1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling sad over certain friendships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ljjgreat2017, May 6, 2020.

1. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been feeling sad today. This week was very depressing. I will try my best to keep it short. I know my thoughts will be all over the place.

I have allowed social media to ruin my mood. Yesterday I was scrolling through social media and I started comparing my friendships to other people’s friendships. I noticed some people (who I see in real life) follow other people but not me. Some of my mutual friends are closer to each other than to me.

I feel upset that I don’t have as many friends as others do. I am a shy person so it is hard for me to approach people and make friends. I also have autism which is another problem I have.

I know some of this post doesn’t make sense. But I honestly need help.

gurlinred likes this.
  2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The best thing to do is to appreciate the friends you do have. I have 34 friends. Many of my friends have hundreds of friends. Half of my friends are ones I only know through social media and because they are friends of friends. There are only a small number who actually reply or comment on the things I post. But, I appreciate those people. I'm trying to make myself known to my new friends. I have less than 10 friends who I know in real life, which is more than I had a year ago. Trust me, it's easy to short-change yourself, I do it all the time. Try to think about the positives, rather than the negatives.

Ljjgreat2017 likes this.
  3. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for replying. I will take your advice into consideration.

4. Southpaw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes don’t worry about how many other friends people have. Concentrate on the ones you have. Perhaps for a little while you might have to make a bit more of an effort to get “on their radar” by communicating with them and hopefully that will be reciprocated. And try to let the friendships evolve naturally and in their own time. Sometimes you may make good friends with someone who you trust for them to suddenly go all weird on you and quit contacting you even though you’ve done nothing wrong. You can’t legislate for those kinds of people unfortunately and it’s they who have the problem, not you.

gurlinred likes this.
  5. gurlinred

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In my opinion, you shouldn't worry about other people's friend counts. You have a whole community of people who will do nothing but support you! And strong, healthy relationships tend to take time. I would keep doing what you're doing and eventually, you will meet a new friend or you will grow closer with an old one. :slight_smile:

La Corbeau likes this.