1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's yalls favorite sports and why?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ErickWolf, May 31, 2020.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This might be kind of an unpopular topic but I'm bored and am posting in case it doesn't get ignored or get me pelted with rotten tomatoes lol.

I like sports but casually, and I like them more for the game itself and the fun - I don't really have much interest in specific players or stats or whatever and don't watch much tv. I also much prefer playing to watching. That's partly because in general I feel like a lot of my life has been passive and been watching other people do things I want to; enough of that for me lol. Get me tf on the field/court/rink! I do watch some of it, but I much prefer to be doing.

I've never played on a team or official group or whatever yet for a number of reasons, but ones I've had fun trying casually are tennis, soccer, and lacrosse. I'm a simple man, okay, I enjoy yeeting things with a stick, defending a goal, and hitting things across a court. xD It's also always amusing when me or somebody hits it over the fence or takes a mudslide or something, as long as no one gets hurt. I live for good laughs - what's life without humor??

For me it's an opportunity to have fun, do something that's natural and fun to me, and feel alive. When I'm playing sports, even if it's just extremely casual and even if none of us are good at it or trying to be good, I'm having the time of my life. Whether at the given moment I'm in the mood to practice/improve or just have some silly fun with friends, I love it.

Tennis is nice because it only requires two people and not much equipment, and it's fun. It has nothing, at least certainly not for casual players, to do with size or height and has so little safety risks. I'm not stuck passing it up because I'd get pancaked/am not allowed to play/can't afford stuff for it, etc. I'm a very short person but I can cover a lot of ground quickly, so I love being able to make ridiculous saves.

Soccer requires more people but practically no equipment. I only know the basic rules and things for the sports I like, but that's all you really need to play casually and get started! Soccer was one of the major "I can" experiences in life and I still love the fond memory I have. I've played once, a language club game in high school (as a freshmen or sophomore, I think). I signed up last minute on a "oh what the hell, I'll try" whim. It started with me being clueless, nervous, and especially seeing a lot of the other people who were bigger and fitter than me and at least some of whom probably knew more than my zero-knowledge, was wondering wtf I'd gotten myself into lmao.

I thought, oh my god, I'm probably gonna make a fool of myself, what am I doing, but I signed up, so might as well try. I played defense and it was some of the most fun I've had in my life, and was one of those awesome experiences where I overcame a fear/doubt and also found something I love! Little, clueless, un-confident me actually won MVP! I played as hard as I could the entire time. Everyone had fun too. Me and my attacker, at one point, mud-slid into each other because the field was crappy and muddy, and we just laughed about it. No one got hurt. I came home covered in mud and sweat. It was awesome!

I've only recently added lacrosse to my 'hobby hoard,' and have only done extremely basic stuff and haven't really played with more than 2 other people yet, but it's fun and interesting so far. A sport I'd never payed attention to, mainly because I was clueless about it and thought I'd be horrible at it so why even bother, actually comes kinda naturally to me!

Finally, a sport I actually did but quit - sort of - is figure skating. I quit because I was exhausted and overloaded with school, and because not being out (and competing in the wrong category) eventually made me lose my enthusiasm for it. No fault of the sport or my coaches or fellow skaters tho. It was fun. Like so many other things in my life, I picked it up seemingly out of nowhere and tbh probably as part of an interest or hyperfixation lmao. I'd watched the Sochi Olympics and despite wanting nothing to do with either ice or roller skating for my whole life so far (I always was afraid I'd fall and seriously hurt myself lmao), for whatever reason, I was like omg I gotta try that. In a few years I'd become one of my coaches' top students! I loved it. I still do it casually. A routine and music isn't really my thing, but I do enjoy skating just for skating's sake. The jumps and some simple footwork tricks are my favorite skating things.

Sorry for this wall of text and props to anyone who actually uhh...managed to read this haha. ^^" Anyway I wanna hear from yall now! Also, please tell me if it's possible to add a spoiler on this site. I don't want to bore people or make people ignore/quit a topic, but I also don't always want to shorten and lessen what I'm saying.

#1 ErickWolf, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. La Corbeau

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I fence. Or at least I was starting to fence before everything shut down. It was fun, for the like two weeks I did it.

And yeah, you can put spoilers on. I think the BB code is [SPOILR] blah blah etc [/SPOILR], but spoiler is spelled correctly.

3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I can't edit my post now but I'll do that in the future if I ramble a lot in a post. I almost completely forgot, I did try fencing and taekwondo when I was younger. I just eventually dropped out of taekwondo because kid me wasn't as patient as I am now lol. I quit at yellowbelt I think. Fencing didn't work for me because the instructor was a cool guy I guess but like...he literally didn't teach. So it was kinda fun but between the commute to get there and the fact that the dude didn't rly teach and just kinda expected us to already know stuff, I quit lol. The Wendy's I got basically every night after fencing was great tho (I love Wendy's, especially the chicken nuggets, omg), and it's a cool sport.

4. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Depends. Traditional sports I like baseball. I know many people find it boring to watch, but I like it. One of the best parts of baseball is the 9th inning. The pitcher has to earn the final three outs. They can't just sit on the ground, do nothing and say "we win" like in football. My true passion, however is professional wrestling.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here.

Soccer and basketball are fun casually :slight_smile: I like tennis a lot too. Simple and dynamic.

But my favourites are and will be martial arts. I like to even watch them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I tried a few and it’s never enough :slight_smile:

Skiing and snowboarding are also on my list of favourites.

I gave some though to extreme sports but I’m not sure if the risks are worth it for me.

6. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here, extreme sports are fun to watch but I'd probably never try them because to me it's not worth being injured or dead over. The stuff I do actually sit down and watch is the Winter Olympics. Skiing, snowboarding, bobsled, skating, curling, etc.

7. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you count marching band as a sport, that’s absolutely my favorite and I have a whole conversation fully prepared for why it is a sport.

However, if we’re talking traditional sports, baseball is definitely my favorite. I’m a huge Red Sox fan, for better or worse.

8. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ran track in high school and liked it a lot, even won state. The only sport that requires no equipment, just you. I like the purity of it.

#8 Destin, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I cycle a lot, particularly during the summer months and recently due to the lockdown (I don't drive and it's kinda illegal to use the train without a proper reason so it's the only way I can go very far)

Dancing is a sport in my view and I love that. Love watching it even more.

Not the most athletic person TBH. Don't ask me to run 5km or to play a game of football (soccer), not happening!

#9 Joe2001, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cross country skiing. I don't really consider it a sport, but hey, it's in the Olympics and I am barely active otherwise

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like baseball (Go Phillies!), and bowling (if you consider that a sport).

#11 BothWaysSecret, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  12. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I'd say running since my dad he introduced me to running at an early age and as well as my oldest sister ran as well. Running(5k+ run events) have been a family pasttime since about 1972 when my dad was part of the USMC running club in Hawaii when he was stationed at the local marine base in the island.

13. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It used to be tennis, but it's far too fast-paced and my hand-eye coordination is terrible. I do enjoy badminton though, at least the shuttlecock doesn't move nearly as fast as a tennis ball.