1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many months/years do you have to be together with your partner before asking them to marry you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revive, May 30, 2020.

?

How many months/years do you have to be together with your partner before asking them to marry you?

1. 0-6 months

5.0%
  2. 6-12 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1-2 years

40.0%
  4. 2-4 years

45.0%
  5. 4-7 years

5.0%
  6. 7+ years

5.0%
  1. Revive

Revive Guest

Not that I'm planning anything yet, but I was just wondering about your thoughts about it.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it really depends on how you each feel. I’m not bothered about getting married one way or another, so I would probably never ask. But, I would get married if they really wanted to and I felt committed also.

3. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think marriage is something that is determined by what feels right for you.

For me personally, I would have to truly love that person very much to be willing to marry them. Otherwise, I'd not wish to get married at all. Even then I'd prefer not to.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We were together for 18 years I think before we got married. That was a legal thing though, I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I would wait until after a year. So no super important issues would be masked by the honeymoon phase or horniness LOL. But I guess when you know, you know?

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it varies wildly. My wife and I were together five years before she asked, but we were also long-distance for most of that time (including two years where she was on the opposite side of the planet). We'd been talking about marriage as a possibility for years, especially after it was legalized, but I wanted to wait until we could move in together before getting engaged. She ended up asking me before that so we split the difference and lived together before we got married.

7. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every relationship is different so there really isn’t a cookie cutter answer for this question. You just have to talk it out and do what’s best for you.

8. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say at least a year.

9. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything under a year is just a bad idea. I'd say 2 is probably the shortest that I could recommend, and is what I did. I think 3 is a pretty safe bet.

10. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say around 2 years personally, maybe 3. That's enough time for me. Took my parents something like 5 years, that seems a bit long to me.

#10 Joe2001, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least two for sure.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with those who are saying 2 to 3. That said, I think that's basically a minimum. If you aren't sure at that point, you are under no obligation to decide.

Think of it this way: If this is truly the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, then there's absolutely no rush, because you're already spending your life with them.

If you find yourself (or the other person finds him/herself) in a hurry to get married after 6 months, 12 months, whatever... then likely there's something going on emotionally: neediness, a lack of worthiness, a fear that the person will go away... and if that's the case, a piece of paper won't change that. Real self-work is the only thing that will.

On the flip side, if it's been 3, 4, 5 years and there are no red flags, no significant problems, no deal killers and it isn't happening... that, too, might be somethiing to look at. Maybe one or both parties are afraid of commitment, and that, too, is somethign to explore in the self-work realm.

#12 Chip, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  13. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would say at least one, but if you're together for five years and you're not engaged you two need to have a serious discussion as to where your relationship is going, one way or the other. If at that point you decide to stay together but not get married, that's perfectly fine as long as you both agree. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the idea of the classic proposal. It's old fashioned. The two partners should discuss the issue over the course of time and come to a decision to marry when they both are ready.

14. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is such an interesting topic for me because it's always one I want to complain about to my parents...but I can't because they got engaged after under a year of dating.

I think it really depends on the couple, but there are also other factors to be considered. I mean my sister and brother-in-law started dating in 2013 but had known each other and been friends since...2008? He didn't propose until 2018 and they just got married last year. And this was after they both found full time jobs and literally built a house together. Their relationship I think is healthy and good.

Meanwhile, a guy I went to high school with started dating this girl in August 2017 after his relationship with his girlfriend of four years ended. He wanted to propose to this girl on Christmas 2017, but his mom and sister convinced him to wait...and then he proposed like two months later. They were juniors in college and had only been dating since August so that's just...crazy to me. They got married last year.

I think it all depends on the people and where they're at in their lives. I mean, I'm too afraid to start dating a guy just because I might have to move over an hour away for work. I think if you know, then you know, but I think you also have to take time and make sure that you know.

15. gurlinred

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 14 so don't listen to a word I say, but if a really nice girl asked me to marry her and run away with her to live in a cottage in the woods and make friends with Bambi and Thumper, I would say hell yes! But on like a reality note, personally I think you should have known them for a few months and if yall both really love each other go for it. Just be careful with marrying people super early, they don't always end up being who you thought they were.

16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with most of what has been said, except I marked a year as the lower limit. Imo the first year is trial period and if it isn't meant to last, it will fall apart during this time. Non of my relationships reached this magical 1 year length so far. And long distance relationships aren't my thing at all. On the other hand, I don't know what I would consider the upper limit. 5 years for sure, but I'm not a huge fan of the state ingerfering in private life, so under marriage I would understand moving in together and sharing life. If it isn't happening after those few years - yeah, something is off. I can't really imagine that, how you wouldn't want to live with someone you love.

17. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2-3 years, you get past the “honeymoon” phase of relationships, and are able to see beyond the ‘love goggles’.

With my ex fiancé, I was with her officially about a month before I proposed. The relationship lasted 18 months. She left me, dumping me by a letter that she left the ring on.