1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one thing stopping me from identifying as a lesbian....

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lunarqueer, May 14, 2020.

1. lunarqueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm planning on coming out tomorrow (May 15), but I have some lingering doubts. I should have posted this months ago as this has been stopping me from identifying as a lesbian for some time, but was too awkward to be direct.

I am only attracted to guys in one way; automatic arousal (sorry if that's a bit TMI?). It's superficial but annoyingly persistent. I say automatic because it's like my brain registers a conventionally attractive guy and my body reacts, often before I've even got the chance to do more than glance at a blurry shape.

A lot of them look like the typical guy that straight girls probably like, to be honest. It almost always happens with guys on TV (the only guys it's happened with in real life are with 1-2 adult/s that I know irl which is very embarrassing to admit even to myself).

I've also noticed a pattern in which someone will point out an attractive feature in a guy and I will henceforth experience this automatic arousal to similar people. E.g I was watching Sherlock, and I wasn't attracted to any of the characters at all, until I read YouTube comments talking about how attractive Benedict Cumberbatch is and bam! immediately, I experienced automatic arousal when I saw him in Sherlock, even though I don't even really find him particularly objectively attractive? it's very strange.

I'd call this arousal nonconcordance (as I've felt it in other situations where I'd identify it as such), but I just think it's a bit weird that it shows up when I see a certain type of guy, even if it is the typical type of guy I think society would expect me to find attractive. On a subjective/emotional level, I hate it, it makes me really uncomfortable and wish it would leave.

I tried identifying as bi as a result of all this but felt like I was lying - sometimes, I almost found that when I accepted the feeling it seemed to dissipate somewhat? either way, I couldn't relate much to bi girls talking about their attraction to guys. It also bothers me a little since I don't really experience this with girls as far as I can recall, but I experience deeper/other sorts of attraction to girls, so... I don't think I want to do anything with guys, I very rarely fantasise about them and the depth/emotional draw or rush of my attraction to girls just isn't there at all.

I hope this isn't too long, and I'm sorry for posting so much on here, lol. : P I know nobody can tell me what my sexuality is or what labels to use - I guess I just wanted to know if any lesbians, or indeed bisexuals, had experienced this and if it was normal.

2. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    HI, I’m Roura and I am bi. To me it sounds like you are just reacting to what you are told. I have that too sometimes. I can read a list of hottest celebs ever (don’t judge) and then whenever I see them I think, oh, that person is hot, and that person seems hot to me, because I think he/she is. I don’t exactly get ‘aroused’ I think, but I notice it. Honestly you could be bi. I identify as bi and I like girls 80% and guys 20%. And sometimes I like girls only and sometimes boys are a bit higher on the radar.
    You probably need some one a bit more experienced’s advice to actually make you decision, but I just thought I might as well reply because I totally understand what you mean❤️.
    By the way, congrats on being almost ready to come out. I wish I had half you courage!!

lunarqueer likes this.
  3. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh god, I totally relate! I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've also tried identifying as bi, only to find that something about it felt like a lie to me. When I feel "attraction" to men, it's something that I'm almost doing to myself. Like sometimes I feel like I might be happier, or could try harder to like men, and I end up constantly testing myself to see if I could be into them. When I can't conclusively say that I'm entirely disgusted by the idea of being with a man, it freaks me out and makes me feel less sure of being gay. It seems like a common experience among gay women.

Have to say though, I don't think what you're describing sounds particularly bisexual. I think that women who are attracted to men know on some level that they are attracted to men, and they actually want to be with men in real life, not just in theory, even if they have a preference for women. Would you say that you'd want to be with these men you feel "attraction" to if you had the opportunity? If not, I think that could mean you're not really into men, and just a lesbian struggling with your orientation in a hetero-patriarchal society (aka, compulsory heterosexuality). It's more important to ask yourself if you can be genuinely happy with a man than whether or not you *might be* attracted to them.

