1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any feedback for my coming out letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostDog98, Jul 14, 2020.

1. GhostDog98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Intend to send this to my mother, anything I should add or remove?
    --------------------------------------
    Hey [PERSON], just wanted to get something that’s been on my mind for a bit off my chest:

I’m bisexual. Basically meaning that I like both genders, but not equally (like someone who is ‘bi’ might be attracted to both men and women, but would be ‘more’ attracted to men than women or vice versa).

And this isn’t a “phase” either, but at the same time it’s unreasonable to expect my preferences to stay the same over time, sexuality is fluid and can change over time, and that’s very widely accepted these days.

Another thing I would like to address is why I’m actually telling you this. There are really 2 reasons, the first of which is because I just want to get it off my mind, the second of which is a little bit more complicated: For me, especially more recently I’ve had a curiosity in exploring how I dress, especially the more feminine aspects of it, and I think that it is important that I’m allowed to explore this in my own time (however it may well be a while until I’m comfortable dressing differently in front of others) and I also think that it is important to tell you this simply so that you are aware of my point of view, I don’t want to “become” a female, far from it, but I want to be able to explore my identity without you being worried. Another thing about this that I would like to bring up is that for me, dressing up like I want to is not in any way motivated sexually, it’s not at all motivated by that, despite the current stereotypes about it in popular culture.

And finally, I want to cover the sharing of the news, I would prefer that Noone else knows without you asking me beforehand simply due to how personal this is to me. I get that slip ups will happen, and that is fine and natural, but I would just prefer if you tried to not tell anyone else as it would make things awkward and frankly put: If I want someone to know, I will make sure they know myself.

I honestly really hope that you can put some effort into accepting me as I am because it would mean a lot to me. Love you [PERSON] - [MY NAME]

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How do you think she will react? Does she tend to be more open minded with this kind of thing? Or do you think she'll have some difficulties with this?

Especially depending on how conservative she is, I may tweak the wording of this. If I told somebody like my dad this for example, he would probably immediately get his hopes up that I'd become straight eventually. I get that's why you said it wasn't a phase, but still. If she isn't 100% okay with it, she may use that wording against you despite saying it wasn't a phase. What specifically do you mean by that statement? That certain periods of time, outside of your control, you may be more attracted to guys and certain periods of time be more attracted to girls? If so, then maybe say something like that.

Even something like deleting the fluidity part and tacking on "these ratios of attraction can continually be changing" onto this paragraph here.

OR just say you're bi and leave the fluidity out of the letter, and let it in a verbal discussion in the future when she asks or you want to talk about it.

Good luck!

#2 HM03, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Bisurprise likes this.
  3. Bisurprise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with HM03, I feel like the first paragraph is a bit stuffy. I'm reading it as a person who may be shocked at this news, so keeping at least the intro to-the-point will help with the natural flow of the explanation.
    Basically instead of the parentheses explaining the "not equally" part, if you want you can state your preference or what way you "lean". Again, if I'm a person in shock, getting the straight facts first (lol no pun intended, I'm horrible XD) would probably wean me into the explanation.
    Good luck, and keep us updated for support!