1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIV safety and PrEP for bi guys?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lucas78, Jun 22, 2020.

1. lucas78

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I told my doctor I was coming out as a bi man she sent me some info on PrEP (Truvada or Descovy) as something I might want to consider, to reduce the risk of HIV transmission.

This is probably the biggest "new" thing since I was young and took sex ed -- HIV is still very scary for men who have sex with men, but it's both more treatable and can usually be prevented with the prophylactic use of antivirals. I'm still looking into this, and I'm leaning towards maybe I do want to do it just to feel safer.

My risk profile is likely relatively low as I expect to do no anal, so that reduces transmission risk a lot right there; oral has a lower risk but not a zero risk, and as a friend said "it only takes one transmission to get it".

Any gay/bi guys out there on one of the PrEP drugs and have any experiences or recommendations? I'm worried about the cost but I'd rather pay for PrEP while I'm sexually active than pay for HIV suppression drugs for the rest of my life!

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best advise is to go speak to your doctor about it. I personally believe anyone that engages in risky gay sex should be on PrEP, and it should be made affordable for everyone. The more people that are on it, the higher the probability that HIV infections can be reduced (which many countries with free programs have actually witnessed).

Contented likes this.
  3. lucas78

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yup. Definitely seeing my doctor for actual medical advice. :slight_smile:

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I would say is that taking PrEP does not remove the need to practice safe sex, as many mistakenly believe. I say this for the benefit of everyone reading. PrEP is not a magic bullet that completely eliminates the HIV transmission risk and we can't just go on trust and throw caution to the wind. Sad to say that many guys are now returning to risky sexual behaviour, like barebacking, just because they and others are on PrEP.

lucas78 and Contented like this.
  5. lucas78

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yikes! Good point yes.

6. lucas78

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've decided a) it's the smart and responsible thing to get on it and b) I'm still not gonna do risky behavior cause I'm a sensible adult. :slight_smile:

I set up an appointment with my doctor to talk more and set it up.

Adz6 likes this.