1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

labels

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ellief, Apr 13, 2020.

1. ellief

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i do not like being placed under categories, and quite honestly, i feel as if my sexuality isn't something that truely defines me. like in a way i kind of don't want to have a sexuality. i absolutely hate labels and when someone calls me bi, it just doesn't feel right. i feel like people should be whoever they wanna be. like i should be known for being ellie. not for being straight, bi, pan, gay, whatever. like sexuality for me is something more fun. like who cares who i like cuz i dont care. like if i were to say my sexuality i would say its who cares. idk if this is normal.
    i recently "came out" to 2 friends and i said i'm not only into boys. i never gave myself a label and they somehow managed to categorize me into bi which i never said. i don't wanna be known for that. i just wanna be me. idk this is really hard to explain, im just wondering if anyone feels or has ever felt the same. like i just hate the labels thing i don't get it.

2. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

That's true, your sexuality is only one part of you. If you don't like the word 'bi' i guess you could look at using a more general umbrella term.

It's difficult because sometimes a label can be helpful with getting people to understand each other. But also it can feel restrictive, especially if you can't find one that is a good fit for you.

I agree that no-one should care who you like. Hopefully your friends didn't mean to annoy you by labelling you that way. You are still you and they shouldn't treat you any differently after that conversation.

I think a lot of people on here will be either still trying to find an appropriate label that they feel accurately describes them or don't like using them at all. I've seen plenty of people here who just put 'other' on their profiles, so you aren't alone.

ellief likes this.
  3. ellief

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yes exactly my point! i'm just so confused yk. the labels just don't feel right.