of time together previously. I think the same would apply to online relationships. By not seeing each other in person, there are things you miss and don’t know about each other. I do think it’s possible to develop feelings, but until you meet them, you can’t completely know how far their online persona matches the real life person.

I appreciate that it’s easy for me to say, but when feelings are involved, it’s not an easy decision to make. What’s your gut feeling? Do you think you could continue chatting as friends?

JustNoOne2 and Vega222 like this.
  3. JustNoOne2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely am mindful of the risks. My parents would constantly warn me of the dangers of the internet, so much so that it made me hardly ever even want to talk to anyone on the internet. I’ve also done my own research and so I feel pretty stable on internet safety. I like your point about giving into pressure, because I do sometimes feel as though there is pressure for me to say yes. This mostly stems from not wanting to hurt him by saying no, but also because I would worry that I led him on this whole time if I said no...

I definitely understand this point, as there was a guy I met on a dating app that I got rather close to, but when we ended up meeting irl, there was a lot that I realized I didn’t like about him. That’s my biggest issue with this current situation as well. I’ve made sure to maintain open communication with him, because in the event that this does work out, relationships are built on trust and telling the truth and open communication. So he knows why I’m apprehensive of any sort of online relationship, and he’s talked about possibly meeting irl a good amount of times. He definitely seems interested in meeting. My only issue with meeting in person is that we live so far away from one another, and both are busy college students, so it would be costly and quite a significantly big deal to meet up as opposed to if we lived only a few cities away. I wouldn’t want one of us to spend a whole bunch of money to meet up, only to have to tell him that I don’t really like him as much irl.

All that being said, my thoughts have always been the same about online relationships, which are pretty much exactly what you said. You cannot truly know someone online, so you can’t know if they’re right for you or not until you meet up. He seems to be very mindful of my concerns and very accepting of whatever my decision will be, but he does often ask just to be given a chance- to try things out because he feels bad that there’s literally nothing he can do about this situation, it’s all up to me at this point, and he talks about how if we try and fail, then we can still be friends, but if we don’t try, we’d go right to just being friends and never know what might have been able to happen.

It’s all just really confusing to me because the more he talks about how online relationships can work out, the more I want to say yes, but I also know all of the negative sides to them, and know that it’s really hard for them to be true relationships, as you can hardly do anything over the internet that you could irl. I guess I’m just really stressing because I realize I have to say no, or at least that we have to be just friends until we can meet irl, but part of me also feels really bad about having to say no, and then yet another part really does want to say yes. I’m sorry for the long rant, but it helps me to write down my feelings and such, and I know that I probably should say no, it just helps to hear others say it I guess.

4. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, as someone who has been in a long-distance relationship (US to UK) they most certainly can work. But they take a lot of patience, trust, time, and effort. It's not like a physical relationship where you can be near someone and readily cuddle them each week. You have a lot of distance between the both you and this is where communication is very important. You will eventually miss the lack of physical contact between one another, and while it can be very difficult to overcome, it's not impossible providing you're dedicated to one another.

I met someone online and just after 3-4 months of meeting them, we began a long-distance relationship. However, the relationship lasted just 1 year before we agreed to split. This was because we were young (17 & 18), had no money. Neither of us could travel. And neither of us felt mature enough. That said, we communicated every single day. We'd message one another on Steam, and found activities that could be done together, specifically, online gaming. Although we couldn't physically be with one another, we could still play games and 'be' together that way. It didn't entirely fill the 'no physical contact' gap, but it did help ease it.

Second, I have a friend who met their husband online. They were in a long distance relationship for seven years before finally being able to physically be with one another. They eventually married and now have their own home and everything. This is a prime example of an online relationship working out because two people were willing to serious effort into commitment with one another.

Third, a school friend met their boyfriend online. They both lived some distance apart and eventually became engaged and moved in together.

Finally, my own brother recently met someone online. He lives in northern England and she's from London. There's quite a fair bit of distance between them, and the relationship is fairly new, but with commitment and communication, it definitely can work.

