1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my name is Richard...im 56

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by rtoddhix, Jun 2, 2020.

1. rtoddhix

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yes..... I am 56 and not totally out of the closet....my biggest challenge is my dad. hes 75 and still kicking. Meanwhile I live in the same town and work part time for him. my life revolves around him. I don't want to crush him but its crushing me living this way. I think deep down he knows...I think we have all suppressed it but I cant do it no more, its killing me not to be able to live like I want to. I live in a very small town and "word" gets out. He is very old school. im looking forward to sharing my story in my blog. im a writer but this situation is really pressing against me atm. any words of wisdom will really help me right now.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Richard, and welcome to Empty Closets! I have come to the right place to receive some feedback and perhaps forge a path forward. It might be worthwhile to check out the LGBT Later in Life section of the forum and see if there are stories to which you can relate to and share your experiences further.

I wonder though, if you have the feeling that he already knows, or has picked up some clues along the way, it might be worthwhile to think about ways on how you could bring up the conversation. Sometimes, parents can be a lot more supportive and understanding than we feel, think they will be.

Stay around, and I hope you will find the forum to be useful. :slight_smile:

3. rtoddhix

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Mirko. I will most definitely look into that site at the forum. I know im older and can provide insight and hope for others.

yes striking up a conversation with my dad is most difficult since he is very narrow minded and prejudice. I don't know how he would react. my sister knows and wants me to keep it private don't think he would take the news well...

thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to being active on the forum...see you around.

Richard

4. Mus1cGuy69

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Richard welcome to EC!!

5. rtoddhix

Gender Pronoun:
    He