1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsafe binding and back pain

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lee Sihoo, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Lee Sihoo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *I decided to re-post my question here since "Gender Identity and Expression" section is more trans-oriented. I hope this is not against the rules of this site

Greetings all! I have a problem. Due to some circumstances, I often practice unsafe binding (particularly, I wear my binder for more than 12 hours a day); and as a result, I suffer from severe back pain and chronic rib pain that often worsens with coughing. I'm well aware that I shouldn't wear it for more than 8 hours, but I have a job and since passing is very important to me, I can't help but bind my chest (I mean, usually, I pass as a cis man pretty convincingly, although I'm not closeted at all)

Back pain is unbearableā€¦ I can't go to a doctor though. The last time I consulted a doctor; he accused me of being transgender and dismissed my medical problem, saying that I "should have made an appointment with a psychiatrist, not an orthopedist"

I wonder if you have any advice about how to relieve the back pain? I would appreciate any advice ^ ^

*Sorry again for bad English. I don't use a translator, so my grammar and sentence construction are far from ideal

~Sihoo

2. Jedi

First, maybe you could consider getting a slightly looser binder, so that it doesn't put as much pressure on your ribs and back. As for the back pain, maybe try going to a physiotherapist, or if you can't do that, regular back stretches, and herbal rub or deep heat.

3. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Obviously IF something is causing pain the only real remedy is to correct that but I understand your dilemma. Try yoga at the end of the day, it will help "reopen" your spine and chest. It will be easy to skip after a long day but 30 minutes should be enough. There are lots of online tutorials.

4. sleepyboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im not sure what binder you are using but I started with underworks and it ripped the shit out of my skin and armpits and it had no room to breathe/move at all. I switched the gc2b and though the underworks one felt tighter the gc2b one flattened me out more and i felt like i could breathe. I know the feeling of going to the doc with med probs and they just tell you to stop wearing the binder as if thats an option. take care cos I've had top surgery 3 years ago now and I'm still suffering from back issues cos of binding.