1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being LGBTQ amid Covid

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by don72tx, Jul 6, 2020.

1. don72tx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This may have been brought up here before, but I am finding it very frustrating as I am sure most are that in this time of Covid it has shut down and off any thought of being out and looking for both new friends and even someone to become more with. You can't even think of hugging someone let alone sharing kisses and both of this i need so badly. The desire to be close to someone now is only intensified because you just can't do it!

I read something the other day about being in Quarantine except that they said it was queerantine which seems a more appropriate term. Just my luck that when I can finally decide to really think of coming out to others that Covid happens.

I would be really interested to hear how others are handling this and their thoughts......

Bisurprise and Unsure77 like this.
  2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    As an introvert, the idea of social distancing isn't really a huge problem for me, especially since the friends I do have live far away from me anyway. That I no longer have the option of going to a Pride parade or to a queer support group like I had been considering is a bit of a bummer. But I have to say, I like having a face mask that hides the facial hair that shaving/ makeup doesn't quite cover as well as I'd like. Unless I have to raise my voice, which doesn't pass as well as I'd like.

gravechild and don72tx like this.
  3. lm2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi. I love this! because of the title and how covid comes into play really. it's a bummer I know. I myself feel obligated to say my sexual preference because it the covid makes you feel tight and like you have to say it. it's so hard! I'm all emotional myself. I know how you feel. it's intensified. no idea . just try to say it all to you! best wishes!

don72tx likes this.
  4. don72tx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is exactly how I feel too. The feelings and desires have intensified because you can't do anything! Covid is horrible and is going to leave us with a much different world when this is all over, but i would hope we all will be more loving and caring to one another no matter who you are or your orientation.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm glad things have semi-reopened. My biggest issues with the shutdown have not been queer related, but I will say that I am trans and I'm only socially transitioning, so being stuck at home for two months or however long it was of total shutdown have been that being stuck at home, I feel I can't really express myself as trans if no one is there to see me. Now that things have reopened a bit I've been able to go out in public and present more femininely. And thanks to the government stimulus money, I've been able to buy new women's clothes.

don72tx likes this.
  6. KeLeWi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COVID has been hellacious on social lives, for sure. I never considered myself to be very social. I thought that it would be no problem at all for me to stay home and be socially distant. Honestly, though, I have discovered that I miss being in a crowd of people. It is not that I want to be WITH people--I just need to be AROUND people. ZOOM meetings just don't meet my need of seeing people interact.

Lyman likes this.
  7. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I thought i would be fine being Single cuz i´m not a Extrovert . I could´t visit "Mother" because she emergency got rushed to the hospital,
    hab rehab for around 2 months and not seeing my sibling&his Kid because he have to help her with alot of stuff.
    My Lap area asks for attention alot this whole month, it´s so weird cuz that only happened during my 1 Crush when i was 19.
    And annoying cuz the weather was humit and underwears already get sticky in summer months...

#7 Fishtail, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  8. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I have read, members of the LGBT+ community have been disproportionately affected by Covid-19 and the restrictions it has placed on our lives. It's not just about the inability to hook up and have sex, but also about the sense of isolation from the wider community and the need to remain at home for long periods of time with little social contact.

Even though I am married and don't live alone I have found this year particularly difficult. There have been days when I have genuinely struggled to find a single thing to say because life has become so hum-drum. It's been necessary to dig deep and really trudge on some days.

If you are feeling low, do make the effort to reach out to friends and family. Even if you can't meet up, try to make a call or use Skype etc. Don't let the monotony get the better of you. Just a note of caution though... don't use webcams to relieve your horniness. I've heard of many gay and bi people having jack-off sessions (and more) with friends and random people via the internet during lockdown, not knowing if they are being recorded, or not. Don't do something silly in the moment while you are horny that could have long term consequences.

Lyman likes this.
  9. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even though I live in a country that has been less affected it has limited my life. This year pride was cancelled and the local LGBT group has not had any meets since February. I also do table top role play and that moved online for several months and I do not use social media or chat type apps which meant that I lost that connection also. My marriage also ended right after the whole thing hit which means that I now live alone (a good thing actually the relationship was abusive).

My one bright spot in all of it is that I have one friend who I meet with on average once a week, hopefully at least that will keep up.

10. lm2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think of this. Wow! Good.

11. Bisurprise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually came to terms with my sexuality during pride month in quarantine XD Yeah it's kinda sad that I won't be able to go to a pride parade event, or see anyone that's a part of the LGBT community soon. I really don't see a future where everything comes out okay, at least with the way the US is (horribly) handling it. I try not to think about it, but that's just how I am. I bet everyone else in my position is absolutely bonkers right now.

FleetFoxes likes this.
  12. FleetFoxes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally agree! I think time in isolation has given me more mental freedom to really think about what my orientation really is! The past 6 months have been quite a period of revelation for me, and i've been able to come out to more of my friends as it feels safer somehow.