1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever had a homophobic teacher at school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Jun 4, 2020.

1. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your school sounds intense. Are all the schools in Ireland like that?

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not that I'm aware of. Of course I wasn't aware of being queer when I was in school and only once do I know of a class in which I had at least one queer classmate. But in that same class that I had a queer classmate (it was a college course on human sexuality) the professor said that believed that bisexuality wasn't really a thing. I don't recall if he explained what he meant by that. I assume he was under the impression that if a bisexual guy enters into a relationship with another guy, then he's homosexual and not bi which is basically like saying that when someone gets married they're no longer attracted to anyone else.

3. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. But I have had homophobic classmates and co-workers. They didn't pick on me though since they were oblivious about the fact that I'm gay.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a homophobic headmaster. Bizarrely, after certain events, he was charged with sexual abuse of four boys at the schools and he committed suicide.

5. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t remember. At a High School reunion, years later, a science teacher was talking in ways that led me to suspect he was, but he’d not shown it in class. One of the music teachers completely ignored me on backwards day, maybe because I was dressed in my Mom’s clothes (that’s what another student thought, but I never asked).

I was on a school district’s Health and Sexuality curriculum review team, as a community member (a requirement in that state to have community reviews). I consider it a massive win that we moved the district from Abstinence-Only policy, to Abstinence-Centered. That meant teachers and coaches could include stuff about condoms, birth control, etc. if asked. By now things have improved even more in that state, it was decades ago.

When my kids were older I attended a school board meeting where they were considering shutting down all clubs, just because there was an effort to add a GSA. It isn’t just teachers. Fortunately they saw the public presences and advocacy and after going into closed session with their lawyer decided to allow the GSA after all. It isn’t just teachers.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its hard to say as I went to a small school and think their was only maybe half a dozen students who were LGBT. I had a really sexist teacher, if you had a dick you were lucky if you got a C. I think the only reason I passed her class is I told her no one read the books just the cliff notes and wrote a three page paper about how the only thing American was gas guzzling V8s and stealing everyone else's ideas. She passed me just cause she hated me so much she didn't want me a second semester.

I think most of the teachers managed to keep a certain amount of separation of their beliefs and how they acted in school. As for the students, some of them were crap.

7. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not overtly, but I do remember in Jr. High one of our classes having a Formal “debate” on whether homosexuality was a sin. The guy was against used the “God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve” defense and the teacher and most of the classes not sagely at such wisdom and cleverness. Oddly, nobody in my class came out as queer until after high school and I still have no idea who the other lesbians were (when we were a class of 300....there had to have been some).

8. PearlJh3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to really like my year 10/11 English teacher. However, the longer he taught us, the more his true colours shone through. He was the deputy head teacher and head of behaviour, and the school had recently told parents that the school had started through an anti-bullying campaign with a "focus" on LGBT issues (they put up 3 posters then decided they had done enough to put up a pride flag on campus). The teacher for some reason wanted all the popular boys to like him and consistently played favourites in class, that pissed me off but the thing that made me the most angry was when his favourite boys would call gay characters and other students f*ggots and act in disgust when anything remotely queer happened and the teacher, OUR DEPUTY HEAD AND HEAD OF BEHAVIOUR would just pretend not to hear. Then, as the pierce de resistance of his mockery of modern schooling, when we were studying an early romantic period text, a part of the script said "gay" as a reference to being happy and he said to a class of 30 fifteen/sixteen year olds "It doesn't mean boys bumming other boys" and it goes without saying but it was definitely in 'that' tone; CEO of failing to be a good role model

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t know if I had any homophobic teachers, but I had a few that didn’t like me to a personal level.

My third grade teacher personally didn’t like me. I knew it and my parents knew it. I was always sitting in the back of the classroom. That’s where she kept her personal undesirables. She made me ill. I missed so many days that year that I almost had to repeat.

I had another teacher in 9th grade that was out to get me I think too. He would tell my parents not too worry that I would pass his class only to tell me the next day that he didn’t know if I would pass his class or not. He was emotionally abusive. He would tell me I might as well drop out of high school. He was too arrogant to be a teacher I think.

10. bubblesh204

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I had any teachers that were openly homophobic, but most of them just seemed to not know how to handle conflicts in their classrooms. During my freshman year, I was outed by a group of students in my science class and then was teased during class. The teacher never did anything about it and didn't seem to know what to do.

Then, during my junior year government class, the speech topic I chose was about something relating to LGBTQ+ rights and another student interrupted me saying, "well you only care about this because you're gay." The teacher for this class was a close family friend that I wasn't out to at the time and he said nothing to the student but like my science teacher, seemed caught off guard and didn't know what to do.

For reference, I went to a small school in a rural part of my state so I'm not sure most of my teachers had encountered issues like this before.