1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you change your surname if you got married?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same. Though, my last name’s the same as a boat company, and one of the reasons I wouldn’t want to change it.

2. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure if they were ok with it.

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've known of queer couples who both have hyphenated their names, others that have made a new name with parts of their previous names. I, personally would talk it over with my partner. What do they want to do?

4. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends. My last name is super boring and common. My brother and I are the last in our paternal lineage, but our last name only goes back three generations. My grandfather only picked it to sound more American. I'd like to redeem my family's ancestral name, but it's a very exotic sounding Russian name, and Russia-phobia is starting to become common again, so I probably won't. Since I'm aspiring to become a published author, if my partner had a last name that would have a nice ring to it when combined with my first name, maybe I would change it, although if I become published before getting married, then I won't.
    Most likely, I probably won't. When I use my middle name, it gives a nice ring to my first and last while being unique enough to distinguish me.

5. Joe Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand many peoples' choice to abandoned the whole adoption of surname based on the patriarchal system behind it, but I definitely want to have the same last name as my husband. It's known among society that a family shares a surname and I really want to have that. My last name is Ray which would be super easy to combine/hyphenate with someone else's name so I could feasibly do that. I'd also consider just abandoning the last name and taking my husband's. I'm black and in Texas so my current last name almost definitely belonged to slave owners or the like, so I don't have a crazy strong connection with it.

6. TheodoreAC

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm in the process of changing my last name to my grandparents last name legally, even if everyone is still calling me Theo C. I want it to be on paper so unless my spouse would want to change theirs or both of us to change ours to a hyphen I wouldn't. Marriage is both wonderful and like stupid to me. Like if two people want to have a celebration of their love, sure, good for them. But It just overly complicate everything if the pair falls out of love.
    But IF I ever got married and IF the other person wanted us to both go through a last name change or they wanted to change theirs, then their/our name/s would change.

7. bzkilintn

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've got no plans to get married, but if I did, I'm certain wouldn't give up my last name. I like the uniqueness and the fact that its part of my identification. Although I toyed with the idea of changing it completely for my own benefit and moving away.

8. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think, being bi, it doesn’t matter. Because wither I marry a guy or girl, I really like my last name, I’m not connect to it or anything, or obsessed with heritage, I just believe that it is my name, and I want to keep,it.

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the surname was better, then yeah. My surname is fairly boring, it's a somewhat uncommon variant of a common name. Which means that it gets mispronounced and incorrectly spelt a lot. I think it's rather dull. So if someone had a name I preferred, I'd probably take it.

#29 Canterpiece, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    most likely, I don't like my last name much : /

11. Loves books

I like my last name even though it’s a bit of a misnomer. It’s the English version of an Irish surname. The direct translation is ‘of the black hair’. It fits my dad but not the two blondes and the brunette kids. They basically took the Irish name removed a few letters and replaced the c with a k. No one can spell it. I’ve had a teacher tell me I spelled my name wrong. She was one letter off. I like it so I’d keep it.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My bf and I have talked about this. We both agree we would keep our last names. We both have hard to pronounce last names and we both hate hyphenated names so we will just keep the names we have already.

13. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd probably either do the hyphenated/both thing or not bother changing anything, idk. My first name, which I chose, is important to me, but I'm pretty neutral towards the last name lol. I don't rly care and it's not some defining part of me.

14. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would depend on the person and what they want as well. But, I kind of think either hyphenated or keep our original names. Depends though.

15. Gaypjo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think taking the others name could be cute. I just think having the same last name as someone could make you feel closer to them. I personally would but it’s very based upon who your talking to.

16. LoveMarshmallow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't mind changing my last name depending on what her's is but I don't want to add them because mine is already pretty long