1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you remember your first?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bri2020, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did it! No not what your thinking. I went shopping in full femme mode! My first time leaving a private setting. It wasn’t as bad as my fears had me believe. I decided I needed a hand bag since dresses don’t have pockets. I traveled 20 miles to a thrift store. I almost chickened out so I pulled into a CVS and went straight to the makeup isle to buy some cleaning wipes. No one batter an eye( that I could see). So it gave me the courage to go the big store. Here’s the really amazing part: I had to wait outside ( nerve racking) for covid limits but when it was my turn the woman at the door said “ your next ma’am”!!!! It was such a confidence boost. I did get a lot of hairy eyeballs though once in from all the young Hispanic men:’(.

what I learned: makeup on hot days and covid mask don’t mix. Bring powder next time. I really need to find a shopping buddy, I don’t have a clue how to shop for women’s stuff. Last but not least: I have to work on my voice. I was to afraid to say anything while out.

what was your first adventure out like?

CAT0, KittyKat97 and rktonks like this.
  2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    First off, congrats; this is kind of a milestone, and I'm glad it went well.
    Personally, I find that a mask makes me a lot less worried about being clocked, since it hides a good part of my face. As for hot days... I live in Arizona, so I feel you there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And yeah, it helps to have a shopping partner; not only is it comforting to have someone with you as backup of sorts, but it's good to get opinions on what looks good on you, what goes good with this outfit, etc.

The first time I went shopping en femme in any way was a quick trip to the dollar store with my mom. But all I had on that was feminine in any way was a kind of girly top; the shorts were from the men's department. And this was back when we were being told not to wear masks, so my face was bare. Nerve-wracking indeed.

Since then, I've gone out in shorts and a tight shirt and a mask, and while I have gotten looks in the restrooms, I haven't gotten stares or comments.

My mom, niece, and I went to Las Vegas to hang out a couple weeks ago, and this time I was fully in girls' clothes (shorts and a shirt; not very feminine, but not masculine either). Between them and my mask I was pretty comfortable all day, except for trips to the restrooms; I'm still nervous about this.

Bri2020 likes this.
  3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine transition process has been little by little, so I really don't remember or know what qualifies. I'm now to the point where I wear dresses and a stuffed bra, carry a purse, and paint my nails (still look masculine from the neck up). I have gotten more and more confident as I go along. I'm now comfortable shopping in the bra department, and more comfortable shopping in (and walking through) the general women's department than the men's.

rktonks likes this.
  4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think that's great! I still have a little anxiety about it, worrying about being clocked or whatever (especially in restrooms!) but I find that this gets a lot easier as you get more used to it.

#4 solarcat, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had some journeys out years before I made my transition. I think one of my first was in 2015.
    I’d gone to Fredericks of Hollywood to do some shopping. I was wearing a hoodie and a bra from them(no shirt between).
    They were having a special sale. I bought some undies and a cute night slip

rktonks and Bri2020 like this.
  6. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure when I will be ready for restrooms I do not want to have a scene erupt when I'm not even "out" yet. The goddess help me if someone called the police and I got arrested or something. Here's to hoping the prostrate shrinks fast on HRT so I don't have to go as often :wink:

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't know about prostate size, but spironolactone has a tendency to make one have to pee more frequently. I think it may just be extra trips in the morning, since it's normally advised to take it when you wake up so you don't have to go in the middle of the night.Now, I haven't noticed a huge difference here, and for the most part I'm still able to avoid public restrooms, so I wouldn't worry too much about this..