1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News COVID- 19 a.k.a. Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kyrielles, Mar 13, 2020.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very much of the opinion that I'd rather be paranoid and over-prepared than accidentally pass it on to someone who it could really hurt or kill. Since there's a lot of people coming forward and saying that there's not enough testing, I believe the numbers are worse than what's reported. I'm not happy about my classes going online, my college graduation postponed, or basically disappearing from my friends for the rest of the semester. But if something I carelessly spread, because I was too selfish to take the steps, ended up killing someone? I couldn't live with the guilt.

Italy is about 10 days ahead of the US in terms of the spread/effect, and everything from there is saying not to take this as a joke.

I live about an hour away from home and want nothing more than to be with my parents and sister right now, but I was on a campus of 50k people. The odds of me having been exposed already are not great. My dad is being optimistic, but I highly doubt he'd make it out of this okay if he were to get it. I'm trying to wait it out and see if I don't have symptoms, but it's hard to tell. I also worry that if some kind of mandatory quarantine were in place, I wouldn't be able to travel the hour to wait it out with them.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The guilt part is hard with this. It means you have a conscience.

Even though there is no precise rule, if a person is more than 14 days past from being in crowds or near a sick person, and they have no symptoms, is it more likely they wouldn't have this? I would think completely asymptomatic people would be unusual.

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that would be a pretty safe bet. I'm just not 100% sure since there's a lot of unknowns in this situation. I've been keeping myself isolated, hoping that I'll see a symptom before I make the decision to go home, so that I can reverse said decision if need be.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to the data we have (which is not unimpeachable, but pretty decent), about 98-99% of people will show symptoms in 14 days. So if someone has self-quarantined for 14 days, they are likely not contagious UNLESS they had a very mild case, where symptoms would not be obvious... which is apparently also possible. But on the whole what you are saying matches current thinking as I understand it.

5. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My understanding is that unsymptomatic people is not uncommon. Also, 14 days for infected people to show symptoms can be 21 days for around 10%.
    Keep in mind that anyone could be completely, or mostly unsymptomatic yet still able to infect people. I'm currently nervous of anyone coughing around me.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm more concerned with the plague of stupid than the actual virus. I hope all of those hoarders stocked up on birth control to keep from spreading more stupid. TP for a respiratory problem is dumb and flour doesn't do you much good without: baking soda, yeast, eggs and butter. That and it is disturbing how many people have not been washing their hands correctly.

I'm all for precautions, but I think we have gone from not caring to over reacting by a fair margin. Sure a few events or festivals do make a little sense to cancel or postpone. All sporting events could have continued as scheduled simply by not having an audience in physical seats, they are all televised. The goofs at the WWE managed to figure that out.

And the next person that glares at me for coughing from seasonal allergies, I'm going to hit them in the face with a 2x4.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would rather be a little symptomatic than asymptomatic. It would tell someone to stay in or go outside carefully.

Seasonal allergies are with me every spring. They hurt and give me a headache, but no fever. I sneeze every now and then. In the last month, I have either sneezed outdoors in a parking lot and try to aim for my sleeve. It's better to see mucus than have someone get sick. If the test becomes available to everyone and anyone, I would like to take it.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is that if you have political leadership that is not listening to what health authorities are saying around the world and dismissing all the evidence in front of them as nothing to worry about, trying to catch up on all the things that could have been done but were not done to prevent the spread as much as possible, then this is what one ends up with,unfortunately. Listening to epidemiologists and people who have actually studied epidemics and how they evolve and spread, there is a compelling argument for that more stringent measures actually need to be taken.

At this point, and in order to ensure that the epidemic curve is flattened, in other words for the American health system to be able to cope with a rise in severe cases and be able to support those who are infected and experience not just a mild version of it, you want your leaders to listen to public health authorities and put in the stops.

I do not think that it has really sunk in, in particular among the American public and others that this virus is not to be taken lightly. It is actually mind boggling to me how lightly some people are taking this even though there is plenty of evidence on the ground that if the virus is not contained as much as possible, it will spread like a wild fire in a dried out forest.

Looking at the latest numbers in the United States, I would not be surprised if the total numbers double or rise three times as high, if not more, in a week or so from now. Italy broke the 31,500 mark despite being in a lock down nation wide. It added 3,500 cases in one day. Imagine what could happen if things continue the way they have.

9. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that this part is what concerns me most.

We’re a massive school district. My school is a regional high school and we pull students from 4 counties natively — ie if you’re in these four counties you’ll go to us by default. 4 middle schools were directly feed from. Plus we receive probably 2-300 students outside of our district that their parents opt to drive them to us. We have a faculty in my school of over 300 skilled teachers teaching everything from advanced calculus to Russian. We’re big, ok?

I mention that because I want this to really have impact: in 48hrs, we completely flipped from a traditional classroom setting to an online format. 99.1% of our students are set up to ride out the next two weeks from the comforts of their homes and we’re pulling technology resources for the remainder. Our team of talented teachers completely flipped the script and wrote their entire curriculum for the rest of the year for an online format to be prepared in case this goes longer than expected. Our cafeteria team is now offering almost like meals on wheels to provide one bag lunch per student so that they will at least have something if nothing else.

The thanks we got?

16,000 emails, phone calls, and texts complaining that our measures were too extreme and we were overreacting. And it’s been a similar situation across the country.

10. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Bravo! Couldn’t have said it better!

11. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The government here still doesn’t test enough people to figure out who’s got it. They’ve set up more isolation facilities though. Most foreigners have left the country or are in the process of leaving. Restaurants and coffee shops are closed, and people are walking around with surgical masks on. Many workplaces are downsizing or collapsing outright because fewer people leave their homes and hardly anyone buys anything.

