1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I mention being queer in my college essay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Katja24601, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Katja24601

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a rising high school senior and as such, I'm in the process of writing my admissions essays. For those who don't know, this basically involves writing a short personal narrative that conveys something about yourself that make you appealing to colleges. In one of the essays I'm currently working on, the fact that I'm queer briefly comes up. It is an important part of the narrative.

I am applying mainly to schools in the midwestern United States. I've checked them all extensively for LGBTQ acceptance, and they all meet my standards. I am confident that homophobia will not impact my admission decisions.

However, I'm not out to my parents. I've already told them that I don't want their help with editing/writing my essays because they're too personal (regardless of whether or not I mention the LGBTQ thing). I may have to come out to one or two teachers to get help with my essay, but I'm comfortable doing that.

Can I mention it in my essay without outing myself to my parents? Is it even a good idea to include it?

2. Really

Will your parents necessarily read your essay? I never had to do this so I’m not sure of the “protocol”. Do they usually read your schoolwork?

i think it’s fine to include it as far as the university is concerned.

3. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems like a good idea to mention it, but if you can't come out to your parents you should check if they will see it.

4. Mk Smith

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I seriously doubt that including the fact that your queer would have any effect on the outcome on your acceptance from the school. If anything it would help your chances since it would show the school some of the things you have had to overcome in your life. I just graduated and I know for a fact that your parents will not see your essay unless you show it to them. If you get really nervous or they get suspicious then I would make another copy of the essay without the mention of your sexuality to show to them. Colleges are looking for bright young people who have had to work hard and overcome adversity in their life. Don't let fear of your parents stop you from writing the essay that you want to write.

Hope I helped. Have a great day!

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Katja24601.....As a high school teacher for 40+ years I have helped many students with college essays. The thing to consider about bringing up your sexuality is...Is it pertinent to what you are trying to communicate to the university/college.You have to decide if it is something that will help you to be selected to attend a particular school.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Shorthaul likes this.