1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it count as binging and purging if I don't force myself to throw up

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FuelsMySong, May 20, 2020.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A couple of minutes ago, I finished my dinner (rice, carrots, spinach, 14 pieces of chicken as well as roasted milk tea with tapioca pearls for dessert), I realize it is a lot of food but I thought since i am eating veggies, like carrots and spinach, that it was still somewhat healthy.

Whenever I eat too much, I have a reflex of throwing it all up. However, I would not call myself bulimic because I do not force myself to throw up by putting my finger or any other object down my throat. I simply just throw up as a reflex.

i was wondering if this would count as an eating disorder. Would it be binge-eating disorder? I also think it could be because I take several medications for depression and psychosis/schizophrenia.

I used to be 115 pounds in my teens but when I reached 21 and because of antipsychotic meds, I shot up to 160, then to 180.....several months ago, I was at the 160s range but for some reason, after visiting a personal trainer, I reached the 170s and haven't been able to get back to the 160s. I am 5'2 so this means I am overweight, perhaps even obese.

It was quite disappointing because I thought seeing a personal trainer would help me LOSE weight but instead, I gained like 10 pounds! I stopped seeing the trainer but I still work out by walking and doing exercise DVDs.

I was around 177 pounds a few weeks ago then, by some miracle, I went down to 173 pounds. Right now, I am around 175 pounds. I am not sure why I passed the 160s range and can't back to that range, but maybe it is my age (I'm almost 25) or because my psychiatrist increased my antipsychotic dose.

Anyway, I would like to know if any one has had any experience with binging and purging but not purging on purpose bur rather as a reflex.

Thanks everyone.

2. Chaosbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well first off, you gained weight while seeing a trainer because you were gaining muscles and muscles weight more than fat. After my stroke, I started PT/OT and lost inches but gained weight. However, I felt better overall.

Second, I feel you on the psych meds because I gained a lot of weight as well on them for my bipolar. You can always talk to your doctor about changing your meds to a weight neutral one instead. I changed one out of the two I take to weight neutral and I've plateaued in the weight gaining department.

Thirdly, I often get the throwing up feeling when I eat too much. I don't do it on purposed but when I hit that point I can't really help it if it does come back up. I have learned where I can push it to before I get sick. I don't know if it is/was my meds but it was pre-stroke and the stroke only made it worse. Do I think it's an eating disorder? Personally, no I don't. But if it is bothering you I suggest seeing a doctor. It doesn't bother me all that much and it has helped regulate my eating intake since I've learned the signs up to getting to that point. Some times though I don't really pay attention to the signs if it is something I like, lol.