1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some good ways to appear more masculine without going on T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NebbityNoo, May 14, 2020.

1. NebbityNoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pursuing hormonal transition, but am not at the stage where I'll be able to access testosterone treatment, and probably won't be able to for a good while due to my parent and doctor being concerned about its possible effect on my emotional regulation, since I already have some problems with that due to being on the autism spectrum. What are some good ways to socially present more masculine? I already bind and wear mostly gender neutral/mens clothes.

2. Aytch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have heard board shorts minimize your hips. Working out and exercising your jaw will also help you appear more masculine. There are also foods that increase testosterone and/or lower estrogen. I have seen this post floating around about those foods. [​IMG]

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The foods that increase or decrease hormone levels don't work the same way as medically transitioning, and you'd have to eat a lot of a certain food, and even then you won't see any results.

If you're looking to socially transition without medical transitioning, finding a hairstyle that suits your face without accentuating your softer features may help, and you'd have to find what works best for you. Don't wear anything too baggy as it'll only look like you're wearing your dad or older brother/boyfriend's clothes. I'd find fitted, but loose clothing to hide curves. If you're on the smaller side, a lot of smaller afab people will shop in the boys' section. Also, watch how cis guys walk and act, a lot of passing has to do with confidence.

Mihael and ErickWolf like this.
  4. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in that waiting period, I found it helpful to dress a bit older and a bit more professional than I would naturally. There's a lot of cross-over between casual men's wear and lesbian/tomboy fashion. Standard men's office wear is more likely to push someone's perception of you towards "baby faced young man" rather than "masculine/butch woman."

ErickWolf and Aytch like this.
  5. TheodoreAC

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    General stuff I do and other advice I've hear below.
    Multiple layers on the top. Majority of clothes should be weaves because they don't stick to your body like knits do. Weaves are like dress shirts and knits are stretchy fabric. I wear thick looser sweaters that don't stick as much as usual sweaters and casual long button ups (collar isn't suited for a tie, tie's look ridiculous in a casual setting.
    jhe bottom button of a button up shirt shouldn't be buttoned, open collar is good in a casual setting. Straight cut pants are good a chunky / less stretchy sweater usually helps hide curves and so does the multiple layers. Your belt should always match shoes if you are doing formal/business clothes. No embroidery or flimsy fabrics, too feminine.

ErickWolf likes this.
  6. Jedi

A small thing that helps a lot (for me anyhow), is to wear a long sleeved shirt or sweater on top of a short sleeved shirt, and then push/roll the sleeves up. It really bulks up your shoulders and gives you a more typically masculine shape/outline.

ErickWolf likes this.
  7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to add that most of those foods don’t work for trans people at all, they are just healthy foods that restore balance to the organism if it is not healthy. Poor health makes the body shut down what is the least needed, so it cuts on sexual characteristics, hair, complexion and the such, and if testes or ovaries shut down, it results in hormonal imbalance. Phytoestrogens are an exception, but I’m not sure how they impact us trans guys. Trans women report to have some effect from taking them. I eat lots of soy and drink lots of green tea though and I don’t think I noticed anything happening. Moreover, it doesn’t impact my body and facial hair at all. (i’m not taking any hormones)

About the collars in shirts, I don’t know why so many FtMs button up the top button all the time. Nobody does that, it’s awkward.

Hawk likes this.