1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can our relationship still work after boyfriend cheated?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Luke93, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

I need some advice on what to do. Me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 2 years and everything has been great until the other day when I found out that he has been on a hook up app and cheated.

I kept this to myself for a few days until I broke down last night and told him that I knew he'd been cheating. I don't know what to do, we live together and I'm madly in love with him. I want to work this out if possible and hopefully move past this.

He's told me that the reason he thinks he did it is because we work different shifts and don't see each other much even though we live together. I work from 3pm-11pm and he works from 8:30am-5pm. He gets lonely and horny whilst I'm not there so has occasionally gone on the hook up app. I'm certain that he totally regrets it, he ended up getting very emotional and crying which is something that he never does even when he's upset. He even suggested that he should leave.

We've been planning our future together and both planned on proposing on holiday in the next few months it turned out.

I just don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can still work but it depends on whether you feel you can still trust him and if he's genuinely committed to changing his ways in the long-term.

Working opposite shifts is an excuse. Being lonely and horny because you weren't there is an excuse. Joining a hook-up app, using it (more than once by the sound of it) to find someone he was interested in, and then cheating with them is a thought-out process. It's not something that just happens.

How long-term is it that your shifts aren't going to match up? If you're still working late nights in a year, is he going to get bored again? Is he willing to work on himself so that he can handle those times when he's lonely and you're not there?

lovewine and Luke93 like this.
  3. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response.
    I feel like I might be able to trust him again eventually but I don't know how long that will take. He says that he'll do whatever he can to avoid it happening again. I even discussed if he was interested in an open relationship just to see to try and understand if he still wants to have sex with other people but he says he doesn't want that.

I've been working the same shift since we've been together but we've discussed this and have decided that it'd be best for me to get a day job when everything goes back to normal from this coronavirus.

I want to trust him and forgive but I also don't want to be heartbroken again if he decides to do it again

lovewine likes this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the thing here is to understand the underlying issues.

So this might tell me that he's got major self-esteem issues. And if that's the case, what that usually translates to is, the sex is a way of (for a moment) making himself feel wanted and worthy. So the acting out of going on the apps and hooking up is essentially an addictive behavior... and for the most part, addictions are coping strategies for dealing with pain. In this case, the pain of not feeling worthy.

His saying he won't go on an app again is like the person with alcohol use disorder saying they'll never take another drink. It is absolutely well intentioned, but when the overwhelming feeling of pain (lack of worthiness) come up, the coping strategy is right there and it is near impossible to not engage in it when it is (for the moment) effective. So it is unlikely to be effective.

There's no easy solution. What he really needs is to explore the self-esteem issues. And that takes time, and usually means going to therapy. It also means having the willingness to go into that stuff, which isn't fun... but which will ultimately benefit him tremendously.

What you really have to ask yourself is what you want. The problem won't likely go away on its own. So either you'll continue to get hurt and disappointed, or he'll simply stop telling you, which will further damage the relationship. And another question to explore is your own sense of worthiness... is he worth it? Do you honestly, in your heart, believe you deserve someone who can be faithful? (Those aren't flippant or rhetorical questions; they are opportunities to think about what you want, and what your actions and unconscious behaviors and feelings dictate.)

If you believe that there's a future, that you are worthy of a healthy relationship, that he can get to that place and is willing to do the work to get there... it's a long road, but it could work. But only if the two of you are on the same page and willing to both do whatever self-work is required.

This is something that usually requires some introspection and thought and honest conversation between the two of you.

Keep us in the loop about how it goes.

lovewine, TheodoreAC and Luke93 like this.
  5. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response.

He's always seemed to be very confident. I don't really think he has any self esteem issues but I might be wrong. His last relationship was a complete mess. They were together for 7 years but they seemed terrible years from what he has told me. His ex did cheat on him but he also cheated on his ex.

I've suggested maybe going to some kind of couples therapy which he said he didn't think we needed but that he'd go if I wanted to.
    I want this relationship to work and he says that he does too. I've never had great self esteem myself so this has definitely affected me.

I just love him so much, even after what he's done to us. I just don't know what to do.

We've said that we'll just have to see what happens. I'm even considering changing jobs for him that's how much I want him

6. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have told him that he ever gets the urge and feels like going on the app to talk to me or message me. I don't know if he actually will, I've told him that I won't judge him if he has those urges. It's the lying that has hurt me the most. If he can just be honest with me then I'll be okay

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! There is a part of me that wonders whether you are placing your boyfriend ahead of your own worthiness. The thing that stands out for me from your last couple of responses is your lack of self-esteem. All I would say is that don't do anything hasty, or something you could regret later on.

Definitely, work with your boyfriend on trying to get through this and building a relationship that allows you to trust him but throughout this process, it would be good to check in with yourself on wether the both of you put the same of efforts into this or is one doing more than the other.

8. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response.
    What do you think would be the best way to rebuild the relationship?
    We've already sat down and discussed it multiple times. I have to give credit to him for being honest when I've asked him about details that I'd never have known about if he'd lied to me.
    Being in lockdown isn't helping me at all. I can't just go out and forget about it for a bit, it's on my brain 24/7 unless I'm spending time with him.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have already started on the path of rebuilding the relationship; however, I do agree with Chip that it can take some time for it to be rebuilt. Communicating, being open and honest are certainly important ingredients in rebuilding the trust and for the relationship to work out in the long-term. I will add though, giving yourself the space to do your own thing and have your own space is going to be as important. While I understand that it is on your mind, it is perhaps more so than it should be given that you have had (from the sounds of it) several productive conversations with him.

