1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning everything again after being sexually assaulted

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mifora, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Mifora

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to spend a lot of time on these forums when I was trying to come to terms with my same sex attraction. I’m female, married to a man, love him so, so much, and I’m also attracted to women. I have been struggling with my attraction to men vs. my attraction to women, trying to find out if they are both “real” or if I just think I want to be with a man because of social conditioning or whatever, but I ended up deciding I’m in a relationship that I cherish and I don’t want to change anything. That was four years ago and we have been happy, most of the time.

4 months ago I was raped on the way home from a party by a stranger. I was scared he would hurt my, but it wasn’t that violent, I was very drunk and scared and unable to defend myself. I have been feeling a lot of guilt about that, and the past months have been awful. My husband has been supportive. I have gone to therapy and I have been dealing with the legal process and it has been exhausting.

I feel like I am starting to recover, but suddenly all the confusion about my sexuality has resurfaced and I hate that it’s happening right now. I have too much stuff to deal with.

I find myself looking at people in the street and comparing my reactions to them, and I know that’s a kind of obsessive-compulsive behavior and not healthy at all, but I still do it. I feel so guilty about everything. And I don’t want to put THIS burden on my husband right now that we are going through all of the other things.

I feel like I check out some men and a lot of women, but I fantasize mostly about men. I don’t have much experience with women and maybe I need that before I can reach any sort of conclusion. But I don’t want to cheat, my husband doesn’t want an open relationship and I don’t want to throw everything away. Sometimes I feel like I just need FREEDOM. I need to sort things out without being in a relationship and being responsible for another person. But I feel like if we were not together I would want to date and have sex with other men, as well as women, so maybe sexual orientation isn’t the problem, maybe I’m just bored. Or maybe I’m just not a monogamous person. When I try to imagine a different life I don’t envision myself in a relationship. I just think about living alone and going on dates in the weekend. But I’m married with small children and it’s really stressful so maybe I just long for some privacy and time to myself.

I feel so awful having all those thoughts right now. I don’t know how to sort this out. Please respond even if you don’t have advice, I just need someone to tell me I’m not crazy or a bad person.
    I feel like I’m just a burden on him right now. He has done so much to help me. We have been having some problems because he disagreed with the way I wanted to handle the rape (I wanted to report it and he thought it was a bad idea), but he has been telling me over and over it wasn’t my fault and he has been so patient with me.

Our sex life is good and always have been. I used to be very turned on by the idea of being dominated by a man, but it has changed after the assault, so some of the stuff we used to do makes me uncomfortable. But our sex life isn’t ruined by the assault or the questioning process.

2. olderwiser

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Life will get better, times will improve and you will find you are stronger than you think. Move forward, do not look back...

3. Really

You are so NOT crazy or a bad person! I am so sorry this happened to you. How awful! It sounds like you have but if not, I hope you do report it. Besides any legal aspect, it can only help your mental health in regards to taking back control of this situation. And further to that, are you getting counselling/therapy for this? I think it would be very important and if you can find someone who also works with lgbt people, that would be great. Go through everything you’re concerned about. I don’t think ignoring any of this will be helpful in the long run even if it seems so right now.
    We’re here too if you need somewhere to hash out what you’re going through. Hang in there.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  4. Mifora

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, both of you. I have reported it, and I am in therapy. I used to be in therapy back when I was questioning my sexual orientation a lot, but I have found a different therapist now because I wanted one who was trained in dealing with sexual assault victims. She’s great, but I haven’t even gotten to the sexual orientation thing yet. I know I need to bring it up. I have been so focused on recovering from the assault so could get back to being myself and being with my husband and children. But now that I am getting better I am not even sure who I am and what I want from life anymore. I’m questioning pretty much everything about my life, including career choices and stuff like that. This has been such a difficult time and I don’t think I am the same person anymore but I don’t know exactly how I have changed.
    But I feel like I have spent so much so much time feeling guilty and ashamed because of something that someone else did to me... and now I don’t want to feel guilty anymore. I’m done apologizing for things I can’t control

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you mention to your therapist that you’re now questioning lots of things? Perhaps they’ll have experience of clients with similar things and will be able to support you through working through it. Start general and bring up the sexuality part when you’re ready.

I’m really sorry that this happened to you. Take care of yourself.