1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial electrolysis questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bri2020, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So my initial psychology visit for dysphoria was just a bunch of history taking and I can’t get in to see home for 9 weeks and he won’t start referrals for her until he sees me more so I need to do something to help me move forward. For those of u that have done full facial hair electrolysis: how many hours of treatment did it take? Was your face a mess for awhile afterwards( I would need to go to work after treatments). Any tips you have to share? Thank you

2. Really

I think your best bet would be to research electrolysis services in your area. See what their websites say about “down time”, if there is any and read reviews of each place/technician.

I don’t have experience with electrolysis but have had laser hair removal treatments. I don’t know if that’s an option for you but there is zero down time after one of those treatments. You just need to stay out of the sun for a day. Or more, can’t remember. :} Plus, you need to shave beforehand which may be preferable to having to let the hairs grow which you have to do for electrolysis.

The average number of treatments is 6 but could be more depending on how well the treatments sync with the hair growth phase the follicle is in. Your hairs are not all in the same phase at the same time so it’s a bit of a rolling target but they’ll all be caught at some point. You might want to consider this and then do electrolysis just for the stragglers at the end.

This is all assuming you’re a good candidate for laser hair removal. ;]
    Good luck!

3. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks but I Can’t do laser. Red head and pale skin. Supposedly terrible combo for lasers

4. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm using electrolysis, though I haven't been on a regular schedule (I have been getting more serious about it lately.) My electrologist has done most of a cheek in a three hour session, and she cleared my mustache and below my lip in the last three hour session (Removing some of those mustache hairs HURT.)

I think that she said that it would take about three passes, twenty hours each, to clear my face, though I haven't kept closely enough to a schedule and will probably need more hours of follow up.

She did her face years ago, but she has said that she still finds the occasional hair that decided to start growing again. She isn't afraid to crank up the current, so I'm sure that this is something that just happens.

Bri2020 likes this.
  5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Electrolysis takes many, many hours depending on the thickness and density of the hair. I found it to be one of the most expensive and painful parts of the process. It's not so bad at first, but as transition progresses the skin on the face gets more sensitive, especially around the nose. I was recommended a numbing agent to spread on my face formulated by a compounding pharmacist, which would be put on a set time before the appointment. I also took some anti-inflammatory pain medicine to limit the swelling afterward. It's a little strange heading to an appointment with the stuff smeared on covered in cling wrap. If you have to drive yourself to appointments, it might be a little tricky. After a session, my face would be swollen and sore, but I could go about my day as normal.

6. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, 60 hours or more at $80/hr here! I knew it would be thousands but $5k or more is challenging. Good thing I have a job. lol. With Covid going on the clinics doing this are limiting it to 45 minutes per session and want me to come in 3 times a week. I can probably only make time for once a week so this is gonna take over a year which I guess is better from a cash flow basis but I have to say I'm very impatient right now to start feeling more femme externally.

smee likes this.
  7. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    $80 is nice! Electrolysis runs around $100-120/hour around here!

Aside from the cost, I've found that electrolysis can be a great way to experiment with transition. An hour can be enough time to clear an area until the dormant hairs grow again, and things will probably look normal after they do. It's not uncommon for someone's beard to be a little spotty anyway. Only some hairs are actively growing at any one time.

On the other hand, the hair follicles that are treated are out of service or partially so if you decide to go forward.

You really should ask your electrologist for an estimate for any work, as the time required is probably a YMMV sort of thing. I'm older, so my beard may have had more time to develop.

#7 smee, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  8. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've been paying $80/hour myself. It... hurts. Especially right under the nose. I've been going twice a month, an hour at a time, since about September, but I've been less regular lately because of various things getting in the way.
    After I think about 17 hours so far, my upper lip still has a little noticeable hair, but it's far less noticeable than it used to be.

Also keep in mind that you will have to grow your hair out before the appointment. In my case, my face is kind of a mess afterwards. So I drive home, shower, shave what he didn't touch, and stay home the rest of the day.