1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High days and off days!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Snowqueen, May 30, 2020.

1. Snowqueen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey ya all,

Does anyone else on their coming out journey have High days and off days? As in the high days when you are at complete peace with being gay and everything that it entails, then having off days, when you can't see the sun for the clouds and wishing you were straight? I've been doing ok the last few weeks, but having a major off day today, guess it started last night when I was watching a movie and got turned on when there was a scene in a changing room with naked men. Luckily my female partner didn't notice, kinda left me feeling really guilty and down. Not to mention having a way too hot moment at the gym today (changing room and an errection). Help!

BiGemini87 and Needhelp3 like this.
  2. Adz6

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes I had them all the time.
    When I was younger and in denial the off days were very bad, when the off days occurred I was a very angry young man. Angry with the world and not pleasant to be around. As I aged and came to terms with my homosexuality the off days have tapered off a bit, though I still get them. I think maturity has helped me control the off days. When I say maturity I mean by growing old!

#2 Adz6, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  3. case121

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As gay being in an opposite sex relationship, likely even makes it harder as there is a partner involved and guilt feelings might be stronger compared to being single.

ErickWolf and Snowqueen like this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out was like the biggest rollercoaster I have ever been on. There were really high highs and really low lows and they seemed to change from one to the other quickly and often without warning.

Landgirl, SkylarStar and Snowqueen like this.
  5. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not on my sexuality, but I did have these these high days and off days in the days leading up to my Phoenix Day(the day I had my revelation about myself. My rebirth if you will).
    On the “high days” I’d wear an unpadded/unlined bra/bralette and I’d feel good, I’d feel like the cloud that was over me wasn’t as thick and grey. I’d feel better than when I didn’t. I’d not drink, or not drink as much on those days. I hadn’t realized it at the time, but those times I “Girl Moded” it, it was like the cloud was blown away. Following the day of my burning(keeping with the Phoenix metaphor here) the number of days where I’d either partially or fully Girl Mode it increased. I never fully went Girl Mode it at work until I had my meeting with my managers, one because I wasn’t sure how they would react, and two because I wasn’t yet ready.
    On these low days, I’d purely “Boy Mode” it. I’d not feel good, it was like the cloud was there and it was thick and black. These days I’d drink, rather heavily. I knew it wasn’t a healthy coping mechanism, but I didn’t care. All I knew was that the pain I was feeling was dulled. All I knew is that when I dulled the pain, the obsessions of “who am I” went away.

Before the day of my burning, I’d never think about partially Girl Moding at work, I never even thought of it as an option. All I ever did before that day was wear a tank top under my work shirt.

Of course my managers probably figured something was going on, but they never brought anything up until I sent the email needing to set up a meeting to “discuss a major life change”. Of course in that email I didn’t mention anything about what this life change was, but they figured it out between the two of them. To top things off, the night I had my revelation I had Girl Moded to karaoke that night, and I something I heard had gotten the gears working in my head, and it finally got the “is this me” to become “this is me”. Such a simple transposition in print, such a difficult change to do in reality.

La Corbeau and ErickWolf like this.
  6. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came Out to 6 years ago but last year told my uncle who raised me last year, I do experience highs and lows .. but at the end of the day I’m happy that I’m out and proud of myself. I hope my lows go away.. sucks

7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I sort of know what your talking about, and mine is more gender related than sexuality related. The difference for me is that on my off days, I mainly just feel blah, and not so much wishing I wasn't queer.

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know what drives the lows?

9. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine aren't particularly extreme, but I've had my share of highs and lows regarding my bisexuality in the past year. Sometimes I'm completely okay with it, other days I feel ashamed of being attracted/aroused at the sight of other women. Some of this, I suspect, comes from this weird idea in my head that I'm not good enough (I've gone through this with guys all my life, so I guess I became so used to it, it just became background noise). I mean, logically I know I can fantasize about whatever I want, that fantasizing doesn't mean I'm actually expecting anything.

But I guess there's always going to be that part that insists, if I could, the attraction wouldn't be mutual anyway.

So in a nutshell: some of it has to do with my orientation, some of it is just anxiety and self-esteem issues.

case121 likes this.
  10. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I question myself still even though I know the truth, still a little in denial.

11. case121

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As far as my experience the high and low days are much driven by unconsciousness.

I can feel horrible sometimes without being triggered by something and also can feel happy without an obvious catalyst, so assume 'deep inside' in the factory things happen...'Background noise' as Bigemini87 describes it that colors the mood.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think the questioning comes from you wishing it wasn't true?