1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else on the Autism Spectrum?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marble Jar, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

Just wondering if there are many others on here...

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :hand_splayed: high-functioning but meee. Apparently my teachers brought it up to my mum when I was pretty young but she didn't mention anything to me until I was about to graduate from high school. Definitely explains a lot.

#2 Batman, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  3. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

Me too. That's interesting. It's not something anyone figured out for a long time with me, but now i know, things make a lot more sense.

4. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some strong traits in myself here. Also, reading between the lines a bit I'd say there were plenty others here, though many may not know it themselves. As an aside, autistic folks far more likely to be non-binary or gender-fluid.

5. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

I did wonder if that could be the case, although i wasn't sure why that would be. Any thoughts on how there could be a correlation? Have you read about that somewhere or is it more just people you've met?

6. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a lot of co-morbidity in psychology. When I read some of the things autistic people say and do, I see some of that in me. Maybe not enough for a diagnosis.

8. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

9. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

It took me a lot of reading and research to realise it about myself. It can be enlightening to have those moments where you read something and think 'that's exactly how it is for me!'. Same as with Gender and Sexuality.

10. Ryu

Ryu

I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was in primary school
    I was also diagnosed with depression which my parents didn't tell me about until last year
    Which explains a lot
    Lol

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its been suggested

12. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

Hopefully the more you know about stuff like that, the better you can understand what's going on, and access any help that could be available to you.

13. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

It was suggested to me by a relative a long time before i came to the same conclusion. I wasn't sure if they were joking in the beginning, but then i started reading up on it and realised they were onto something.

14. Rya

Rya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm on the waiting list for my assessment, but my GP and my therapist think so definitely.

15. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

Good luck with your assessment. I hope you are able to access some support (if you are looking for that).

16. Rya

Rya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, I have been told that I could be waiting up to two years for the assessment though, and I don't get any support until I have the diagnosis.

17. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cousin was xiagnosed at 12 years, and it made a massive difference so if help is available grab it with both hands! I wish diagnosis and the same help had been available back when I was a kid - could have made such a difference in my life.

I say 'could' as actually my family set up was so dysfunctional there's no wonder I was a bit messed up and not processing in the usual way. 5 months of therapy now and I'm starting to see just how the absence of nurture affected and still affects me, and the effects are really not too dissimilar to some elements of autism. So who knows. All i know now is that my brain is wired in a somewhat auty manner.

#17 Oliverrrrr, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  18. Loves books

My aunt has been telling me for years she thinks I have aspergers. She thinks I’m obsessed with reading and I’m not good with social interactions. I’d rather spend time in my room reading than spending time with people I accidentally insult. Some other things fit but some don’t. By now my mother is convinced she’s right. When I went to college I asked for an assessment. I had to get a referral from a psychologist first. She gave me some quick test that said I was borderline then gave me the referral. I left college after a year without the assessment being done. I just read up on autism in adults and a lot of it fits. But from that I wonder if my dad is autistic or has a severe personality disorder. The shrieking weird noises for no apparent reason seems slightly autistic. The years of verbal abuse that has now become constant doesn’t.

19. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

Yeah unfortunately the waiting lists are really long. At least you are in the queue now. Make sure to follow it up though if you don't get an appointment eventually as someone i know was 'forgotten' about.

20. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

If i'd known at 12 it would have been a big help to me. That was about the time things started to get really difficult socially. Glad you are getting some therapy Oliverrrrr. You could always look into it further in the future if it was of interest to you.