Another piece in this, is going to be you working on your own self-esteem, self-worth. It would be good to build that self-esteem, worthiness, independent of your relationship. What I mean here, is for you to be able to stand on your two feet, being able to see a reflection of yourself and be able to say to yourself, 'this is me and though I am not perfect and never will be - I am good with that; this is who I am, this is who I want to be, and these are my values that I will hold on to no matter what.'

You can still spend time with your boyfriend. Make it a point of speaking with him over the phone (not text messaging) and/or video calling. There are quite a few options to bridge the gap allowing you to still be able to continue working on rebuilding your relationship, continuing the open communication with him.

TheodoreAC and Luke93 like this.
  10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone who stays in a dysfunctional relationship for 7 years, where both of them are cheating... is not someone who has the best self esteem. Keep in mind that sometimes the most insecure people are also the most arrogant, with the strongest false self confidence. It is the subtle behaviors that stem from the unconscious that give them away.

That seemed likely from what you said about your own feelings/perspective.

Well... no offense, but what you are describing is pretty much a textbook description of the battered spouse... "But he's such a wonderful person when he isn't beating me. He always treats me kindly afterwards." And we know that battered spouses stay in these abusive relationships becuase their own self esteem is so far in the shitter that they honestly don't believe they deserve better. I'm not saying that you're in that situation by any means, only that there are probably some traits there that are worth looking at.

*If* this is done as much to benefit you as it is to benefit him (meaning, that you could get a better job, a higher paying job, one that would be more fulfilling, or all three), then it is worth considering. I would not, however, take an inferior job or a pay cut, as you need to take care of yourself. Your needs are as important, and arguably more important, than his.

TheodoreAC, OnTheHighway and Luke93 like this.
  11. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response, I haven't taken offense.

I totally agree with what you've said. I've always said that if anyone cheats on me that I'd never stay but now that I'm in this position I'm totally unsure of what to do.

Unfortunately I do change jobs would likely be quite a pay drop. I'd still be able to afford my mortgage I'd just have a coupe of hundred less disposable income per month. On the bright side I'd finally be able to do stuff in the evenings.

The past few days have been great apart from knowing this. He's been even more loving, helpful and attentive but I guess that's probably from the guilt that he feels. I've now been furloughed so from tonight we'll be with each other for 24/7 for at least 3 weeks so I'll have to see what happens.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The furlough (assuming you get the pay everyone else seems to be eligible for) could be a blessing in giving you time to think about this.

Keep in mind that the loving, helpful and attentive is textbook exact to what an abusive spouse does after an abusive episode. Again, not saying this is abuse in the normal sense, but it is for sure a 'honeymoon period'. If he is really serious, then he should get into therapy and work on the issues that underlie the behavior. He is unlikely to be successful changing it simply by force of will.

Take this time and think about you and what you want, separate from this relationship. What are your goals? What do you want in life? Is what you're doing now moving you in that direction? This isn't a answer-in-30-minutes exercise, it's something that might take you a week or two of really thinking. And that might help you figure out what's next.

TheodoreAC and Luke93 like this.
  13. The Falcon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, hey!

Of course, it can be worked through! Do not worry.

Just give each other time, and talk about it. See how you feel. Do you want to get back at him? Do you trust him enough?

14. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,
    I just thought I'd update you all. I've just found out he's still speaking to people so it looks like our relationship is over. I wanted to make it work and told him that he can tell me if he messed up as it was the lying that hurt the most but he can't even do that.

I'm going to have it out with him this weekend. Hopefully this doesn't mess me up too much. It's our anniversary next week which makes it all even worse.

Thanks for your advice

15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you want to have it out with him? What more do you need to know?

16. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I
    Thanks for your response.

I don't really need to know anything else. I just want to talk about everything, tell him that I know and how we're going to work things temporarily.

He doesn't have any family members near by so he'll have to sort himself a place out and as much as I hate what he's done to me I don't want to see him on the street

17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, ok. Take care of yourself and be strong. :slight_smile:

18. Luke93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you.

There's still a part of me that wants to take him back but I know he'll let me down again so it's just best to end it

19. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it sounds like you’ve done all you can do. For me, a relationship without trust isn’t a relationship. I think you probably need someone who wants the same things as you and puts in the effort. In short, I think you deserve better.

Im really sorry to hear it though, I know it must be heartbreaking. But you’ll be alright in the end - it’ll just take time. A lot of time! Be kind and patient with yourself while you’re working through it.

Luke93 likes this.
  20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are doing the right thing. Rest assured, he'll pull out all the stops and convince you that *THIS* time will be different... he'll do this or that... and if you care about yourself, the correct answer is likely "No, that ship has sailed. We already had this conversation, you had your chance."

I would not take any excuses, explanations, justifications. No amount of crying or begging. He'll try it all. I can pretty much guarantee it.

The key for you is to stay strong, and to recognize that you. deserve. better.

Set a very clear and firm deadline for his getting out. A month is generous. And on the 32nd day, he needs to be gone. Not offering excuses, pleading, or coming up with reasons why he should stay.

The problem with folks like this is that they can be very manipulative, and for folks like yourself with low self esteem, it's really easy to get suckered.

I am confident you can do the right thing. It will suck, but you'll be much better for it in the long run.

Luke93 likes this.