So, to answer your questions...

No. Not all online relationships are toxic. If you're smart and are internet savvy, it definitely helps, but so does spending time getting to no the other person. Yes they can be as dangerous as your parents make them out to be. However, it depends on who you meet and again, how internet savvy you are. The term 'relationship' has different meaning for everyone. To me, a relationship is committing ones self to another and vice versa whether it be through physical engagement, or lack there of.

I genuinely believe a person can feel attraction to another over font and text. I have done it. I have seen others do it. That said, I have seen others do it and fail. It all depends on the two people committing to the long-distance relationship and how far they're willing to go for the relationship to work out.

In my personal opinion, given that you've only known this guy a month, I would suggest just getting to know him more as a friend first. For all you know, when you go back to college, he could meet someone who can provide the very thing you can't - physical contact. It takes time to truly get to know a person. I speak from experience when I say you can't get to know a person entirely in a single month. There's always going to be something about that person you don't yet know no matter how long you've talked each day. Once the 'honeymoon' phase of talking to one another fades, a person's true colours shine and this is the side of their personality you should really be getting to know.

Overall, it's up to you how you proceed. While I've provided some examples of long-distance relationships, anecdotal evidence isn't always going to reflect what may be the same for you. Anything can happen in a long-distance relationship, just as it can with one more physical.

JustNoOne2 likes this.
  5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this would still be true in three years time or whenever you both finish college. There’s no rush, and as you’re both busy with limited capacity to travel, I can’t see that there will be much difference regardless of whether you decide to call it a relationship or not.

Do what you feel most comfortable with, and if that is to stay friends, then hopefully he will understand.

JustNoOne2 likes this.
  6. JustNoOne2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for all your insights and positive examples! I definitely am going to work on getting to know him better, and I’m not going to just start dating him after less than a month of knowing each other, so I think that will be plenty of time to figure things out. I guess I’m really stressing over nothing since it’s not like there’s a due date on when I have to be ready to commit (or not commit). I think I’ll wait on any decisions until I’ve known him a few months, but even then I do feel as though I’ll have to say no, as I don’t foresee myself being financially able to make long distance trips often...

That also said, I’ve told him I want to wait a bit longer, and he completely respects that, but kind of had a counter argument at the time that went something like this:
    You can learn a lot about a person in less than a month, and you can also learn a lot about a person in more than a month. Same is true for learning only a little bit. It depends on quality of time spent than quantity, so even if there’s one couple that’s only known each other for a month but talks a lot every day, and another who’s known each other for five months but hasn’t talked as much, the one month couple may know more about each other than the five month one. I didn’t really know how to respond to this, as I felt he did make a good point, but I did say I just felt more comfortable waiting, and so I think that’s where I stand for right now. It’s still super confusing though because it feels like nowadays everyone is always in such a rush to start dating, that it seems like nobody wants to wait anymore, which kind of worries me. Though he has said he is willing to and understands the need to wait, he definitely does seem to be a bit anxious about wanting to start things sooner rather than later, so I do feel a bit of pressure to not keep him waiting forever for an answer...

7. JustNoOne2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again for your help! I think that’s definitely the best option here, so I think I may just tell him that until we both feel we are ready, I can’t really foresee any relationship happening at this moment, but I do want to stay friends and learn more about each other and perhaps one day a relationship could happen? I feel like that wording sounds more like a rejection though, so I don’t know how to word it without making it sound like I’m flat out rejecting him completely...

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s impossible to predict how he might react and he might need some space for a while. Just be honest and clear. Mention all the positive things, such as that you enjoy talking to him and want to get to know him better.

Personally, I wouldn’t mention being open to the possibility of a relationship “one day” as I wouldn’t want to risk giving false hope. Alternatively, I would be more specific about when one day might be (e.g. after we’ve both left college) or else you might find yourself having the same conversation in a few months time. But, it’s your call, of course.

I hope he’s understanding and it goes as well as possible.

JustNoOne2 likes this.