I lost my job (worked with international students), my school switched to fully online classes which sucks (all gatherings of 10 people or more were banned), people treat me as if I’m spreading the virus because I’m Asian (they actually asked me not to enter our local grocery store the other day, and a Chinese worker was beaten up by a mob), and it just feels like there’s nothing much to do but sit at home alone and wait for this mess to be over. I want my life back.

12. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my biggest concerns is how many people are going to end up bankrupt and homeless because of this. While some states are setting up measures to help people stay in their homes other states or not. Also the bias shown towards Asian folks, it’s really kind of sickening to me. My daughter at the University of New Mexico got to witness what was labeled as a prank, but was really more like a hate crime. They put some tape on the door and put like a biohazard quarantine sign on this Asian kids dorm room it’s really sad. I really thought that society has progressed past this but apparently not.

13. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We're screwed. It just keeps growing and growing. I find it ironic that when it comes to climate change, old people dismiss it since it "probably" won't get bad in their lifetimes, and leave young people to deal with their ignorance, and now the shoe is finally on the other foot - the disease is most deadly to the elderly, so young people dismiss it, not caring they can pass it on to the vulnerable elders. I guess it's living proof that what goes around comes around. Of course, young people who dismiss the virus are idiots. A good chunk of young adults still go in critical condition, even if their mortality rate is lower. In fact, in Italy right now, the healthcare system is so overloaded, young people in critical condition from covid19 are being chosen over elderly patients to be saved. We see just how devastating covid19 can be in Iran, where thanks to the barbaric embargo on medical supplies (because apparently, ventilators can be used to make hydrogen bombs), the death rate is multiple times higher. That sky high mortality rate in Iran is going to be the US once our own system gets overloaded. We're screwed. We spent trillions going to war, and never bothered to stock up on hospital beds and ventilators in our own country. This is what happens when we live in a country ruled by corruption.

14. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The economic impact will definitely be huge, especially if this situation lasts 18 months like some people say.
    I really feel awful for that student. I would not have felt safe in a place like that.

15. Joelouis

Here in the U.K., I’m just amazed at all those selfish people that are doing multiple trips to the supermarkets to overstock on everything and anything. We’ve had parents giving their kids their own shopping trolley in an attempt at getting round the “three of any one item” rule. Greed, panic, concern, selfishness - whatever you want to call it.
    All because someone put on social media that their local store ran out of bog-roll!

16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Rinn, I want you to know not everyone is a racist bitch, and some of us are as fed up as you, even if I'm not asian. I've been a sucker for chinese takeaway, and I will keep enjoying my guilty pleasure. I'm aware of how hard they struggle to keep their business alive, I pass by everyday and see their faces at the empty restaurant.
    They were there for me as I came back home, beat and defeated after extremely long working days, with a friendly smile and the best food you can get. I even told them so today, after many, many years of not saying it. I hope they appreciated it, it's not easy for me to talk feelings with complete strangers.

I believe you were not alone. Asians as a group are being victimized. No reasonable person wishes to live on a racist society. Your loss is MY loss.
    Keep safe!

To all of you, please follow the advice from official sources, and do not rush to spread everything you read on social networks.

You've got a responsibility as a citizen to help, by following quite simple rules and keeping calm. Energy is not infinite, and I believe the best we can do right now is to keep our energy, not waste it by getting upset or angry on social media.

We've got a problem and we must deal with it, right here and right now.

To spread rumours is irresponsible. Think twice before you post, if not for you, for your children and loved ones. Think of me, I did nothing wrong to you.

We have been complaining the day hasn't enough hours, we never get anything done. Right now is the perfect moment to do all those things we've been pushing away. It is also the time to get in touch with the ones we love, and tell them how we feel about them. I've done this, and my honesty has rewarded me. It felt scary, but it was worth it.

Believe it or not, this might be a chance to really make a difference, in both your own life and the lives of many others.

#36 Michael, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2020
  17. Loves books

I’m not overly worried about the virus on its own but more the repercussions on everyday life. I always had a thing about germs on my hands and washed them about 20 times a day with anti bacterial soap. Now I can’t find that soap in shops because everywhere is sold out. Ireland went in to survival mode very quickly. Schools, daycares and colleges were closed even before the first death in the country and if you can work from home, you should.I have an underlying medical condition but I think if I got it I’d survive. My local shop is sold out of my favorite flavour of pringles but have every other flavour. I know Pringles play no role in the state of the world but they affect my everyday life because I eat them everyday. My bathroom is full of toilet paper. It says clearly on the pack “ produced in Ireland” I highly doubt we’ll run out. My mother acts like leaving the house is extremely dangerous. I think the chance of me getting the virus from someone on a windy beach is small but whatever. My dog had a grooming appointment Friday my mother asked me to skip. I refused and found out they cancelled all groomings after today and she knew and still asked me to skip it. The dog can’t get the virus so what’s the problem. I just hope that there will be a vaccine soon and life can go back to normal.

18. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. There are very few Asians who live here permanently, unlike in Western countries, so we stand out even more. It’s tough in times like this. I just really hope this mess ends soon. I have no idea how I’m going to get the money for rent, people treat me like I’m a threat and the whole country is on lockdown.

19. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. Hang in there.

20. Corax

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have terrible lungs already. This virus and the projected infection rates are terrifying to me. Especially given that the majority of people are stuck in "well if I only get mildly sick, I don't see why I should be inconvenienced" mode.