Lyman and lunarqueer like this.
  4. lunarqueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good to know this kind of thing is normal, because I haven't really heard other people talk about it very much. Actually, I get what you mean about the 'hottest celebs ever' list because I remember one occasion in which my friends showed me a list of 'hot male celebs' (lol) and I remember not feeling anything about any of them, but I think if I saw that list again I might think they were 'hot' because of what you mentioned. Thanks for your reply! : )

I can relate to pretty much everything you've said here, it's good to know it's a common experience for gay women. From what you've said I think I am a lesbian after all, as I never really feel a 'draw' to these guys or want to be with them. I think a lot of this is probably related to the fact that since I'm not necessarily disgusted by the idea of being with guys, it can be hard to tell whether there is an absence of attraction (though I did think I was asexual until I found out how lesbian sex worked, because my only reference was straight sex). Thanks so much for replying! : )

BiGemini87 and rktonks like this.
  5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey dont worry about the length of your post, post as much as you like. Sometimes writing things out can help up figure things out. Fundamentally I believe we can use whatever label we like and we dont have to justify that to anyone. As long as we are being honest with ourselves then I dont see any issue. It sounds like your guy thing is just almost your brains reaction to societies beliefs of what you should find attractive.
    If lesbian feels right for you then I say go for it.

lunarqueer likes this.
  6. lunarqueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That makes sense, thanks for your reply : ) The thing is it sometimes/often feels right, but sometimes I lose sense of my sexuality or which label is right I guess. Unless I decided to come out without labels (which I think I would find it hard to do without it sounding clumsy), I think at this point I will probably say I'm a lesbian, but add a caveat about not being 110% sure (while emphasising that I'm still fairly sure but it's mostly because I lack relationship experience/etc) and maybe explain a bit about heteronormativity (which to be honest I've probably at least briefly mentioned to them at some point already, since I've been a lot less careful about hiding my interest in lgbt+ issues since last June).

I nearly came out to (the rest of - one sibling already knows) my family yesterday as a lesbian; I was really scared (even though I know they're pro-lgbt+ etc) and had been psyching myself up for it, but I kept missing what would have been the right moments to say it, and that stressed me out so I think I'll give myself a day or so to calm down from that in order to disentangle coming out-related stress from label-related stress, if that's a thing lol.

I've also realised I have more internalised homophobia than I thought; in February or so, I thought I was bi and had somehow been repressing my 'attraction to boys' due to a desire to fit in with the lgbt+ community (since biphobia can be an issue), but now I think it was the other way around, that I sometimes repress my attraction to girls? or at least, I sometimes catch myself thinking things like: 'it would be so weird if I didn't like any boys at all', 'I'm supposed to like boys, that's normal' etc, so I think a large part of this also has to do with not letting go of heteronormative ideals and having internalised homophobia, unfortunately.

#6 lunarqueer, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem, it can take your head a while to get everything sorted. I think a lot of people have an element of doubt in their mind when they first start coming out. Some dont and thats fine but its ok to not be 100% sure. One of my biggest fears when I started coming out is that I would come out and then realise I was wrong. Eventually I came to the conclusion that if that worst case scenario happened then sure it would be annoying and there would be some questions from people but labelling yourself isnt a once in a lifetime no going back opportunity. Sure we would all like to get it right first time but if we dont or sometime later something else fits better then when and if that happens we will deal with it and I think for the vast majority of people it never happens.
    My family were all very LGBT friendly but I still definitely had some internalised homophobia. I had had lesbian, ga and bi friends before coming out and had never been homophobic or anything at all, but somehow when I was dealing with my own sexuality there was certainly an element of, well it was ok for them but I dont know about me.

Its also perfectly normal and natural to miss some opportunities that you could have come out in, I am sure everyone does, I certainly did. Don't be too hard on yourself there will be other opportunities and you will get there, sometimes these things just take a few attempts.

lunarqueer likes this.
  8. lunarqueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good to know that other people can also doubt themselves when coming out. I definitely feel better about not being completely confident in my sexuality 100% of the time/being worried about getting it wrong and can pretty much relate to everything you've said here, especially about the internalised homophobia. Thanks for the advice, you've really helped me a lot : )

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anytime. If you ever have any questions or want to chat you can always post on my wall.

lunarqueer likes this.