1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brother is shunning me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andstillimhere7, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    now this is something I’m wanting to get off my chest for a while. I know the answer to this but I just want to express it

My brother has been shunning me for a week and is still doing so because I played a game he wanted to play. Now to give you some context, he’s been wanting a PS4 for a while and play persona 5. So I bought one with my own money and agreed to buy the new one persona 5 Royal. A week before it’s release I got intrigued and wanted to play it. Come the release date and so I bought and he got upset. Now he said he wanted to play first and when he finishes the game I could play after.

A week passes and he hasn’t played the game and I get impatient and want to play it so I play it and then he gets mad and I agreed it has one week more to finish the game. So of course he still has yet to play and on Friday he plays a bit and sends me a text stating that he wants to be the only one in the household playing t because he wants to feel unique. Since the game is based on anime and is an RPG the way he says it comes out as he wants to own the medium. He gives me a text about how he me playing the game just felt as if I was overstepping his boundaries. BUT I just want to play the game also even though I play I still allow him to play.

So of course I told him that if he wants to be this way then fine let’s see how long he keeps this up. So I play and now he hasn’t spoken to me for almost a week.

Now keep in mind we are both adults he is 20 and for him to act like this is absurd. I know the best solution is for him to grow up and just ignore him. But it was really bs that he is like this and thinking that he can own a medium! For someone who waited for almost a year he sure did take his time to play. Heck I was excited within a week of playing that game.

Now his spiel is that he wants to be unique. The game promotes individuality based on how interact with characters and play the game! Personally if he really liked the game then he would play it.

I guess I just want some input about this it’s just ridiculous and I wanted to talk about it

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once didn’t talk to my brother for a month because he told someone I was allergic to kissing. I communicated with him via Morse code with a pencil. Mostly because he had a car and would take me places.

Iunno. Brothers are stupid. In hindsight you’re both going to realize that this isn’t worth the effort. Go talk to him. He’ll come around.

#2 musicteach, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't say how old your brother is, but this sort of sibling rivalry isn't uncommon, especially teens and early 20s. Honestly, it's pretty ridiculous, and something that 5 years from now you'll both laugh about. But for the moment, the best you can do is realize you didn't do anything wrong, and he's just being a dick.

4. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He did, 20 exactly. I thought the same thing. Brothers are well. Idiots, sometimes.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a control issue that clearly goes beyond the video game. I loath blaming parents for their adult children's issues because so much in life is truly beyond their control, but in this case parental favoritism is likely the seed of the problem. It is a sad statistic: 70% of parents admit to favoring one child over another and everyone is negatively effected by it - the unfavored children feel neglected and the favored children stress over performance issues. You say you know the answer, and that's cool, but I do feel compelled to remind you that as the "more" adult in the room there are things you can do. First, don't take it personally. Your parents did this to him, and to you too, so try thinking of your brother as an unfortunate victim instead of seeing him as acting like a jerk at times, which only perpetuates the rivalry. Yes, it sucks that he's being such a baby about this but you can't really blame a baby for wanting love and approval even if that baby is in his 20's. It's tough and unfair to you, I agree, but you have to just accept the reality of your situation. Look, you love your brother, right? So don't let a stupid video game cause so much stress between you two. In the future don't make deals with him like this. It only leads to problems. Let this incident go and let him have it his way this time to avoid conflict, but in the future don't make deals like this with him again. He has his life and you have yours. If he wants to own the latest medium he can get his own console and games This one you bought is yours. You aren't being a bad brother by doing this, on the contrary, you are protecting your brother by avoiding conflict between you too. And that is being a good brother.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Believe me, sibling behaviour patterns stick with you and last long in to life well after 20!

7. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, I have 4 brothers, and honestly, my brothers are like that, especially one, who is stubborn as heckIt’s like, even if he doesn’t want something any more or anything, he still follows suit with what he said he’d do. Honestly, regardless the age, siblings get pigheadedly stubborn. You two will probably be fine soon.