1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do to support the BLM movement?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revive, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Revive

Revive Guest

I try to educate myself a lot and donate to local organisations. What about you?

2. Mindalena

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same.
    I've been donating to organizations that are lobbying for police reform and advocating for jailed protestors as well as making sure that all my friends and family have news updates on what's actually happening- social media is very useful for making sure everyone knows what law enforcement are doing and where. Also, like you said, always trying educating myself better on the issues facing POC not just here in the US, but around the world. I don't know about you, but what's happening right now feels like it has the momentum to oust racist attitudes and institutions here in the US. The video of George Floyd was just so graphically brutal so soon after Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery. With police violence ramping up, battle lines have been drawn, and I think Americans are in this for the long haul, i don't think there's any going back.

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a cis-passing, white, identified male, I'll use my privileges to try and help any other racial, sexual, or gender minority, because it's not only black rights, women's right, or LGBT rights, it's HUMAN rights. There was a black man who got charged for a petty crime and got life in prison, where someone like Brock Turner (a cis, white male), raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster, got a slap on the wrist and 6 months in prison, and was released 3 months early. And that's why I support not only the BLM movement, but any human rights movement.

In order for any change to actually happen, we need to have the uncomfortable conversations with people of opposing views. Posting on social media to liberal boards to people who have similar views isn't going to affect any kind of change.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has nothing to do with him being white or male for the record. That's just how the US prison system works. If you don't get charged with more crimes like fighting the guards while you're locked up, your sentence is reduced for "good behavior." It's a way to prevent overcrowding by getting people out faster and give the guards some protection, since there's really no reason not to stab a guard if you're there for a 40 year sentence anyway....but if you can get out in 20 for good behavior and still have a life after prison, there's suddenly a reason to not stab that guard.

#4 Destin, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brock Turner isn't a victim, he's a rapist and should have to serve the appropriate amount of time for what he has done. The woman he raped has to deal with the trauma he inflicted upon her for the rest of her life, and she doesn't get any justice! Don't tell me racial or gender inequality doesn't exist.

A black woman was murdered in her BED when police fired shots randomly into her home. Don't tell me you heard this happen to a white person. Be thankful if you're not afraid for your life to walk at night, walk through a bad neighbourhood, or you don't have to grip your keys between your fingers to act as a weapon, or carry pepper spray in case you get jumped.

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've signed petitions and donated to local organisations. I have also emailed my local MP about some things relating to the UK and racism which I feel strongly about. I've been sharing resources and discussing BLM with my family and friends.

I would like to attend a protest but I am worried about covid-19, especially as there is nothing in my town and I'd have to get public transport which we're not supposed to be using unless it's absolutely necessary.

7. La Corbeau

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've signed a few petitions and I've been educating myself on police brutality and watched some videos whose ad revenue is donated since I can't donate myself. I'm planning on sending some emails to my local government/law enforcement.

8. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Living in a small rural southern town so sadly I've not been able to participate in any protests, marches, etc. Which makes me sad. But I have been educating myself better, signing petitions, and trying to enlighten people around me on the issues. Deleted some social media accounts due to all the racism I was seeing and getting into ridiculous arguments with people who are so ignorant and blind with racism that it's impossible to get a point across. I've really grown to hate my area and most of the people in it during all of this.

9. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not an American citizen, but I've played youtube videos in the background that proceeds its profit to the BLM movement

10. Sophia04

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since I am terrified of crowds, I have instead made signs for people I know who go to protests and don't have the time in their day to make signs themselves.

11. Awydd

Awydd Guest

Educate myself, donated a little and I share info and links on my social media as regular as I can find it. But sadly a lot of posts are getting harder to find with the lack of reposts .

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not terrified, but I don't like gatherings or places with too many people

This is what I do. I try to read up on the matter and see what is happening.