1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe lesbian sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Addie, May 31, 2020.

1. Addie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am young girl wanting to know how to be safe when having sex for the first time.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello there,

The most important thing, when you're having sex for the first time, is to have sex with someone you trust to respect you and your body. As you say that you're young, you might want to wait a few years so that you're ready. You and your partner should be mature enough to both know what you're doing. That's what called "consent" - it means that you both understand and agree that you want to have sex. This is important always, no matter how old you are - so always ask your partner if they want to have sex! In most countries there is a age limit (16 years old, in MN for example) on when someone is legally old enough to give their "consent". So bear that in mind.

Now, when it comes to lesbian sex - I'm a gay man, so I'm not much help. Maybe some of our members who know more about vaginas want to chime in! However, I did find this article on Planned Parenthood:

That last part about regular check-ups is important. I know it sounds embarrassing, but after you start having sex frequently, it's good to make sure that you haven't picked up any unwelcome sexually transmitted diseases! It's worth thinking about doing if you've have multiple partners, or if you've just finished a relationship, for example. That's the best way to make sure you stay healthy.

#2 Spartan 117, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    gurlinred, case121 and Hawk like this.
  3. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    100% agree with Spartain117. Consent is the first step.. Speaking as a man, I do know that dental dams can be used for safe lesbian sex.

4. TheodoreAC

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know anything about sex myself other than what my health teacher's told me, but the way to prevent STI's from oral sex with a vagina is with a dental dam, they're not sold everywhere but there are video's on youtube on how to make one using a condom (those you can buy basically everywhere).
    Lastly, remember to talk about your partner about whether or not they have an STI and also always ask for consent before having sex.
    Also, talk to your partner about whether or not they have a latex allergy. They may have one, if they do then you need to find a non-latex condom to make a dental dam yourself since most dental dams are made from latex. I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

Here's a link to a video about how to make a dental dam from a condom

gurlinred likes this.
  5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dental dams and gloves are your best bet as well as condoms for toys you use (that you need to change each time you change on who you are using it) but in absolute honesty, and it doesn't mean I condone it all BUT I would say that in reality very few girls use protection, not saying it's okay, again, but just as a heads up so that if it is something that matters to you (and it should) you are aware it might be something you have to request rather than assume will automatically happen.

gurlinred likes this.
  6. Loves books

When you get around to actually having sex, as an added protection you could suggest you both get tested for STIs. Dental dams are really only used in oral sex and can be difficult to get but it’s really easy to make one with a condom. I don’t think most people would use gloves during sex but as long as your hands are clean and you clean them well afterwards I don’t think gloves are necessary. Apart from that what the others said is good advice.