1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel more comfortable talking about sexuality?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by skloorrpt, May 16, 2020.

1. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This might be a bit of a weird question, and I'm not sure how much anyone will be able to help.

I might get the chance to talk to a friend that I trust about the fact that I'm confused about my sexuality. It's an awkward and kind of embarrassing topic for me. I know there would be no judgement from my friend, especially since he is gay, but it's still intimidating and awkward.

I guess this could have gone in the coming out advice section. I didn't post it there because he already knows I'm not sure of my sexuality, but we haven't discussed it at all. I've always found the conversation awkward, even when I was pretty sure I was straight.

I think I'd like to talk about it with someone, because I've been thinking about this so much lately. I know it might be a weird question that no one can really give me advice on. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions anyone had for a way to feel more comfortable talking about it or bringing it up.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sklorrpt,

Sometimes just acknowledging that it will be awkward is a good start to making it more comfortable. I always found that working it into the conversation somehow is a lot less uncomfortable than just bringing it up out of nowhere. The truth is your friend probably went through a similar situation as you are experiencing and I agree that it would be a good idea to talk about it with your friend. Just know that as awkward as it might be to start the conversation, you will probably feel so much better afterwards being able to talk to someone about it.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way and it’s something that I’m working on with my therapist. I hope that it will get easier with practice.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I totally get how awkward these things can feel but accepting that to begin with it will feel a bit awkward often helps, that and just doing it. The more you do it the easier it will get.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  5. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think starting with that would help. I'm not entirely sure what I want to say though.
    I actually talked to him on Discord yesterday and he brought up the time I mentioned this to him. There were other people around though so I didn't really want to discuss it then.
    I might get the chance to see him alone this week and I think I might try to bring it up somehow, just need to actually make myself do it, which is what I struggle with.

6. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I might get the chance to see him alone in person soon, so I'll try to bring it up. It will be a little awkward, but I'll try to step outside my comfort zone a little bit. Hopefully it will help.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  7. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll be seeing him later this week and I'll probably try to bring it up. I might just start out by explaining that it's awkward for me. He'll understand so I hope it isn't too uncomfortable.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a plan. :slight_smile:

I initially told my therapist via email. If your therapist would be ok with that, then it could be a way to get the conversation going.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you really want to talk about it but aren't sure how you will bring it up, you could send him a message before you meet up saying there is something you want to talk about.

Tuesdayok likes this.
  10. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it can be hard to make yourself go through with it. You have it in you to do it! I do agree with Silverhalo though- if you really want to make sure you talk about it, say that there is something you want to talk about before hand.

Tuesdayok likes this.